180 mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Still have not settled on a new small gyuto.

Ive looked at several and actually did purchase the Tojiro 180mm, loved the profile and shape the handle quality was awful. The issue is that i have the Konosuke HD 270 yo handle and that thing is beautiful, everything about it is great. I have to live upto that standard, if they made a 180mm i wold be sorted but they dont

What i need is the 180mm version of that knife, steel can change but it needs to be 50-50 bevel, thin, yo handled and finished very well in all areas. Budget is reasonably good at upto $200 + shipping etc so i think its realistic to get what i want its just that i cant find it.

Any suggestions ?

The previous ones i was thinking about are going to fall down on the fit & finish, the best option i can find is the Tadnatsuna in INOX or white. If i went that way which would be better ?

Alan

Personally man, I'd just keep using the 270mm western Konosuke, unless you're cooking in a tiny little closet or something.

What steered you away from the Hattori HD you were looking at in the other, other, other thread? They have a 180mm gyuto, it's western handled, thin, and very well finished for $150.

Stainless (19C27) = Minamoto-Kotetsu (Kumadori) 185mm Kengata

Carbon/cladded = Tanaka Blue#2 Wa

Ginsan/cladded = Tanaka Nashiji Wa

A rosewood handle upgrade is available, if I'm not mistaken.

Hi

Thanks for the info, i know im overthinking this and being a a pain in the ass !!! i know you could use the 270 for everything but for simple jobs like say slicing a tomato for a sandwich it is nice to have a smaller blade. At the end of the day this is a luxury purchase for me, i have just got the knife bug and want something really good.

The Hiromoto has a right handed bevel and i have a left handed girl friend so I just dont want to get into that whole issue, I had a Kikuichi 6 inch gyuto that was fantastic but i had to sell it to keep the peace so im not going there again.

The Hattori HD looks good except that the handle looks very thin and the blade is 3mm which seems a little thick for a 180 mm

I received pricing back for the Tad and its $200 in white steel, i understand these to be a very high quality knife. Are there any red flags for this moeeting all my requirements.

Alan

Maybe you've already thought about it, but why not just get the Tojiro rehandled, and make it a great knife?

185mm minamoto-kotetsu japanblades.com get yourself one

I have news for you, all Japanese knives are ground right handed (stock removal) with a few exceptions.

Its strange

I make decisions on millions of dollars at work without missing a beat, buying a $200 knife for home im so indecisive its crazy.

Its strange

I make decisions on millions of dollars at work without missing a beat, buying a $200 knife for home im so indecisive its crazy.

Yes, well, it not being your money and all might make you a tad bit more flippant.

Hi

Still have not settled on a new small gyuto.

Ive looked at several and actually did purchase the Tojiro 180mm, loved the profile and shape the handle quality was awful. The issue is that i have the Konosuke HD 270 yo handle and that thing is beautiful, everything about it is great. I have to live upto that standard, if they made a 180mm i wold be sorted but they dont

What i need is the 180mm version of that knife, steel can change but it needs to be 50-50 bevel, thin, yo handled and finished very well in all areas. Budget is reasonably good at upto $200 + shipping etc so i think its realistic to get what i want its just that i cant find it.

Any suggestions ?

The previous ones i was thinking about are going to fall down on the fit & finish, the best option i can find is the Tadnatsuna in INOX or white. If i went that way which would be better ?

Alan

I'm quite sure that Jon at Japanese Knife Imports can order any Konosuke you want, even if it's something custom. Isn't that so?

OP, if you are looking for a Tadatsuna-like Western-handled Yo-gyuto in White#2 steel then look no further than the Sakai Yusuke. It's exactly the same design as the Western Tadatsuna but less expensive.

I've linked you to the 210mm version as the 180mm isn't currently listed at the moment but all you have to do is message the seller (who has a great rep here).

BTW, I would recommend the carbon version - I have the 240 Wa - and the performance is just exceptional. I've also owned the Western but in Swedish stainless.

And, yes, the bevel is 50/50.

You pay 30-50% more to have them made. American custom makers do 50/50 stock removal, like the DT ITK gyuto. Del made a lefty gyuto which I own.

A perusal of the JCK site reveals many 50/50 grinds. The grind of each knife on the site is specified.

Not the case....I have spoken to Koki about this. The initial stock removal is on the right side.

I can't think of a Japanese knife that has 50-50 geometry outside of clad knives. Some of these are more or less 50:50 ground. Most of the time when retailers specify even grinds, they are only referring to the tiny bevel right at the edge which doesn't really affect anything much.

Back