130mm Petty vs. 150mm Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echotraveler

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I work in a professional kitchen, and wonder which petty to get. Im infatuated with the Takamura migaki line, as i use the 21omm R2 Takamura Migaki on a daily basis and simply LOVE the thing...now i want to have the smaller brother. Not sure which size to get.

On the one side, i like the 130mm because its more like a pearing, but on the other the 150mm could cover more bases. Id like to know your opinons on this debate 130mm vs 150mm

thnx

Currently I find myself reaching for my 150mm petty more than a paring on most days, but it really depends on the kitchen and whatever my mise requires.

If I could only choose one, I would go for the 150 petty and get a couple of cheapo victorinox paring knives to cover both ends.

I guess I’m the opposite. You can do more the 150, but all the extra things you can do with the 150 you can also do with a gyuto. With the 130 it’s a lot easier to do in-hand work that is harder for a 150 or a gyuto.

I would pick the 130.
This is how I use my 130 TF petty too. I would use a 150 if I intended to do more board work, but a lot of petties don't offer much knuckle clearance. It all depends what you plan to do with the knife.

Currently I find myself reaching for my 150mm petty more than a paring on most days, but it really depends on the kitchen and whatever my mise requires.

If I could only choose one, I would go for the 150 petty and get a couple of cheapo victorinox paring knives to cover both ends.
I vibe with this approach most. There's something about the shape and nature of some 150's I love. I think it started with a ginga w2 150 many moons ago. But its true what the others say, 150 is superfluous between 180 and 130 or a regular pairing. Still each to their own

I had the 130, and a Ginga 120, and now use nothing smaller than a 150. Really a combination of personal preference and what’s best suited to your current task portfolio though.

ok let me tell you the actual use for this knife

My current petty is 140mm, and only used during service for cutting marinated eggs, and thin avocado slices.

Prep is done 100% with gyuto, and even in service, if i have to chop up some garlic or lemons....etc i grab the gyuto.

The petty is used because of space and fast pace nature of service and plating.

So im actually leaning towards 150m, as id actually love to use a 180mm now...which takamura doesnt make.

I actually use the takamura hsps pro 150mm petty at work every single day. Great knife!
140mm or 150mm is what you’re looking for if you’re doing in hand work.
As far as I can tell the main advantage for a 165-180 is with butchering.

I use a 150 everyday, i also have a couple of smaller petties here and there collecting dust.

I like my petties 150+ mm, stainless, and western handled if possible

A petty is for board work. A parer is for in hand work. To go 130mm to cover both will give a knife that just barely works for either. Skip it. Go 150mm or even 165mm and keep it on the board. Buy an inexpensive Victorinox or a Kyocera parer for the rare in hand work.

A petty is for board work. A parer is for in hand work. To go 130mm to cover both will give a knife that just barely works for either. Skip it. Go 150mm or even 165mm and keep it on the board. Buy an inexpensive Victorinox or a Kyocera parer for the rare in hand work.
And don't expect either to work for peeling if you're right-handed. Get a cheap Robert Herder Windmill instead. It has the appropriate inverted geometry for peeling: left face convexed, right one flat, edge off-centered to the right.

I Might consider a robert heder windmills pearing...sounds like a good tool, my pearing gets dull so fast, but its a $4.00knife so...

BTW i got a 150mm Takamura Migaki R2 Petty. Im glad to have this forum for reference, will keep you guys posted as i get to use it daily.
This will be my Migaki Gyuto Partner, its personal thing to have the gyuto and petty from the same series, its sort of aesthetic. Also in this case satisfies my r2 steel feverish craving.

Is the 130mm migaki less of a laser because of the reduced heel height but 1.6mm spine?

And for quartering cherry tomatoes for salad, do people prefer the 130 or 150

i have a 75 mm petty that i use mostly for garlic and cheese, but would also work for cherry tomatoes, and a 150 mm petty for random things i don't need a gyuto for, and a 90 mm paring knife for in hand work. 130 really seems like a no-mans land and either too big or too small to be useful for much.

I love my 150mm ginga petty, I find it super useful on the line and at home. I dont do much in hand work which might suit the 130mm like others have said.

Surprisingly, I find myself reaching for the 130mm more often than the 150mm. When I need additional length, I typically use the 210mm.

The few times I’ve tried to use my 130 for in hand work, I’ve managed to cut myself. So, I stick with my Wusthof 3” or 4” for in hand. The 130 feels pretty short for a lot of tasks and I could see myself buying a 180 gyuto or a tall 150 for smaller tasks around the house.

I tend to prefer a 90 to 105mm parer for most hand work. A 150 will cover the tasks a small parer is too short for while still having enough length to act as small board knife (given adequate heel height or working at the edge of the board). I think there is a reasonable argument to make for a 165 or 180 in that same role but a 150 works well for me. The 120 to 135 range pettys usually feel either too short or too long in my hands.

Back