180mm Feather Gyuto (work in progress)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John N

Reaction score
I forged this blade a year or so back as a 210, and snapped the end off it trying to straighten it (got a bit used to compliant san mai!) - chucked it in the 'meeeh' pile until a couple of days ago, when I could look it in the eye again!

Got it re-profiled and am feeling quite positive about it now :) Its flat, true, and thin now - should make a nice knife. Its hand sanded to 80 grit in these pics, with a quick 'vanity' etch to see where we are. It should pop when finished properly.

Thoughts and comments appreciated !

vnhoc4w.jpg

ZkR45yD.jpg

8S6ln7T.jpg

IMWUMOx.jpg

lCv0VGn.jpg

A lot to like there!!
Nice profile, nice asymmetry, nice 'flow' to the damascus...

Thanks for the positive comments ! @Bert2368 - Its a worker Bee (or as close as I could get made into a stamp!) - The bee is the symbol of my home city, Manchester.

Pinched an afternoon this weekend and got her finished up. Pretty pleased with how its come out. Might need to forge more feathers ! Handle is a very dense (possibly Australian) hardwood I cant remember the name of, with a 925 silver spacer.

kIG2fc0.jpg

jbHSBhW.jpg

kFnJD7q.jpg

tM6LevO.jpg

I think it is Ringed Gidgee. A chef sent it to me as a possible user on a commission a year or so back as an option, and we did not use it.

Ive found a happy middle ground 'time / quality' for etching my PW stuff. I dont take it to a high grit before etching (400 max, this gives the acid something to bite at!) - etch a few times for 15 mins or so in fairly weak ferric, scrubbing with dishsoap between each etch cycle, Then I hit it with 1200 wet and dry, on a hard backing to put a shine on the high layers. Then a polish with Flitz to remove all the oxides from the blade. Works for me anyway!

Back