120, 220, 320? Yes? No? Depends?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this on IG and thought of this thread. No thinning, but they repaired some significant chips on SG120 - SG500 - SG1000 - SG4000 - SG8000. I think OP owns all of those except for the 120 in question?

I’m surprised the sharpener in the IG post didn’t recommend thinning given how significant the chips were.

Login • Instagram

Hello Pot. I'm Kettle. 😁

You didn't lecture me when I bought that new Soft Ark the other day. :p
"You do not need anything else" - come on, this statement is frighteningly realistic and extremely anti-hobby!

My humble apologies, I don't know what came over me. I unreservedly recant my initial statement!

(FWIW - for a cheap option I'm really liking the King 300 when soaked. Though tbh when I've got heavy duty stuff to do - I still reach for the vitrified stuff more).

My humble apologies, I don't know what came over me. I unreservedly recant my initial statement!

(FWIW - for a cheap option I'm really liking the King 300 when soaked. Though tbh when I've got heavy duty stuff to do - I still reach for the vitrified stuff more).
You may absolve of your sin with sharpening 2 Global's and 3 Cuisinart's, successfully.

In my personal experience the other attributes of the stone whatever they may be, and I’m not knowledge Enough to quantify this, have more to do with how good it is for thinning than the absolute grit rating. 220 pink brick is good to have, Baryonyx Mutt is good, SP120 I’ve had mixed results with but I feel like I’m really still learning the nuances of coarse stones. After any of the super coarse ones, Gesshin 400 soaker does a great job at restoring a finish and preparing for mid grit. With any of these, One of the grooved stone fixers is good to have because I like the surface dress from that way better than a diamond plate — the Atoma 140 flattens but leaves the surface too smooth to bite.

Latest posts

Back