"1Stone" Brand Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So apparently 1Stone has their own natural stone lines... I can't seem to find reviews anywhere but it looks pretty intriguing for the price.

https://www.1stone.fr/produit/black-shadow-12000-15000/
Anyone have any experience and can share an opinion?
They are a legit vendor. French natural stones. Pierre la lune and some others. I haven't tried them but they get good reviews on the razor websites. I think most of them are very fine grit slates. If you are into a very fine edges then they might be worth a try because their offerings are considerably cheaper than other readily available high grit natural options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...ndroid-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

They are a legit vendor. French natural stones. Pierre la lune and some others. I haven't tried them but they get good reviews on the razor websites. I think most of them are very fine grit slates. If you are into a very fine edges then they might be worth a try because their offerings are considerably cheaper than other readily available high grit natural options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...ndroid-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
yeah that's exactly my thoughts which sparked my curiosity. high grit naturals for relatively cheap... might have to pull the trigger.

Those stones are intended for razors. I have one of each and find little use for either in the kitchen. Your edge needs to be highly refined before you see benefits from either the La Lune or Black Shadow. Plain leather stropping with a very light touch and good angle contol would probably help.

In razor land, the LA Lune has a reputation for a bitey edge, so I thought it could be good for herbs or sushi. I'm still planning some sharpening experiments but haven't gotten to it yet. You'll need a refined simple carbon steel to see much benefit, I'd expect.

Those stones are intended for razors. I have one of each and find little use for either in the kitchen. Your edge needs to be highly refined before you see benefits from either the La Lune or Black Shadow.

In razor land, the LA Lune has a reputation for a bitey edge, so I thought it could be good for herbs or sushi. I'm still planning some sharpening experiments but haven't gotten to it yet. You'll need a refined simple carbon steel to see much benefit, I'd expect.
do update...

Just so you know, communicating with us members is greatly encouraged and appreciated. It's when vendors try to advertise and sell products without a membership that would get vendors in trouble.
Indeed. Discussions with OP are ongoing.

I have a combo amakusa/la lune combo bench and nagura from 1stone.

It's one of my home stones and I find the combination works well for carbon steel, I haven't tried it on stainless (I don't think I have 🤔).

The la lune is hard but with some slurry it becomes a bit more aggressive and leaves a bit of a toothy/bitey edge as @captaincaed suggested.

Back