• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought 180mm Guyto Wa handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharp in Canada is currently selling a S Tanaka R2 180 mm gyuto for CAD274 and it would be a great choice for a 180 mm.

Apologies, I missed that is it's midnight over here. GLWB.

Sorry a bit off right now we just learned my gf might have Covid. She’s in the Health care system so she’s been on the front all along. I have a sore throat and will have to get tested too. She’s a bit worst than I am, a lot of congestion.

The Tanaka is wa but I don’t like the profile one bit. The one I had in mind was the Kato R2 - much flatter and straight.

Also not a fan of S. Tanaka f&f. I know he’s a better maker than Kato so if profile was to my liking I’d have already bought it.

Hoping for the best for you and your girlfriend. "On the front" means she might be a healthcare worker; if so, we salute all of them. Spending a little more time at home in the kitchen (or sharpening) is a small joy in these strange times.

If it makes a difference, I thought the shorter Tanakas were less curved than the longer ones, and the F&F on the R2s should be better?

That they are - but still mostly curvy. I don’t like also the elevated profile - sorry for lack of a better terminology.

The Kato is a bit of a Santoku on the narrow with a Guyto tip - very flat profile, somewhat low nose. It’s like a bit of the end to the mean: since I like Santokus so much I want to try something of that length and profile - but in a Gyuto.

She works in a pharmacy. If you ask me they have a great deal of a sh!tstorm since 4 months - with Covid sick morons trying to get in each day, sometimes actually getting in and going to the counter and say I’ve been diagnosed with Covid I need my prescriptions. Insults if not threats. One actual assault. That’s not counting healthy people without a clue that also insult them because they have to wait in line or because there’s no rubbing alcohol left... anyways...

Latest posts

Back