2020 bucket list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m making this an annual tradition haha.
We had a 2018 thread, and a 2019 thread
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/2019-bucket-list.39792/

Now it’s time for a 2020 thread.

In years past we’ve discussed where our collection has gotten us and what we’re looking at for the near future.

Around this time last year I was dipping my toe in the western stainless steel world. I walked away with very positive impressions from Takamura HSPS pro, Blazen and Yoshikane SLD Damascus.

Ive returned to the carbon world though.
My newest purchase is a Watanabe 270mm Sujihiki and I’m quite happy with it. By the end of 2020 I’d like to get Shigehiro and Heiji sujis to accompany it.

For gyuto I have a custom from the 9 and a Heiji carbon that should be very close to completion any day now. Catcheside should be ready late February and I’ll squeeze in a TF Maboroshi in there somewhere.After TF I really would like another Shihan. He’s stepped up his game with forging and his new stuff supposedly has better distal taper. And his new handles look great.
Guys like Kippington and Isasmedjan are on my mind. Antzenberger too.

Kagekiyo looks like a winner to me, I definitely want a top shelf thin knife soon. Maybe Tanaka.

What are you guys looking at this year?

On order: two short sujis from Heiji, a 180 in ss and a 210 in carbon. I’m also on Kipington’s list for a 240 laser, which hopefully will be 2020 and not 2021. :)

Hopefully I’ll calm down a little this year and be satisfied with what I have, though. Or not. Would very much like to try out a TF at some point, but it’s not urgent.

Mostly Western makers. Kamon, Suntravel, Dalman, Isasmedjan, Dave Martell to go along with my Western knives from Devin, Xerxes, Raquin, Halcyon, Tilman and Carter...

I would like to nail down who my favorite Japanese sharpener is and commission a Honyaki. Good project for the year that probably take a few purchases to figure out.

The small Martell petty has been lurking in my mind.

Also a smaller Nakiri for the house and maybe I’ll try a Chinese Cleaver again.

Good luck with that chuckles. I’ve seen some pretty thick edges on direct ordered Honyakis, even from well respected sharpeners. Might want to emphasize thin behind the edge if you go that route.

What a great concept for a thread. It will be interesting to look back in a year to see if any of this came true.

I’d love to find a well used Takeda AS gyuto with a decent grind. I’m also looking to dip my toes into the TF pond (or Bermuda Triangle) with a 210 Mab. I “need” a stainless or semi-stainless beater gyuto of some sort for everyday cooking with the kids running around my feet. ...and I would want a Kurosaki at some point.

Split between wanting to add to things I know I like (Heiji, Mazaki, Marko, Tanaka) or try things that I might like (Halcyon, Dalman, Matsumi Hinoura) or try something totally diffrent (TF, Single bevels, entry Honyaki)

Bought way too many stones in 2019, but still looking for a few gems like a seriously good aka pin and Aizu.

Last but not least, morr Nakiri and cleavers

I am also primarily focused on Western makers of late: Kippington, Timothy Johnson, and Isasmedjan, plus maybe Catchside or Halcyon Forge if I found an irresistible deal. However, I'm trying to stick to my "don't spend over $350 on any single knife" rule.
I've become more interested in stainless/semi-stainless alloys lately: AEB-L, Nitro-V, NioMax (any maker using it yet?), CPM 154, and possibly Z-Finit/LC200N. I'm a bit less interested SG2/R2 and D2/SKD but availability might tip choices in that direction. For non stain-resistant steels I'll probably be primarily looking for Aogomi 1 and 1.2562 in 2020.
I don't have a true laser gyuto or a k-tip gyuto so I'll probably be keeping my eyes open for those but aside from those gaps there aren't many size, profile, or grind variations I feel like I'm really missing out on but BST presents all too frequent temptations. I am looking at funayukis, pettys/paring, and maybe another bunka or nakiri for 2020. I also plan to add a few stones both synthetic and natural, and a better flattening plate. My sharpening game could use quite a bit of mindful and observant practice.

Last edited:
I want to practice my regrinding. I have a 1x30 and should be able to turn knives into something that is a dream to use. Maybe I will even make a few blades. Maybe...

I’m dipping into the TF world. 180 mab on order to accompany my small 240-270 gyuto collection. If I like it I’ll probably order another. Definitely going to pick up a 270 or 300 mm suj. Most likely ashi in white 2. Try out some other makers in gyutos, maybe a petty. I try not to spend over $400 on a knife myself. I don’t cook at home a ton and if i’m bringing any knife into work I just don’t feel like having a nervous feeling of something really pricey on my board. I’m pretty satisfied with the gesshin stones I have. I just look for blades that will help me do my job to the fullest. Always love trying out new ones when I can. I’ve never been a stainless guy but I might need a new beater gyuto this year since my crappy kohetsu western AS 270 is getting close to its death bed. First carbon steel knife I ever bought. Was thinking maybe something inexpensive like a carbonext. Just not a fan of full stainless.

For 2020 i will try to stop buying many knives and focus on the ones i have. On the contrary, I want to trim the herd :)
First of all I will get rid of all the main stream knives or the knives which do not retain value.Why ? Because from a certain level on, performance and fnf are as good as it gets for most and only their retrained value differs. So I would rather have a couple of good and sought after knives than a lot of cheap knives knives which loose 10 to 20% value when you want to sell them (plus shipping).
So for 2020 I want to buy a Kato KU 240 WH if possible, so I have a backup for my KU standard( you never know when your precious might loose a tip in a freak accident) or a Tsukasa Hinoura River Jump 240( which I still regret not buying from a vendor in Europe last year). Oh and maybe a Bryan Raquin whose style i like a lot.

Last edited:
I'm happy with what I've got, but there are two items that I might splurge on if I suddenly have some spare cash this year:

First would be a really good "short sujihiki," something around 210mm and narrower in blade height than the 190mm petty I use for soft protein. And then maybe an Ikeda honyaki 210mm gyuto. In my current home kitchen I can't use anything longer than 210mm.

I bought my first J-knife july/august this year(Sakai Yusuke laser), and pretty soon I moved from light and narrow lasers towards tall and heftier blade(Toyama ss first one). I've found several wonderful knives: Isasmedjan, Kippingtons, Mazakis, Raquin, Dalman(only western handle), Yu Kurosaki, Takamura, Catcheside, Toyamas, Kochi, Watanabe, Hunter Valley Blades...

2020 is going to be painful, because I know I will have to let great knives go for getting new ones in :(. Looking more carbon than stainless. I have few orders in from western makers, looking for a few new ones too to try in 2020: the9, blacklotus, antzenberger, tsourkan, newhamknives...

From japanese makers looking for tall and longer Yoshikazu Tanaka. Maybe some true tall wide bevel knife. I would like to try a munetoshi nonhonyaki and maybe a 210 Takamura migaki for travelknife...

In general looking over 55mm tall blades...

One 180-210 petty/gyutohiki stainnless in z-wear/nitro-v/aeb-l...

I have my "lasers" Yu Kurosaki raijin and Kippingtons 52100, so propably no lasers in 2020.

Trying to keep single piece under 8-900$, so no shigefusas, katos or denkas etc. for me in 2020 :).

Biggest one: sharpening skills, the stones needs more attention :D.

I wish for just one knife The Dalman 240 or 210 western honyaki. It's my dream knife and I hope I can find one in stock because I like it sooo much. Fingers crossed

Here is mine:
  • (Make) big full tang 1.2562 gyuto for a friend
  • (Make) more knives than in 2019
  • Buy a house (hopefully with a proper workshop space, ideally forging friendly)
  • Subaru BRZ or Toyota GT86 (most likely not new) - that is to deal with my middle age crisis - Yaris Hybrid is not quite cutting it
  • Giant Mouse GM6 (depends on the price) - I simply love the design
  • Maybe one custom knife (not quite sure on the maker, there are many really great ones)
  • Deba of some sorts (really liking the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Ai-Deba from JCK)
  • Visit more friends (and take one of them for a proper road trip with the new car :) )

I bought my first J-knife july/august this year(Sakai Yusuke laser), and pretty soon I moved from light and narrow lasers towards tall and heftier blade(Toyama ss first one). I've found several wonderful knives: Isasmedjan, Kippingtons, Mazakis, Raquin, Dalman(only western handle), Yu Kurosaki, Takamura, Catcheside, Toyamas, Kochi, Watanabe, Hunter Valley Blades...

2020 is going to be painful, because I know I will have to let great knives go for getting new ones in :(. Looking more carbon than stainless. I have few orders in from western makers, looking for a few new ones too to try in 2020: the9, blacklotus, antzenberger, tsourkan, newhamknives...

From japanese makers looking for tall and longer Yoshikazu Tanaka. Maybe some true tall wide bevel knife. I would like to try a munetoshi nonhonyaki and maybe a 210 Takamura migaki for travelknife...

In general looking over 55mm tall blades...

One 180-210 petty/gyutohiki stainnless in z-wear/nitro-v/aeb-l...

I have my "lasers" Yu Kurosaki raijin and Kippingtons 52100, so propably no lasers in 2020.

Trying to keep single piece under 8-900$, so no shigefusas, katos or denkas etc. for me in 2020 :).

Biggest one: sharpening skills, the stones needs more attention :D.

Let me know if that Toyama starts looking for new home in the process ;)

Here is mine:
  • (Make) big full tang 1.2562 gyuto for a friend
  • (Make) more knives than in 2019
  • Buy a house (hopefully with a proper workshop space, ideally forging friendly)
  • Subaru BRZ or Toyota GT86 (most likely not new) - that is to deal with my middle age crisis - Yaris Hybrid is not quite cutting it
  • Giant Mouse GM6 (depends on the price) - I simply love the design
  • Maybe one custom knife (not quite sure on the maker, there are many really great ones)
  • Deba of some sorts (really liking the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Ai-Deba from JCK)
  • Visit more friends (and take one of them for a proper road trip with the new car :) )
Not enough knife buying in this comment, mods please delete ;)

I'm on kips list.
Would love to try kamon.
I'm going to sell more knives than I'll buy.

I want to track down a used Hide. I missed the boat on these and want to see what they're all about.
Marko workhorse on A2/D2 (I forget which one he works with).
I'd also like to see what Kippington's hook grind is up to.

2020, the year of food release.

Last edited:
2019 was a pivotal year for me. So many firsts. First hands on experience of Kiyosho Kato (I'm ruined now) knives, Honyaki (Comet) and Jnats. I've reached a point where price is less of an overriding consideration. For me its all about the cutting experience, honing in on my preferred grind and profile, as well as the steel. 2020 will continue that process as I step up my game and try to acquire some Unicorns (Japanese honyaki, Catcheside, Antzenberger) and commission some unique customs that have all the elements I now know suit me and my cutting style best. 2020 should be a good one.

There are so many knife brands and styles I have yet to try, but a Konosuke gyuto is top of my list... maybe HD2 and/or Fujiyama. Toyama too but just ordered one .

I also want to improve my sharpening skills, but that’s another topic...

One of these days I would love to get on the custom train you all talk about. I haven’t had anything custom yet and i’m not super familiar with alot of the US based guys. Should probably get on that.

Latest posts

Back