2021 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday, August 1, Washington, DC Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
At my house in Alexandria (northern Virginia) again -- same as the few years before 2020.

Lots of knives. Lots of food. Lots of home cooks and pro cooks. District Cutlery (nee DC Sharp) and Butch Harner should be here as well. A handful of regulars already have it on their schedule.

Great opportunity to catch up with old friends, make some new ones, ogle and fondle a few hundred kitchen knives, eat some good food and lie to a bunch of people about how good a sharpener you are.

The event is indoor, so no problems with weather. We put in a patio last Fall, so if it's not normal late July/ early August weather it's a good hang-out spot.

We are spouse-friendly, so feel free to bring yours out.

I have contact info for most past attendees. If you have not been here before and would like to attend please PM me your name and an email address and I will send you out additional information prior to the event (including the address).

For those who would like to cook here there is a gas stovetop, some ovens, a gas grill and a charcoal grill or two.

I would like to pull together a dinner the night before, like in the old days. (well, like in every year except 2019, when no one could make it)

Please note that due to the indoor nature of this event attendees must be fully vaccinated.

Thank you! And it's comforting to realize, in the context of knives, that I don't have to feel threatened when someone says they've missed me:

Attachments

• Missed.jpg
    Missed.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 23
Oooh I'll be out of town :( Really wish I could be here with my amaro dell Etna! Next time!

Bumping this. I have reached out to quite a few DC-area members via PM or email, but many have not yet responded. @rogue108, Chang and I swapped messages last week, so I think we are good. @musicman980 , shoot me a PM with an email address and I can get you on my distro list for when I send out more detailed info as we get closer to the event.

There will be a few attendees that don't come to KKF much anymore, as well as a handful of people who are not on the forums.

No issues with graduations, weddings, etc., but sadly it is when many will be taking vacations.

Not that NYC is that far away... And easy 4 hour sprint down, play with knives for a few hours, and sprint back up. :D

BUMP

Less than 4 weeks to go until the ECG.

Shoot me a PM with your email address if you are interested on receiving info.

Will do. @julestools please shoot me a PM with your email address (I think I saw you on IG as well).

Andrew, please bring Mark Vietri and Mike Solomonov as well. Thank you.

:laughingchef:

Dave,
I'm getting to this message late. Where do I find Mark Vietri and Mike Solomonov? How should I kidnap them and get them VA? Is this a deal where I need to get an unmarked box van, black hoods, and tranquilizers.

I'm pretty sure they knock around in downtown Philadelphia. It's not a very big place, so just drive around until you come across Vietri sitting on the front steps of one of his restaurants drinking an espresso. No need for an unmarked van or hoods, as people who see them in your car will figure they are just sleeping after a long cooking session together. But you will definitely need the tranquilizers.

Hey All! David finally got a hold of me via PM and we are confirmed in attending. It sounded like food was already well covered so I have offered to prepare some cocktails and provide a loose 'cocktail class' once or maybe twice throughout the event if there is interest.

I am not sure how regularly everyone is checking in on this thread, but if anyone reads this and can provide rough time frames when they plan to be in attendance I can plan the potential class or two around that. Otherwise I guess we can shoot for the middle of the party and hope for solid overlap.

Also, if anyone has any strong base liqour preferences I will happily accept input. Right now I am planning for 3 or maybe 4 drinks based around a whiskey, a gin, a rum or tequila and possibly a fourth spirit.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, checking out some awesome knives and eating some delicious food!

Cheers,
Mike O

David,

Thanks for hosting this! i am looking forward to attending and seeing everyone again. Is there a list of what people are bringing food wise? Has anyone offered to try and replicate Doug Seward's pork belly crack? That was always so amazing.

Bill, there is no list of food yet. Right now we are trying to stay focused on the important things -- the drinks! 🍸

One forum members messaged me this morning that he will be grilling two flank steaks. I made jerk chicken last week and have a good amount of the paste left, so I may grill some half chickens on a pack or two of thighs.

Rick (Theory) brought porchetta in 2019, and it was killer. I don't know what he has in mind this year.

Is this open for anyone in the DC Area to attend? Any obligation associated with attending? I'm unclear whether I'll be in town that weekend or not, but looks fun.

@nwshull it's only open to those who likes knives, food, drinks and have been vaccinated. And you don't even have to be in the DC area -- past ECGs in VA and PA have drawn forum members from Hawaii, CA, WI, PA, NY, NJ, NC, etc.

I’ve been vaccinated and like all three, so count me in, assuming I’m in town, still waiting on a family thing for timing.

Attendees, there will be some lessons on natural stone polishing/ kasumi finishing. Please bring some sai mai, wide bevel knives and/ or iron clad knives you would like to try polishing. This is an extra-special treat, along with learning a lot about natural stones from a very accomplished forum member.

My enthusiasm continues to build. I plan to drive down Sunday (from Philly, as usual -- and happy to try and provide a lift to anyone else in the area who's interested, if feasible). Maybe I missed some reference to the schedule, but around what time on Sunday do you expect attendees to be arriving?

Whenever people start rolling in. The last couple of events some of the travelers (i.e, Doug (RIP :-( ) and Butch usually rolled in around 11:30 am. The pace picked up a lot at noon.

I was just reading some Covid stuff the City of Alexandria sent out earlier tonight. Cases around here are rising. They are recommending masking even if vaccinated when at indoor public spaces, which my house will be on Sunday for all practical purposes. I will not give anyone who wants to wear a mask a hard time -- everyone please do what makes you feel comfortable.

Sure wish I could make it...but a long drive from Santa Barbara! 😃

DRINK UPDATE

MikeO has been working with a new distillery in DC (Chacho Distillery) on some cocktail recipes for the ECG. They produce japepeno-infused liquor, so it may be similar to Son's Native Heat from a few years ago. One of the distillery owners hopes to be here for part of the event. There should be a couple batch cocktails featuring Chacho's products, and MikeO will also use them for the cocktail class he is going to put on. Plus there will be some other liquor/ liqueurs around. There also may be some bottle of Chacho's liquors available for purchase at their wholesale pricing.

This will be the first time having real drinks/ cocktails since I started hosting, and it should add a another dimension to the event.

The polishing/ kasumi finishing lesson will also be a real treat (bring your san mai/ single bevels!).

Now I just need to hear what food some of you attendees may be bringing :cool:

Latest posts

Back