2022 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday, July 24, Washington, DC Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for making the trip up from Richmond.

You and the Pennsylvania and Baltimore people really help make it an ECG. DC-area people are hard to corral; there were close to 10 local people who were no-shows yesterday. Having you guys, plus the crew that drove up from Charlottesville and especially Tyler (Nashville's in the house!) make the event sure a fun and eye-popping experience. The hardware on display takes leaps forward every year. My jaw was pretty much dragging on the floor as I walked around looking at the collections on display.

And it is so great to see so many new makers represented in the collections (jul3stools IG reels show a bunch of really nice ones), and having 6 makers in attendance.

The kitchen knife world has been growing by leaps and bounds. Years ago I worried about how full-time makers could survive. But demand seems to have skyrocketed and the makers all seem to be busier than ever. And it was nice having Butch in attendance again, as he had to miss it last year for the first time in a long time.
I've been seeing the posts and stories from various makers on Instagram who attended. Looks like a fun time!

Is that a Boardsmith cutting board I see under that watermelon?

I've been seeing the posts and stories from various makers on Instagram who attended. Looks like a fun time!

Is that a Boardsmith cutting board I see under that watermelon?
There were three Boardsmith boards out. Poppa Boar's, Momma Boar's and Baby Boar's :D

Quite a few friends and relatives have them as well. We gained a lot of appreciation for them a decade or so ago when David Smith came up to the DC area to participate in a large cooking and entertainment show (that's how WildBoar's Kitchen came to be -- I made up a company in order to reserve a booth to show product from various knifemakers and a knife roll maker, in order to help reduce the cost Boardsmith would need to pay. Booths cost a lot more than ones at the weekly farmers market, annual craft show, etc. in NC).

While most boards were purchased when David Smith was still the owner/ maker, there was no noticeable change when John Loftis took over the company; heck, he moved it forward even more.

All that crap about them lasting a lifetime is pretty much true. We have been beating on two of the boards daily for over a decade and they are still in great shape.

Here are some photos I took early on, and a handful Larry sent me.

20220724_113717.jpg
20220724_124102.jpg
20220724_140946.jpg
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG

David, sounds great, and thanks for hosting again! I can't bring the tables over until Sunday, at the beach until Saturday night:). I will bring hummus and a protein. How about you start a new thread for 23?

yeah, I will start a new thread. No problem on the tables; I mainly will use the few days leading up to the event to clear out the space and to get a jump on food, plates/ utensils, etc. Sorry you won't have time to catch your breath after vacation.

Back