120 ish grit stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone any suggestions, preferably splash and go, for good 120 ish grit stones.

From what I understand the Shapton Pro and Glass 120's are problematic in that they glaze pretty easily and need resurfacing regularly. Is that your experience?

What other options have people tried that work pretty well?

What would it be used for? Edge repair and reprofiling? Thinning? What steels? Stainless/iron?
The context is my traveling kit for my sharpening side hustle. Run into a lot of completely dull beaters, some scalloped, some with broken tips etc.

For scalloping, German style bolsters and broken tips I’ve been using an American mutt which works great for that but it isn’t very fast at creating edges so I’ve been using a Shapton 220 in that roll.

what I’m looking for is the fastest stone to creat bevels on totally dull crap steel and Germans.

The context is my traveling kit for my sharpening side hustle. Run into a lot of completely dull beaters, some scalloped, some with broken tips etc.

For scalloping, German style bolsters and broken tips I’ve been using an American mutt which works great for that but it isn’t very fast at creating edges so I’ve been using a Shapton 220 in that roll.

what I’m looking for is the fastest stone to creat bevels on totally dull crap steel and Germans.

I would go with a coarse India or Crystolon.

I think you will have the problem with the glazing with every stone in this grit range.

For the intended purpose, @stringer 's tip would be pretty good. I only know the Norton India Medium, but it's really fast. If the coarse is even faster then it would be great for the purpose. And as far as I know, you can also use the stone with water. Oil is not mandatory.

As above...

Vitrified SiC or AlOx (Crystolon, India &c.) are going to be way, way ahead of ‘waterstones’ for this kind of thing.

Come over to the dark side ;).

Come over to the dark side ;).
No, no, don't make me. Anything but that.

For the intended purpose, @stringer 's tip would be pretty good. I only know the Norton India Medium, but it's really fast. If the coarse is even faster then it would be great for the purpose. And as far as I know, you can also use the stone with water. Oil is not mandatory.

Will definitely take a look at those. Thanks guys 🧐

I like a Crystolon course and India fine pairing.
Thanks. Will def try the Nortons.

I have the Manticore and Mutt. The Manticore for me is slow. It glazes too quickly to get much out of it. My guess is its made for softer steels and more pressure. The Mutt on the other hand has been great for fixing scalloping that often happens with German knives as it so gouge proof. Its just not that fast when you cant have localized high pressure on it :(

Last edited:
SiC is a little faster, dishes a little slower. AlO handles harder steels a little better. But they are very similar.

We are all very glad to have the synthetics or we wouldn't have the manufactured products from the tools which made them which were ground down using those abrasives. It is astonishing how far abrasives have come in the last century.

Looks like a choice of two. Which should I try? ( I have zero experience with these stones )

I'd echo what @HumbleHomeCook and @stringer said... they are really quite similar, but for for very quick and coarse work SiC/Crystolon would probably edge it. For 'finer' grades (like 400-800 JIS equivalent) then AlOx/India stones are better.

Also what @KingShapton said - the Norton Medium India is an utterly superb stone. Maybe I'll glue one to a Cerax 1.5 or 3k one day... :D

SiC is a little faster, dishes a little slower. AlO handles harder steels a little better. But they are very similar.
This is unexpected as silicon carbide (Crystolon) is harder and more friable than brown aluminum oxide (India) so I would expect it to dish slower and cut harder steel a little better, and the India is known for a hard bond so it shouldn't be the that. If you didn't accidentally transpose the two I would like to try to understand why this is so and under what parameters, e.g. pressure, lubrication, etc.

Latest posts

Back