180mm gyuto recommendation as gift for mom

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk.S

Reaction score
My mom commented on how much she likes my knives and we got to talking about Christmas presents... She's got functional knives, but is hoping for something beautiful and comfortable.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
180mm gyuto (or maybe santoku)

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese preferred but not mandatory

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180ish

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Vegetables, boneless meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Mostly hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, some rock chopping on smaller things

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Edge retention, better looks

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
She likes the look of cladding of all types

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Medium-thickness with rounded spine

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Less wedging and better food release would be nice, but not top priority

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Good retention is important, since I'll be the one (occasionally) sharpening it

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
I'll be sharpening it for her.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
n/a

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
n/a

TLDR: want a medium-thickness stainless knife with any sort of cladding, and good edge retention (willing to sacrifice some sharpness for lack of microchipping).
I've struggled to find 180mm stainless gyutos that aren't monosteel, so I started looking at santokus. My top choice at the moment is the Tanaka 180mm ginsan santoku but hoping y'all can point out some gyuto options.

Takamura 180mm Gyuto in R2 could be a good option. The heat treat is done pretty well so that it'll resist chipping and edge retention is also pretty good due to high HRC. This could be on the slightly thinner side of knives but not too much thinner than the Tanaka.

Takamura 180mm Gyuto in R2 could be a good option. The heat treat is done pretty well so that it'll resist chipping and edge retention is also pretty good due to high HRC. This could be on the slightly thinner side of knives but not too much thinner than the Tanaka.
I've been considering that one too, though I'm wary of getting her a laser since she does some rock chopping and lateral motion, even if it is pretty gentle.

I've gifted this Suisin Western Inox to my sister and a couple (former) gf. It comes in cheap at about $100, is softer than most other Japanese knives so can take some abuse and when you visit it will sharpen readily. Doesn't hurt that it looks good. It would likely be the best knife mom ever owned. https://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-180

Near the upper end of your price spectrum the Gesshin Ginga is my favorite 180. Not so fault tolerant but cuts like a dream. Has just enough belly to rock a little, one has a permanent spot in my catering kit. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

I've gifted this Suisin Western Inox to my sister and a couple (former) gf. It comes in cheap at about $100, is softer than most other Japanese knives so can take some abuse and when you visit it will sharpen readily. Doesn't hurt that it looks good. It would likely be the best knife mom ever owned. https://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-180

Near the upper end of your price spectrum the Gesshin Ginga is my favorite 180. Not so fault tolerant but cuts like a dream. Has just enough belly to rock a little, one has a permanent spot in my catering kit. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-wa-gyuto
I've seen both of those knives praised a fair amount on these forums, but the "clad" look is the thing that she is most excited about, so monosteels are out

Back