2020 bucket list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is TheNine working for you?
It is very likely the best knife I have owned. 250X56 and around 250g if I recall correctly. The edge is outrageously thin and the steel is extraordinary. It's never leaving the collection. Robert is also a really great guy to work with

It is very likely the best knife I have owned. 250X56 and around 250g if I recall correctly. The edge is outrageously thin and the steel is extraordinary. It's never leaving the collection. Robert is also a really great guy to work with
I was affraid of something like this 😂. If you had to, what steel would you compare the 125sc?

If you're wondering what's going to be on your 2021 list... I think you already know.

SC125 reminds me most of white #1, it's very hard ~64-65 HRC so it's a bit glassy on the stones but yielding in the way that white #1 feels when it's taken to the limit.

2020 has been out of control. So far, I’ve bought and kept:

Kippington 240 workpony
Toyama 180 nakiri
Shigehiro 270 suji
Gesshin Heiji honesuki
Heiji 180 petty

And bought and sold:

Watanabe pro 180 nakiri
Tanaka Yohei 240
TF Maboroshi 240
Catcheside ~190 gyuto
Munetoshi butcher
Watanabe 180 gyuto
Ikeda 240 gyuto in Wh2
Heiji 210 petty
Ashi Ginga 240

(Note: in order to buy the ones on the first list, I sold things that I bought last year.)

Why did you sell the Watanabe Pro 180 nakiri then buy the Toyama 180 nakiri?

2020 has been out of control. So far, I’ve bought and kept:

Kippington 240 workpony
Toyama 180 nakiri
Shigehiro 270 suji
Gesshin Heiji honesuki
Heiji 180 petty

And bought and sold:

Watanabe pro 180 nakiri
Tanaka Yohei 240
TF Maboroshi 240
Catcheside ~190 gyuto
Munetoshi butcher
Watanabe 180 gyuto
Ikeda 240 gyuto in Wh2
Heiji 210 petty
Ashi Ginga 240

(Note: in order to buy the ones on the first list, I sold things that I bought last year.)
Nice list. How do you like the Heiji petty? Carbon?

Heiji petty is great. Mine’s semistainless. It’s not the best splitting hard dense stuff, but if you use it for the right things it’s great.
I have Heiji on my bucket list next year. I don't know yet gyuto or petty/slicer...

So far so good, much better on sharpenning. Still have to do a better job on polishing, kasumi finish.

Got a little deeper on the rabbit role, bought some new natural stones, Ohira Range Suita, Ohira Iromono, Koma Nagura, Aoto, Mejiro Nagura, Tenjou Nagura.

Sold a few knives, bought new ones

New knives:
Hakata from Haruki Miyazaki
Munetoshi Slicer with custom handle
Old Batch Gyoto from Naoki Mazaki, charcoal forged and water quenched
Kogatana Sakamitu (Kiridashi)

Sold knives:
Tanaka Suminagashi Gyoto
Konosuke YS Gyoto
Greg Cimms Custom Kiritsuke

My bucket list for next year include an Raquin, Tsukasa Hinoura (in progress) and Heiji

This is nice to hear. I'm several months out, but feeling lucky to be in the list. If you're up for a short DM, I'm curious how the order process went for you.

I accomplished everything I sought out to do...Already scheming for 2021...the year of the stainless clad wa gyuto.

"You're late to the party."- Stainless clad Wa Gyuto owners of the world.

That said, I can help you rid of your non-stainless knives.

Last edited:
I am also primarily focused on Western makers of late: Kippington, Timothy Johnson, and Isasmedjan, plus maybe Catchside or Halcyon Forge if I found an irresistible deal. However, I'm trying to stick to my "don't spend over $350 on any single knife" rule.
I've become more interested in stainless/semi-stainless alloys lately: AEB-L, Nitro-V, NioMax (any maker using it yet?), CPM 154, and possibly Z-Finit/LC200N. I'm a bit less interested SG2/R2 and D2/SKD but availability might tip choices in that direction. For non stain-resistant steels I'll probably be primarily looking for Aogomi 1 and 1.2562 in 2020.
I don't have a true laser gyuto or a k-tip gyuto so I'll probably be keeping my eyes open for those but aside from those gaps there aren't many size, profile, or grind variations I feel like I'm really missing out on but BST presents all too frequent temptations. I am looking at funayukis, pettys/paring, and maybe another bunka or nakiri for 2020. I also plan to add a few stones both synthetic and natural, and a better flattening plate. My sharpening game could use quite a bit of mindful and observant practice.

I did buy a knife from Harbeer/HSC/// this year but no Catchsides or HFs. I'm back on the Kippington wait list for a third knife from him and talking to Thornton Blades/Beau Nidle. I'd still be interested in the right HF but my eyes are more firmly fixed on a 220 - 230mm AEB-L gyuto from Devin Thomas, Dalman, or maybe Mario Ingoglia. I also might talk to Harbeer about a 52100 san mai or warikomi gyuto. Additionally I've become interested in the, so-far little used, Z-Tuff and Sleipner alloys. On paper Sleipner look like a sort of super A2/SKD and hopefully will come without the economic bite of many of the Vasco Wear derived alloys from Zapp. Maybe I should talk to Jonas/Isasmedjan or one of the other Scandinavian makers since Sleipner appears to be named for Oden's horse.
I did spend more than $350 on a single knife so that rule is broken.
I did buy a laser gyuto with mixed feelings: cuts great, almost too light, and the food release leaves quite a bit to be desired.
I did but some new stones both synthetic and JNATS but I still need to really settle down and seriously work on my sharpening skills.

For 2021 I'm looking at selling some knives and buying fewer than I sell. I'll also be casually looking for a Koshiji, an Aizu, or maybe an Aoto/Atogoyama to fill in a slot in my line-up in the roughly 2k - 3.5k range.

Last edited:
I did buy a knife from Harbeer/HSC/// this year but no Cartchsides or HFs. I'm back on the Kippington wait list for a third knife from him and talking to Thornton Blades/Beau Nidle. I'd still be interested in the right HF but my eyes are more firmly fixed on a 220 - 230mm AEB-L gyuto from Devin Thomas, Dalman, or maybe Mario Ingoglia. I also might talk to Harbeer about a 52100 san mai or warikomi gyuto. Additionally I've become interested in the, so-far little used, Z-Tuff and Sleipner alloys. On paper Sleipner look like a sort of super A2/SKD and hopefully will come without the economic bite of many of the Vasco Wear derived alloys from Zapp. Maybe I should talk to Jonas/Isasmedjan or one of the other Scandinavian makers since Sleipner appear to be named for Oden's horse.
I did spend more than $350 on a single knife so that rule is broken.
I did buy a laser gyuto with mixed feelings: cuts great, almost too light, and the food release leaves quite a bit to be desired.
I did but some new stones both synthetic and JNATS but I still need to really settle down and seriously work on my sharpening skills.

For 2021 I'm looking at selling some knives and buying fewer than I sell. I'll also be casually looking for a Koshiji, an Aizu, or maybe an Aoto/Atogoyama to fill in a slot in my line-up in the roughly 2k - 3.5k range.
@HSC /// Knives Zwear and 52100 are very well done, in my experience.

Yeah, Harbeer told me to talk to you. I've been putting it off since I don't have the funds right now and am trying avoid extra temptation.
He is in France on "vacation" setting up a workshop right now :D

I wouldn't hesitate to use either steel. Just depends on what you want out of the steel.

My 2020 has been pretty lame, but thanks to not constantly buying new knives I've narrowed down the ones I really love.

Now I need to sell a couple knives and buy some stones. Any one know how I can get knife shipping boxes without buying new knives?

• A nicely ground Takeda
  • A Shig Kitaeji
  • Maybe a TF denka?
  • A s-grind custom?
Looking back at my original post. I passed the Takeda impulse. Still trying to get a Shig Kitaeji. Ordered a denka. Ordered a custom s-grind from Mathias Ekman which should arrive by year end.

In addition, bought and sold the following:
  • Mazaki kasumi 240
  • Shibata R2 240
  • Yoshikane SKD Amekiri 240
  • Y Tanaka dammy blue 1 240
  • Masashi SLD 270
  • Masamoto KS 240 (selling)
Sold the following:
  • Anryu blue 2 240
  • Konosuke Togatta GS+ 240
  • Ikkanshi Tadatuna white 2 240
  • Wakui migaki 210
  • Shibata AS 240
  • Zkramer dammy 10"
  • Sukenari hap40 suji 270
  • Munetoshi ku 240mm

Bought and kept:
  • Mazaki ku 240 Yoshihiro version
  • Y. Ikeda white 3 konyaki 240
  • Shun Hiro sg2 bread knife
  • Takamura migaki R2 santoku 170
  • Takamura Hana suji 270
  • Masamoto KS deba 180
  • Mathias Ekman aebl suji 347mm
  • Zanmai Ultimate Aranami 240
  • Shiraki white 2 Mt. Fuji honyaki 270
  • Majime 9 inch k-tip aebl gyuto
  • CCK 1303
  • Konosuke HD2 yo 240
  • Shibata Kotetsu AS Tank
  • Sukenari ZDP189 dammy 270
  • KKF supporting membership

Last edited:
I crossed more than half of my list fo last year and then got some extras [emoji23].

@labor thx for the Yoshikane western xD

For this year.

Transferred from January last year's list:

-Halcyonforge integral sanmai
-Bunch of rehandled and sayas for keepers

New additions:
- Kochi with machi
- Something from Catcheside or Yannick (might sneak LaSeur there)
-Custom Heiji
- A Raquin/Opinel folder
- A suji 280-300mm from Raquin and/or Halcyonforge.

-Keep tightening the jnat collection (I'm getting it close to 30 now and sold more than I bought in 2019 [emoji28])
Did solid so far with this list:
Missing the Heiji and the HF integral only.

Back