2020 bucket list

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just needs to be thinner
Thats kind of what i thought you'd say. I would of figured that knife to have a thin tip. I have a Mert custom KS'ish :rolleyes: gyuto on the way, that im pretty excited about. Its going to have a very thin tip.

My 240 Miz honyaki had a great profile, but it is a short 240, so just make sure that is what you want. KS Miz is a long 240. Mizuno's are also not very popular around here so not easy to sell without taking a loss, especially on honyaki.

My 240 Miz honyaki had a great profile, but it is a short 240, so just make sure that is what you want. KS Miz is a long 240. Mizuno's are also not very popular around here so not easy to sell without taking a loss, especially on honyaki.
Why aren’t Mizuno’s popular here? I’m thinking of getting one (or two).

They’re popular among people who know what’s up. They’re just not hype machines like Konowhatever.
Ah okay - makes me like it even more.. You know, ever since I saw that Japanese man using a Hontanren deba filleting a big fish at a Tokyo market on youtube, I can’t get it out of my head.

From last year:
Learn to sharpen single beveled knives, yanagibas, make more sushi.
Learn to use finer grit stones, 6000 and 8000.
Try a 210 petty, probably a konosuke hd2 with the older long skinny handle with white ferrule and no machi gap to go with a 240 gyuto of the same ilk- my winner of the laser trials so far.
Or, maybe a Suisin inox honyaki 210 petty, newer batch.
Find a Wakui 180 nakiri with a thin grind and put a rosewood handle on it to go with my 165.
Look for a Kikuichi TKC 240 gyuto to go with my 210.
Maybe try a JCK Deep Impact 210 gyuto.
Work on some ebay project knives that I have.
Teach my friends how to sharpen.

Update:
Learning to sharpen yanagibas, got a set of permasoakers to do it with, Cerax.
Making sushi, love it, got a hinoki board and hangiri to help.
Got a 6k Arashiyama, used it a couple of times, didnt like the edge for everyday cooking, got an 8k Kitayama, great for yanagibas and sushi.
Decided I like 210 gyuto sakai lasers better than petties for cutting maki rolls, current fave Suisin inox honyaki, comparing to HD2 and Tad.
Found the 180 Wakui nakiri, rehandled it in rosewood, comparing it to a Kashima Sanjo.
Found a Kikuichi TKC 240 gyuto.
Got a Deep Impact, didnt keep it.
Teaching my friends to sharpen and sharpening friends knives.

Next:
Have a Blazen 210 and 240 rehandled.
Compare the Blazens to the Akifusa srs 15's, old stock.
Get a honesuki, learn to use it, and make yakitori.
Try more yanagibas, get better at sharpening them, get a Hide.
Continue to compare the Sakai lasers, SIH, Tad, and HD.
Continue to remind myself I dont need a deba even though I want one.
Maybe get a heavier carbon or semi stainless sujihiki.
Use my cleavers more.
Probably put up another magnetic knife bar or 2.

Last edited:
From last year:
Learn to sharpen single beveled knives, yanagibas, make more sushi.
Learn to use finer grit stones, 6000 and 8000.
Try a 210 petty, probably a konosuke hd2 with the older long skinny handle with white ferrule and no machi gap to go with a 240 gyuto of the same ilk- my winner of the laser trials so far.
Or, maybe a Suisin inox honyaki 210 petty, newer batch.
Find a Wakui 180 nakiri with a thin grind and put a rosewood handle on it to go with my 165.
Look for a Kikuichi TKC 240 gyuto to go with my 210.
Maybe try a JCK Deep Impact 210 gyuto.
Work on some ebay project knives that I have.
Teach my friends how to sharpen.

Update:
Learning to sharpen yanagibas, got a set of permasoakers to do it with, Cerax.
Making sushi, love it, got a hinoki board and hangiri to help.
Got a 6k Arashiyama, used it a couple of times, didnt like the edge for everyday cooking, got an 8k Kitayama, great for yanagibas and sushi.
Decided I like 210 gyuto sakai lasers better than petties for cutting maki rolls, current fave Suisin inox honyaki, comparing to HD2 and Tad.
Found the 180 Wakui nakiri, rehandled it in rosewood, comparing it to a Kashima Sanjo.
Found a Kikuichi TKC 240 gyuto.
Got a Deep Impact, didnt keep it.
Teaching my friends to sharpen and sharpening friends knives.

Next:
Have a Blazen 210 and 240 rehandled.
Compare the Blazens to the Akifusa srs 15's, old stock.
Get a honesuki, learn to use it, and make yakitori.
Try more yanagibas, get better as sharpening them, get a Hide.
Continue to compare the Sakai lasers, SIH, Tad, and HD.
Continue to remind myself I dont need a deba even though I want one.
Maybe get a heavier carbon or semi stainless sujihiki.
Use my cleavers more.
Probably put up another magnetic knife bar or 2.

There's a new thread! This is old news!

Have a Yoshikazu Tanaka and a Morihei Hisamoto on their way. Also on Ian Rogers’ list for a Haburn and on Black Lotus list as well. I’m trying different steels and grinds until I finally hone in on what I really like. Also planning on passing a few on. Probably my Raquin will be first to leave.

Got my first JNat and want to get proficient with it. Should be a great year.
Hey, how do you like the Morihei Hisamoto? Is it a laser?

Back