• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 180mm western handled Tanaka gyuto (no bolster) or similar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
Before I buy new, I wonder if anyone has a shorter Tanaka yo-handled gyuto they aren’t in love with?

I am primarily familiar with the VG-10 knife pictured below but would also be open to ginsan, R2 or stainless clad carbon. Similar knives such as TF nashiji would be considered too.

For some reason I find myself getting all hot and bothered over cheap looking bolster-less western handles.

87AE4075-0DA0-4761-9EA4-383B408627F5.jpeg

Thanks!

Aren't 180 and 210 mm Tanaka gyutos cheaper and easier to find, even new?

Not sure what you mean? The pictured one is not terribly expensive but I assume there have been a few different variants and I thought I’d see what might be out there.

I’ve seen a ginsan Tanaka with a wa handle, for example, and would be interested in a yo handled version.

No, not as far as I am concerned. MetalMasterJP who was an eBay merchant used to sell almost every Tanaka knife and for much less than they are now. Granted some newer Tanaka knives are were not made back then. (stainless clad versions)

Not sure what you mean? The pictured one is not terribly expensive but I assume there have been a few different variants and I thought I’d see what might be out there.

I’ve seen a ginsan Tanaka with a wa handle, for example, and would be interested in a yo handled version.

At one point there was a 190mm Ginsan gyuto with the same western handle as the VG10 you have pictured. Tanaka didn't do many western handles, except for his R2 line of knives with Ironwood handles.

Back