180 - 200mm gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this a size you guys own, and if you do, do you reach for it? I don’t own anything in this range, and I was wondering if someone has one they love and get a lot of use out of. Thanks!

That’s interesting that you can comfortably bounce back and forth between drastically different sizes haha. I’m just a home cook, I usually use a 230 gyuto or a 180ish cleaver.

Aside from missing a 180-200 gyuto, I’m also missing a 270 lol. But idk how much use that would get in my kitchen.

What’s your go-to 180?

This probably won't help given the availability of the maker but I love my 170mm Bloodroot gyuto. I also have a 165mm Kintaro santoku from JKI (renamed Yoshimi Echizen apparently) that I like a lot as well.

I still reach for 210-240mm blades most often, but I like having the smaller choice if the task fits it better.

Haha sounds like you’re a lucky man! I would do terrible things for a bloodroot. I was considering grabbing a 180 in 52100 off shi-han’s website, or maybe trying to get a custom from someone.

I really like a 180 gyuto. I find them nimble and versatile. I can use them for petty-like tasks as well as full prep. I find the length is typically adequate for my ingredients and volumes.

Tadafusa:
V4YTqme.jpg

Hinokuni:
wVXmN3b.jpg

Akifusa:
DgIWoJE.jpg

I like 165's too but find 180 gives just that little bit more that it's noticeable. I like my 180's to be thin and slicey so for me a 210 is more of a heavy-tasker and I'm starting to wonder if, at least for me, it should be a 180 and 240 vs the more commonly advised 210 and 240.

Very nice! I like the look of the Akifusa.

Honestly, as I’ve gotten used to a 230, I don’t see myself buying many 210s (especially as I just got one lolz). But the size difference between 240 snd 180 seems significant enough that you’d have a lot variety.

I got my first 180 a few weeks ago - a Myojin R2. I’m really enjoying using a 180 a lot more than I expected. At home I’m only cooking for two so there’s not a ton of prep involved and I’m cutting smaller stuff like onions, garlic, tomatoes. The shorter length is more nimble plus when I need to use the tip for fine work like an extra-fine dice of shallots, it’s super-handy having the tip be that much closer to the hand. I don’t think I could go any shorter at all though - even a 170 would probably be too short for me.

Currently considering a 180 bunka for my next purchase as I realized having some extra height for the guiding knuckle would be really nice.

All of that said, if I’m cutting bigger stuff like squash or a brisket, then I reach for the 210 or 240.

Nice! That makes a lot of sense. I’m glad you’re enjoying your new knife. I actually have a bunka on the way, I’m not sure how long it is though lol. So hopefully thread doesn’t become a moot point 😂🙈

Very nice! I like the look of the Akifusa.

Honestly, as I’ve gotten used to a 230, I don’t see myself buying many 210s (especially as I just got one lolz). But the size difference between 240 snd 180 seems significant enough that you’d have a lot variety.

That Akifusa is my latest addition and I love it. It's equally natural with my finger down the spine for fine tasks as it is in a full pinch grip plowing through veg. I got the AS version because I wanted AS but they also make an SRS15 verion.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopdispla...xact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=

Nice! That makes a lot of sense. I’m glad you’re enjoying your new knife. I actually have a bunka on the way, I’m not sure how long it is though lol. So hopefully thread doesn’t become a moot point 😂🙈

Ha! I like bunkas. In fct, my next knife is quite likely to be a 180mm bunka. I've already been prowling the sites. 😁

I use 150mm - 180mm when I'm cooking only for me
I also own 240 and 270 gyutos, but i stopped caring much about using them unless I have tons of work

Last edited:
I reach for my 180mm probably the most out of all my knives. I like it's nimbleness for dicing larger chunks, especially potatoes. See HumbleHomeCook's first pic for the type of cuts this size works best for:

I wouldn't use it for making a fine dice though, for that I prefer a 205mm cleaver to prevent the pieces from riding up over the blade face. In comparison to that cleaver 210 or even 240 gyutos feel lacking, so I have a 255 for larger stuff like melons, bread, and cabbage. But the 180 still gets the most use, at least partly because I have a tiny kitchen.

I reach for my 180mm probably the most out of all my knives. I like it's nimbleness for dicing larger chunks, especially potatoes. See HumbleHomeCook's first pic for the type of cuts this size works best for:

I wouldn't use it for making a fine dice though, for that I prefer a 205mm cleaver to prevent the pieces from riding up over the blade face. In comparison to that cleaver 210 or even 240 gyutos feel lacking, so I have a 255 for larger stuff like melons, bread, and cabbage. But the 180 still gets the most use, at least partly because I have a tiny kitchen.

What’s your go to cleaver?

I posted in a different thread, but 180mm is my second most used size after 240mm (I think I currently have 4 or 5 in 180mm). I havent used 210s often recently. Here's a few that I really enjoy: TF, Myojin, Munetoshi
180s.jpg

What’s your go to cleaver?
CCK stainless 1912, I like how thin and light it is at around 280g. I think the shorter height (92mm) also helps keep the balance reasonable for people who are used to gyutos. It's not the type of cleaver that 'does all the work for you' with a lot of weight behind it, but that's a plus for lazy people like me who don't want to change their technique. I think of it more like a really tall gyuto.

Haha sounds like you’re a lucky man! I would do terrible things for a bloodroot. I was considering grabbing a 180 in 52100 off shi-han’s website, or maybe trying to get a custom from someone.
Get on their monthly email list, I did not go this route and had a 4.5 yr wait for a 250mm and a 170mm gyuto. Not sure what the current wait list is. Great knives but on the pricier side. I still bid on the occasional knife as I like their product, but not the much more acceptable $200-400

That’s interesting that you can comfortably bounce back and forth between drastically different sizes haha. I’m just a home cook, I usually use a 230 gyuto or a 180ish cleaver.

Aside from missing a 180-200 gyuto, I’m also missing a 270 lol. But idk how much use that would get in my kitchen.

What’s your go-to 180?
I used to use a 180 Watanabe Pro. I ended up gifting it to a friend and still sorta regret letting it go. Right now the 2 on my block are a TF Denka and a Dalman.

Just got a 180 Bunka which I really like. I tend to gravitate to 180 to 210. I have some 240’s but only use them for slicing roasts and larger jobs like squash, watermelon etc. The Bunka is a Y Tanaka B1. I really like his steel.

I have a Robert Herder K5, which is roughly a 180mm santoku/gyuto in between. Great knife and grind for the length, but personally I find the length a bit restrictive for all around use. It's not a problem if all you're cutting is a few shallots and some garlic, but once you get into larger produce (even just larger potatos) it can get a bit annyoing IMO.

But this is very much personal preference territory. Some people dislike them, otherws will hate them. Only way to figure out your own length preferences are to try a decent one for a while and see if it clicks.

The two I have right now are a Munetoshi ~170x40 and a Tamakura 180. The Munetoshi is a really nice fun size, feels very tough, and after a little thinning is a pretty solid cutter, however the iron cladding is awfully reactive so I reach for it less on that account. I should probably clean it up a little more and force a patina to see if that calms it down. The Takamura is a really handy size but I'd prefer more distal taper for stuff like shallots and garlic. (Also I think Kipp has ruined me on mass-market lasers.)

I have a Prendergast 185 in the mail that I have high hopes for... will update when that shows up!

Get on their monthly email list, I did not go this route and had a 4.5 yr wait for a 250mm and a 170mm gyuto. Not sure what the current wait list is. Great knives but on the pricier side. I still bid on the occasional knife as I like their product, but not the much more acceptable $200-400

I just checked and it’s about 4.5 years lol. I’ll get on their list and maybe get lucky in the lotto!

The two I have right now are a Munetoshi ~170x40 and a Tamakura 180. The Munetoshi is a really nice fun size, feels very tough, and after a little thinning is a pretty solid cutter, however the iron cladding is awfully reactive so I reach for it less on that account. I should probably clean it up a little more and force a patina to see if that calms it down. The Takamura is a really handy size but I'd prefer more distal taper for stuff like shallots and garlic. (Also I think Kipp has ruined me on mass-market lasers.)

I have a Prendergast 185 in the mail that I have high hopes for... will update when that shows up!

Awesome! I have a prendergast 220 in the mail! US customs has had it for 2 weeks 😭

I'm a big fan of short, 165-180mm knives in a home kitchen, for 'weekday' sort of meal prep, or if you're cooking for just 1-2. As @HumbleHomeCook, and @spaceconvoy said, they're really nimble (Almost petty-like.), but still just big enough for getting through a whole meal cutting basically everything... I use both my 165mm Zakuri Tosagata Bocho, and 180mm Hiromoto Ginsan Gyuto all the time, even though they just started out as projects.

I find it a little easier to conform to profiles on 180mm Gyuto's, than on 240's, as well... If a 240 has too much belly it's kind of unusable for me, but a 180 I can sort of work around... Yeah...180's are surprisingly nice. 210's are actually kind of a dead-zone for me. 240's are great when you really need to plow through some heavy prep, and 180's are appreciably more nimble, but 210's are kind of a 'tweener' length for me.

For stock days, big meals, cooking for a crowd, etc, I still like bigger knives. However, 6-7" blades are just really 'handy' feeling for smaller meals.

I'm a big fan of short, 165-180mm knives in a home kitchen, for 'weekday' sort of meal prep, or if you're cooking for just 1-2. As @HumbleHomeCook, and @spaceconvoy said, they're really nimble (Almost petty-like.), but still just big enough for getting through a whole meal cutting basically everything... I use both my 165mm Zakuri Tosagata Bocho, and 180mm Hiromoto Ginsan Gyuto all the time, even though they just started out as projects.

I find it a little easier to conform to profiles on 180mm Gyuto's, than on 240's, as well... If a 240 has too much belly it's kind of unusable for me, but a 180 I can sort of work around... Yeah...180's are surprisingly nice. 210's are actually kind of a dead-zone for me. 240's are great when you really need to plow through some heavy prep, and 180's are appreciably more nimble, but 210's are kind of a 'tweener' length for me.

For stock days, big meals, cooking for a crowd, etc, I still like bigger knives. However, 6-7" blades are just really 'handy' feeling for smaller meals.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if 165-180's for my daily drivers and something like a 270 suji wouldn't suit me best.

With the 210/240 being more of a purpose-knife like a honesuki or a short petty. Knives that fill their role very well but that I don't use much.

I've got a Kohetsu (Tadafusa) SLD 180 gyuto that I really like. Have had it for a little over a year. If it's just a little bit of cutting, I'm probably picking it over other options.

180 - 200 is a good length for home. 180 Mazaki is the most used at home by my family and myself.

I have a Sakai Takayuki 180 gyuto…and find I barely touch it. If I want something shorter I find myself reaching for my Bunka.

I use an Ashi 210 Petty for a lot of small prep or when I'm cooking for one or two and a Yoshi SKD 180 that gets a lot of the same use. If I'm cooking for a bunch of people, I gravitate to 270's.

I like 180's for home cooking, I have them in gyuto, santoku and bunka profiles. A 180 is long enough to have a longer flat spot too for push cutting (some 165's with bellies I find hard to use).

I recently picked up a CCK 1912 and like it quite a bit for volume chopping/dicing, so now I tend to prefer a 200mm gyuto with a low heel height if I want something nimble and pointy, the cleaver otherwise.

Back