2020 bucket list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, alcohol is tasty, although for me, the refreshing and satisfying taste of fresh, cold water when you're super thirsty is something that can't be beat.

I agree, water's where it's at. Actually, I fortify my fresh, cold water with a bit of grains for healthy carbs, and steep some aromatics in there for extra flavor. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Panda is talking about a Mizuno ks blue dx that is not a honyaki. It is a nice knife. I went out and replaced it with another one from the same batch. I have had three so far and @panda has the pick of the litter.

Panda is talking about a Mizuno ks blue dx that is not a honyaki. It is a nice knife. I went out and replaced it with another one from the same batch. I have had three so far and @panda has the pick of the litter.

Thanks. Part of my bucket list was to sell off some knives and zero in on what I like. I haven't sold much yet but I also haven't bought anything because I put myself on time out. I've been thinking about pick up a Mizuno the last few days as a bday gift to myself.

Has there been a big variance in the 3 of them? What made @panda 's the pick of the litter?

Unofruently mine didn't go so well:
- Finally ordered a custom knife, now that's in limbo (that other long thread, now locked)
- I did make a knife block I'm mostly very happy with (parring knife area can use some finishing)
- I did get a Konosuke SKD .. pretty stellar knife
- No Mazaki, or other wishlisted knives .. due to first item.

Pretty decent 2020 for me. I think I hit most of the styles and steels I wanted to try.

bought and sold:

Shun Kramer SG2 8" chef
Shun Ken Onion VG-10 10" chef knife
Enso HD 6.5" VG-10 Nakiri
Kurosaki shiziku SG2 165mm bunka

bought and kept or on the way

Mazaki kasumi 240 gyuto White#2
Mazaki kasumi 150 petty White#2
Harakuze 165 bunka Aogami Super
Doghouse Forge 180 bunka AEB-L
Runningman Forge 210 S-grind Chef 52100 shipping today
K. Sabatier 9" Authentique Olive Carbon arriving today

Trailer knives
Dalstrong Gladiator 3" Vg-10 pairing
Apogee dragon storm 9" BD1-N chef

Thanks. Part of my bucket list was to sell off some knives and zero in on what I like. I haven't sold much yet but I also haven't bought anything because I put myself on time out. I've been thinking about pick up a Mizuno the last few days as a bday gift to myself.

Has there been a big variance in the 3 of them? What made @panda 's the pick of the litter?
The Mizuno KS has been pretty consistent to me so far. But it’s a new line. All the Mizuno gyutos are nice grinds. I would choose based on overall length, profile and weight. I think the KS line is thinner than hontanren if memory serves. The custom handles are not worth the expense IMO. Hope that helps.

reason miz ks is my favorite knife: the grind and edge retention while still feeling great on stones. it has incredible food release while still has good ease of cutting.
thing it could be better: profile and grind at the tip

reason miz ks is my favorite knife: the grind and edge retention while still feeling great on stones. it has incredible food release while still has good ease of cutting.
thing it could be better: profile and grind at the tip
Whats the deal with the tip?

Back