150mm Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rowland

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Got this guy finished up this weekend

Blade: 150mm in W2 clayed with Rutland's and quenched in Parks 50, tempered back to 63rc
Handle: Maple burl, g10, carbon fiber
A little heel relief and a full convex grind.
Sorry still working on getting better choil pictures.

Thanks for looking.
150 petty 1.jpg
150 petty 2.jpg
150 petty 3.jpg
150 petty 4.jpg
150 petty 5.jpg
150 petty 6.jpg

By the way, I was looking at your handle work on (**Random internet place that may have some of your work). Some really cool burl/resin hybrid stuff there! Do you do your own resin casting as well?

I do not do my own casting.
I buy the blanks from a few different suppliers.
I do stabilize some species, and send out others.
It actually is not really my taste but people do like them and ask for them often.
My personal preference is just a beautiful natural wood body, simple single spacer (if any at all) and a complimenting ferrule wood, personal favorite is African blackwood.

This knife looks amazing! I love the simple spacers like you were saying above ^. It looks really classy. Love it!

The resin stuff is not necessarily my personal preference either, as you could see from my own handle work. But I can appreciate it when the resin coloring compliments the chosen woods, and when it is well executed, which yours definitely were!

Nice work Tim, is that a clay hamone or something else? I’ve never tried any blade treatments of any kind yet. I like how dark the blade is as well. And that’s a really nice looking handle.

Nice work Tim, is that a clay hamone or something else? I’ve never tried any blade treatments of any kind yet. I like how dark the blade is as well. And that’s a really nice looking handle.

Thank you.
Yes I used Rutland's furnace cement, thinned for the 1st coating, slightly thicker for the second coat.
Austentized at 1550F, quenched in Parks 50 fast quenching oil so it is (Aburu Honyaki)
I hand sanded to 600 before a ferric chloride dip/progression
Here is what it looked like as I was hand sanding, I think this was at 320g.
Sharpie is where I still had small scratches from previous grit.

handsanding hamon.jpg

Latest posts

Back