2021 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday, August 1, Washington, DC Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to report we were able to pull together a group to go to dinner on Saturday night. We'll be visiting ChefCosta at Zaytinya again this year, which is always a treat. On a side note, DC just announced today that masks are required again when indoors starting at 5:00 am on Saturday; vaccination status does not matter.

*EDITED* Probably would be wise for ECG attendees on Sunday to be masked, for the safety of everyone in attendance (just to avoid confusion -- this is NOT a mandate, just a suggestion). Neither Virginia nor Alexandria have issued a formal requirement, but since DC made an announcement today it is possible at least Alexandria will follow on their heels -- *if they do*, attendees will be asked to comply.

Last edited:
getting ready for tomorrow

IMG_20210730_194638_968.jpg
20210731_011948.jpg
20210731_140323.jpg

Hopefully some of the attendees who too pics will post them here. I think there are quite a few scattered around IG, but not tagged to #kkfecg2021.

Very cool event with MikeO and a chef friend of his making up cocktails, and musicman980 showing a vast array of natural stones and how to use them. And we ate some good food, too. Oh, and there may have been a knife two... Or maybe close to 300.

We also all met knifemaker Henry Hyde for the first time. He makes some really nice knives with great profiles.

Great pictures, thanks for posting those!
I missed that Wilburn Forge, whose was that?
Not 100% certain, but the Wilburn Forge might have been one of mine.

And, yes, thanks for posting the pictures, which roughly convey how impressive so many knives on display were -- even though, in most cases they represented only a small portion of their owners' collections.

David, you deserve a public commendation for going through all the trouble each year to host the ECG; thank you again!

Jayson, thanks for making the trek up here. It was nice meeting you and Danielle. And thanks for posting the pics. :cool:

It was a really mind meltingly amazing experience. I've never been around so many unicorns. Thanks to everyone who shared their knives, knowledge, food and drink

And, yes, thanks for posting the pictures, which roughly convey how impressive so many knives on display were -- even though, in most cases they represented only a small portion of their owners' collections.

David, you deserve a public commendation for going through all the trouble each year to host the ECG; thank you again!

The Wilburn was one of yours Larry.

You have a remarkable collection

Larry, the knives you brought were stunning. That Lisch is absolutely mesmerizing.

Happy to host to get the old gang back together. And add to it with people from Philly and Richmond I have not met before, including some new faces from the DC/ Baltimore regions.

Larry, the knives you brought were stunning. That Lisch is absolutely mesmerizing.

Happy to host to get the old gang back together. And add to it with people from Philly and Richmond I have not met before, including some new faces from the DC/ Baltimore regions.

Props to Henry Hyde (knife maker from Baltimore) Had a great time talking knives with him and my significant other pulled the trigger on a cool little petty. W2 dressed with black palm and stabilized walnut. Thick spine, double concave, itty bitty tip. Had a blast cooking dinner with it tonight
PXL_20210801_201220854.jpg

PXL_20210802_014249426.jpg

I'm a bit jealous of you US guys being able to meet in decent numbers.

How do KKFers react to TFs in person?

I'm a bit jealous of you US guys being able to meet in decent numbers.

How do KKFers react to TFs in person?
I got to hold a TF for the first time. A brand new 270 that the owner of District Cutlery brought.
Okay, at the risk of revealing even greater ignorance than those who have met me have already recognized: I give up -- what is a "TF"? (Standing by, waiting to be extremely embarrassed.)
Teruyasu Fujiwara (the one on top with the finger notch)

The reputation is very nice steel and grind. Crap fit and finish. Very expensive.

The one I saw looked pretty good except for the bolster.

PXL_20210801_181220886.MP.jpg

Last edited:
But the sad, even pathetic, irony, is that some of the owners don't come close to having sufficient knowledge, sophistication and/or skills to really appreciate what they own.

(No, don't ask me to name at least one example.)

Great meeting and talking to everyone at the event. A big thanks to David for hosting and to everyone who brought their knives and let us oggle and handle them.

I am looking forward to the next one!

I will see if Jime has any photos I can post up to add to what Stringer loaded up thus far.

And all the while I thought he was such a nice guy. Seems like he sure had me fooled. Maybe I should have counted my knives before I packed up and left.
Larry,

Very sorry this took me so long to get around to. Work has been crazy blah blah blah:). Anyway here it is:

Hummus from Sababa cookbook

Two 15-oz cans of chickpeas, drained (3/4 c. liquid reserved)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. pure tahini paste
1/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more if you like very lemony hummus
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil and smoked paprika, for serving

In bowl of food processor, combine the chickpeas with 1/2 c. of the reserved chickpea liquid, the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and salt and process until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes depending on the strength of your processor and how creamy you want the hummus to be. Add more of the reserved chickpea liquid as needed to reach the consistency you want, and season with more salt to taste.

Garlic confit from Yotam Ottolenghi Teaches Modern Middle Eastern Cooking (MasterClass series)

12 garlic cloves, peeled
6 thyme sprigs
1 green chili (I did not add this)
200 ml olive oil
salt

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce-pan over medium-low heat. Cover and cook until the garlic is soft and just beginning to color, about 20-25 minutes.
Leave the lid on, remove from the heat, and set aside for 10 minutes; the garlic will continue to cook in the heat of the oil.
Strain the oil into a clean glass jar and spoon in the garlic, thyme, and chili. Once cool, transfer everything to an airtight, sterilized jar and store at room temperature for several weeks.

My Notes: Good chickpeas are important so no Goya or Bushes. I used one can of Simply Organic and one can of Shahia I got from the local Middle Eastern market - they are from Jordan. Of course soaking dry beans overnight is even better.
We used Ziyad tahini paste and I am sure there is better but i have not done a tasting like I have for chick peas.
Toward the end of blending we added some salt, 8 of the gloves that were part of the confit, and about two thirds of a 1/4 cup of the oil.
The remaining oil we spooned on once plated.

Bill, All is forgiven! I have no doubt that it was worth waiting for. And I hope you took all my comments in the good-natured manner in which they were intended. And thanks for the bonus garlic confit recipe. I've been so eager to make the hummus. And I appreciate the notes concerning premium ingredients, etc. Regards, L

Back