165 honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

Reaction score
Anyone have any input on a honesuki 165mm. Would I be better off with a 150mm? Just for mainly chickens and a few turkeys.
Thanks
D.

have you considered a Garasuki? It's bigger and thicker.
I am only the home cutter and only average out perhaps 2 a week if that. Seemed a bit overkill for me and was under the impression that a Honesuki would be more nimble and maneuverable with a bit of a narrower tip for getting between things. What advantages would a Garasuki have over a Honesuki in my case?
D.

I am only the home cutter and only average out perhaps 2 a week if that. Seemed a bit overkill for me and was under the impression that a Honesuki would be more nimble and maneuverable with a bit of a narrower tip for getting between things. What advantages would a Garasuki have over a Honesuki in my case?
D.
Bigger, and you could hack through the leg bone if you want with the spine. It will be better for turkey as Well since turkey have more complex muscles

Home cook, and Honesuki is maybe my favourite knife after gyuto.
We break down a fair bit of chicken. I have both lengths and personally am fairly indifferent to whichever one I use.
They are both short knives and length doesn’t feel like it makes a big difference to me.
Maybe go 165 if you’ll use it on large poultry.

Whatever size you go with, I'd recommend going with a carbon steel. It's never going to see any acid, and it's nice to have something easier to sharpen.

Bigger, and you could hack through the leg bone if you want with the spine. It will be better for turkey as Well since turkey have more complex muscles
You are refering to one around 185mm correct? Any suggestions of anything under 300? Like a good tight fitting handle everything else I can finish..wa or western doesnt matter.
I was looking at misono when I started this thread.

Whatever size you go with, I'd recommend going with a carbon steel. It's never going to see any acid, and it's nice to have something easier to sharpen.
Yes looking at carbon thanks.

Home cook, and Honesuki is maybe my favourite knife after gyuto.
We break down a fair bit of chicken. I have both lengths and personally am fairly indifferent to whichever one I use.
They are both short knives and length doesn’t feel like it makes a big difference to me.
Maybe go 165 if you’ll use it on large poultry.
Thank you. Yes 15mm isn't much even 30 (a 180) wouldn't matter much to me I suppose

Last edited:
You are refering to one around 185mm correct? Any suggestions of anything under 300? Like a good tight fitting handle everything else I can finish..wa or western doesnt matter.
I was looking at misono when I started this thread.

Yes looking at carbon thanks.

Thank you. Yes 15mm isn't much even 30 (a 180) wouldn't matter much to me I suppose

Have you checked the Bessaku? it is around 100 bucks, it is a nice Semi Stainless Steel, if you want carbon, go with the Sakai Takayuki/Kikumori one. it is SK Steel though.

This is the Bessaku:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASAHIRO-B...1915?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
You could find some Ashi Garasuki sometimes if you are willing to spend a lot of money.

Bessaku is the way. A little rough around the edges. But the steel kicks a$$.

Was there a particular brand OP was looking for?
i agree carbon steel due to exclusive protein usage. Nice patina too

I would say that if you’re keen get a nicer example. Cos you can’t really go wrong

Not carbon but maybe worth a look if still available: WTS - 185mm heiji garasuki..
I saw that when he posted it. Someone asked if it was for sale. Hopefully it has sold. The profile of that just has never set well with me unfortunately. Great price on it.
Thank you.

Have you checked the Bessaku? it is around 100 bucks, it is a nice Semi Stainless Steel, if you want carbon, go with the Sakai Takayuki/Kikumori one. it is SK Steel though.

This is the Bessaku:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASAHIRO-B...1915?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0
You could find some Ashi Garasuki sometimes if you are willing to spend a lot of money.
Thank you zizirex. Appreciate your help. Will take a look at the kikumori.

Bessaku is the way. A little rough around the edges. But the steel kicks a$$.
Rough around the edges is fine on the blade, but I don't really care for the handle on these and the next step up sold by carbon and bernal. Specifically on the Bessaku I have seen brand new the wood lifted from the tang. To me that is fortelling of the future life. Just Staying clear of these.

Someone brought the stainless version of this knife back from Japan for me, it’s really a great piece. Note that my point of comparison is almost nothing, I picked up a bessaku in a store once. Great knife for a home kitchen, feels really refined

https://mtckitchen.com/tsukiji-masamoto-carbon-steel-honesuki-boning-150mm-5-9/
Thank You rick. Was looking at these also, Nice to know you like yours.

Was there a particular brand OP was looking for?
i agree carbon steel due to exclusive protein usage. Nice patina too
I would say that if you’re keen get a nicer example. Cos you can’t really go wrong
Thanks again Tristan. Started with an Ashi but decided to try another perhaps beefier and less expensive. Now looking at Misono and Masamoto, Solid handles and tight fitting.

Appreciate the help and suggestions everyone.
Think I am set.
Thanks
D,

Always felt that a large chef's knife was too wide to use to cut up a chicken. There seems to be a rotation motion involved. I used the 6" Henckels boning knife for years. It is SST and a bit of an exercise to sharpen because of it's "S" shaped blade. Shun offers a 6" boning knife, but again, it's SST. Sounds like you're homing in on some great choices. Shorter and less wide at the tip seems to be required.

Yes, I agree and use same type of knife or steak knife. The chef knife works well for straight downward cuts to part legs and wings and I like the additional height over the boning knife, though I have used just a boning/steak knife for everything.
Knife should be arriving within the next few days.
Thank you
D.

I've got a Fujiwara 150mm and I just picked up a 165 Misono from MTC. The Fujiwara I've had for several years and I initially just wanted to try out the shape to see if I liked it plus it was cheap.

Personally, I love the shape for chicken, it's pretty much perfect for the job it's designed to do. The Fujiwara while nice, it does have a difficult time staying sharp (blame the operator not the tool). Prior to buying the new Misono I checked out a 180mm perhaps "too beaucoup"

I do enjoy the added size of the Misono, while not a game changer it's certainly not a hindrance. Keep in mind, I'm a home gamer not a professional chef.

Having said all that, I'm desperately looking for a cool wa handled honesuki/garasuki with a wide bevel (Yoshikane, Yoshihiro, old Fujiyama) and unfortunately I can't find any.

Btw, I’ve been using a Heiji 150 honesuki for a bit. Thought I might not like the profile (I was looking for a more triangular one), but it’s great! And the steel is killer. I love that’s it’s a true single bevel.
image.jpg

I've got a Fujiwara 150mm and I just picked up a 165 Misono from MTC. The Fujiwara I've had for several years and I initially just wanted to try out the shape to see if I liked it plus it was cheap.

Personally, I love the shape for chicken, it's pretty much perfect for the job it's designed to do. The Fujiwara while nice, it does have a difficult time staying sharp (blame the operator not the tool). Prior to buying the new Misono I checked out a 180mm perhaps "too beaucoup"

I do enjoy the added size of the Misono, while not a game changer it's certainly not a hindrance. Keep in mind, I'm a home gamer not a professional chef.

Having said all that, I'm desperately looking for a cool wa handled honesuki/garasuki with a wide bevel (Yoshikane, Yoshihiro, old Fujiyama) and unfortunately I can't find any.
https://www.aframestokyo.com/tesshu-wa-garasuki-180mm-white-ii-steel-blade-kn180.html

Back