$100 Wusthof Classic Ikon Nakiri or a Japanese Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantality

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm aware that a lot of the users on here are very fond of Japanese knives, but I was wondering if Wusthof Classic Ikon would be a good grab at such a big discount.

If you needed a Nakiri knife, would you get this one? Or find something in the Buy/Sell/Trade section on here?

Any opinion is appreciated!

Wüsthof Classic Ikon Hollow-Edge Nakiri Knife | Williams Sonoma (williams-sonoma.com)

1651106298043.png

I would not get that one. The steel/HT is alright but you can do better without much more cost. This is more gimmick than anything. The knife will be very handle heavy, will have a rather thick grind and the dimples do next to zero for food release.

Toss another $25-50 onto that and look to something like a Tsunehisa. Far superior.

Personally, I'd skip it. Mass-produced imitations of Japanese knives don't seem that interesting, even before the gratuitous scallops that no true nakiri would ever benefit from.

It wouldn't take many more dollars than that to find something truly lovable.

Victorinox Rosewood Santoku is worth every dollar. But yeah for a hundred USD bucks I'd look elsewhere for sure.

I would not get that one. The steel/HT is alright but you can do better without much more cost. This is more gimmick than anything. The knife will be very handle heavy, will have a rather thick grind and the dimples do next to zero for food release.

Toss another $25-50 onto that and look to something like a Tsunehisa. Far superior.

Show him the picture! :)

Yeah, I would skip out on this and get the Tsunehisa ginsan Nakiri. You can find two the nashiji and migaki versions under Tsunehisa at Carbon Knife Co. You can also find them at CKTG (nashiji under Harukaze G3 and Migaki under Tsunehisa).

The recently released yahiko Ginsan from cktg is the exact same knife as the tsunehisa for just over $100. It also comes with hand engraving and Sakura wood octo handle by konosuke.

The wusthof version of nakiri is not worth the money. I would pay $40 max for it.

Tsunehisa is a very good value. I always forget about them when recommending ~$120 knives. I have a gyuto that gets a lot of use and is impressive for the price.
Not to hijack the thread, but upon on checking Tsunehisa Ginsan Nashiji lines seems pretty amazing for the price, their grind looks on par with knives more than 2 times their price, thin bte, good convexing, has anyone tried them? Is there any downside?
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...ucts/tsunehisa-ginsan-nashiji-kiritsuke-240mmhttps://carbonknifeco.com/collections/tsunehisa-knives/products/tsunehisa-g3-ginsan-gyuto-240mm

Not to hijack the thread, but upon on checking Tsunehisa Ginsan Nashiji lines seems pretty amazing for the price, their grind looks on par with knives more than 2 times their price, thin bte, good convexing, has anyone tried them? Is there any downside?
https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...ucts/tsunehisa-ginsan-nashiji-kiritsuke-240mmhttps://carbonknifeco.com/collections/tsunehisa-knives/products/tsunehisa-g3-ginsan-gyuto-240mm
I have the same impression, but I have never tried one. I keep buying other knives and stones instead. I did see/hold one at Ai&Om, and the edge bevel was a little fat, but that is nothing a little thinning couldn’t fix.

If you are looking for an in-depth review, I think that @ModRQC did a really nice review of a Hitohira Futana S3 bunka, which is the same as the nashiji line but with a nicer handle.

I have the same impression, but I have never tried one. I keep buying other knives and stones instead. I did see/hold one at Ai&Om, and the edge bevel was a little fat, but that is nothing a little thinning couldn’t fix.

If you are looking for an in-depth review, I think that @ModRQC did a really nice review of a Hitohira Futana S3 bunka, which is the same as the nashiji line but with a nicer handle.
Thank you, just found it. Seems really nice value, the choil indeed reminds me of Yoshikane and associates, specifically Nihei, for half of the price it is pretty amazing.

I respectfully disagree about the steel being OK. Its only merit is being stainless, and fool-proof. But since Wüsthof has turned into robotised production their knives come with edges the steel hardly takes and certainly doesn't hold. A 13° dps edge with this steel just can't be deburred. Have seen the most spectacular wire edges coming OOTB. The only thing you can do with the steel is giving it a highly convexed, but certainly not polished edge ending at some 18-20° or higher.
If you go beyond 1.5k JIS, expect the edge to become unstable because of the carbides breaking out of the soft matrix. I sharpen Wüsthofs on a 600 stone and deburr on a 1200, if not with the green side of a kitchen sponge, to give an idea of the high degree of refinement the steel takes.
As for those dimples, apart from being ugly: they make the blade even thicker behind the edge and hinder the very necessary thinning. They reduce the life span dramatically. As soon as the bevel reaches the dimples sharpening has become impossible and the knife is simply lost. But you still have the nice handle to look at.

Hello guys,

I'm aware that a lot of the users on here are very fond of Japanese knives, but I was wondering if Wusthof Classic Ikon would be a good grab at such a big discount.

If you needed a Nakiri knife, would you get this one? Or find something in the Buy/Sell/Trade section on here?

Any opinion is appreciated!

Wüsthof Classic Ikon Hollow-Edge Nakiri Knife | Williams Sonoma (williams-sonoma.com)

View attachment 176935

I would definitely go Buy/Sell here. While I still have and use a couple of my old German knives I only do so for specific tasks. Other than those few I prefer the feel, performance and feedback of Japanese -- especially carbon -- knives.

MAG

Just look at what you can get on BST for $160.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/moritaka-as-nakiri-180mm.58893/
I am pretty sure that what looks like an edge ding in the first picture is a piece of dirt, and the weird thing at the toe in the last picture is a photographic anomaly, but you could always ask @Brian Weekley about that.

Great eyes … thanks for catching these. The ding is a ding, not dirt and the choil shot photo is an anomaly. I addressed both of these items (and reduced the price) in the BST thread.

Thanks again.

Back