150mm Petty recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alwayzbakin

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m looking for help choosing a 135-150mm petty. I’ve never had one, at the moment I have a 240 and 210 gyuto, a really old shun that’s more of a 180 petty at this point, and a Takeda 170 bunka. I want something smaller and precise. Not sure what I’ll be using it for most: possibly something to have out for service but in many situations it could be a bit small. Maybe small fruit/veg prep or light butchery like removing silver skin. At the moment I don’t use knives much at work but I’m versatile and that could change. But in general it’s a gap I wanna fill and I’m always looking for the right excuse to cave in and buy a knife or four. My knife skills and sharpening skills are decent to good.
I’m most tempted by the 150 W#1FMs on Ai and Om that are on sale. I’ve wanted to try W1 for a while and am especially interested in Tanaka’s. I think a petty is a good knife to try this in as it would get less board contact than a gyuto and mostly near the tip, so edge retention would be less important than a gyuto. I’m a sucker for good looks and i think if they still had the ebony with blonde horn I would have caved long ago but the black horn still looks nice. I could even settle for Laurel and consider an upgrade dow the line.
I’m also quite tempted by the Ginga white 2s, but they’re out of stock on the two sites that carry them, and the price difference is similar to that of a handle upgrade with maybe better steel going to the FMs. But originally I thought I wanted a laser petty and this might fit the bill better.
I was also considering the Izakuchi from JKI. Also a laser, I like the edge retention and low maintenance of the stainless cladding on my Takeda and would be keen for similar attributes. But it seems like a bit curvier profile and isn’t the flashiest. But it’s the cheapest and a petty is probably the quickest to disappear or break.
Then the HDs Tempt me when they’re available as well. Flashy handles, low maintenance and I really like the way the steel sharpens on my 240. But then again it might be more interesting to experience a steel or knife line I haven’t tried before.
I could be way wrong but It looks like the HD and Ashis are thin convex, while the FM is a bit stiffer and closer to concave and the izakuchi looks to be almost a bit concave as well? Perhaps you could tell me your thoughts and experiences with different petty grinds and styles? Also, what traits do you value most in your petties specifically; as well as what traits you look for in building a slowly growing collection. That could help me make up my mind... on petties... well small petties... but then I also want another line knife and I wanna try a nakiri and I wanna get a Suji and I wanna get.....

I have a Mazaki petty that I love, and frequently used as a line knife when I had limited counter space. Best suited tasks I found for the knife are orange supremes, trimming silver skin, and finely cutting herbs or shallots. Maybe someone will correct me on this, but I wouldn't be too concerned about "laser" or "workhorse" with petties, in my experience they've all been suitably thin. A stamped knife might get you a little more performance through soft product, a forged tapered knife a little more stiffness through hard product. Peeling celeriac was maybe the only task where my Mazaki's stiffness was advantageous. At the end of day its a preference.

Hope this helps! Don't overthink your choice, all the options you listed sounded like fine knives!

I have a Mazaki petty that I love, and frequently used as a line knife when I had limited counter space. Best suited tasks I found for the knife are orange supremes, trimming silver skin, and finely cutting herbs or shallots. Maybe someone will correct me on this, but I wouldn't be too concerned about "laser" or "workhorse" with petties, in my experience they've all been suitably thin. A stamped knife might get you a little more performance through soft product, a forged tapered knife a little more stiffness through hard product. Peeling celeriac was maybe the only task where my Mazaki's stiffness was advantageous. At the end of day its a preference.

Hope this helps! Don't overthink your choice, all the options you listed sounded like fine knives!
That’s actually helpful food for thought, as I have in the past had to julienne apples a la minute and I probably would prefer the (it’s true only slightly) stiffer spine in such situations

Curveball for you. I've got more pettys than any other knife, and this petty has been blowing me away:

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...ducts/hitohira-gr-damascus-blue-2-petty-135mm

I don't normally do Damascus, but they handed me this knife at Carbon and I said "sold." It's feather-light and stunningly thin but still stiff. And amazingly quick to sharpen, probably because it's so thin. Nice handle too.

It is basic and rustic as anything, but a TF Nashiji petty? White 1, and cheap, but I find the steel quite nice. I ordered direct and got one with a 36mm heel height so I could use it on the board,
I was considering one for a bit actually, but think I prefer something a bit shorter. But then it always snowballs: well for a bit more I could get a Mab, and then for a bit more I could get a Denka. I think if (and hopefully when) I try a TF I’ll probably get a small gyuto or nakiri. Something where I’ll enjoy their ample height and reputed edge retention more.

I was considering one for a bit actually, but think I prefer something a bit shorter. But then it always snowballs: well for a bit more I could get a Mab, and then for a bit more I could get a Denka. I think if (and hopefully when) I try a TF I’ll probably get a small gyuto or nakiri. Something where I’ll enjoy their ample height and reputed edge retention more.

I have the same problem...why not just get the Mab and next thing I’m staring at the Denka. I’m holding out for the Denka Nakiri or Gyuto as well.

It is basic and rustic as anything, but a TF Nashiji petty? White 1, and cheap, but I find the steel quite nice. I ordered direct and got one with a 36mm heel height so I could use it on the board,
I have the JCK house-branded version of this knife. It's a small gyuto rather than a petty (i.e., it's taller at the heel and fairly thick at the spine). Super fun knife that will become my daughter's first chef's knife when she's ready (she's 4 now).

For a petty, I prefer thinner (at the spine and behind the edge) and shorter (at the heel). I have a stainless Ginga 180 that's very useful. That's the direction I'd go: light, nimble, thin, and short. Reach for a gyuto when you need a more substantial knife.

I just ordered a ginsan Tanaka 150mm (upgrading from a Shun). Tanakas seem to be good value and have good reviews. Ofcourse there’s also Takamura r2 which is a popular laser. Ultimately I wanted the wa handle and stainless so decided on the ginsan Tanaka. Can’t wait to have it in hand.

I’ve got a Mazaki 150, Tsukasa Hinoura 150 and a kohetsu 150 AS, as well as a number of other smaller petties including one JCK house brand.

I love them all, with the Mazaki and Hinoura having a thicker, beefier feel. I tend to gravitate toward these.

Both the JCK and Kohetsu AS are thinner and more economical. I prefer the kohetsu as it has a wa handle and they do a nice job on the AS, but if you prefer western the JCK is really nice also.

I am currently looking for another 150 (yeah, like I really need one) and was considering the younger Hinoura from Hitohira and Tanaka

you won’t go wrong if you get the FM

Back