2023 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday, July 16, Washington, DC Area

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm getting an earlier start on the announcement this year. Hopefully that will increase the chances of some restaurant people being able to get the day off, and to avoid vacation conflicts.

For those new to KKF, this is an annual gathering of old and new KKF friends/ acquaintances, and there are lots of sharp implements to ogle and caress. Group effort on food and drinks, so we all eat and drink well.

Last year we had a nice group of knife maker in attendance. Butch Harner, Henry Hyde, Jovian Forge (Andrew), Tony Laseur, Ben Zimmerman and Britton Steele. And local sharpener, restorer, engraver and all-around madman -- Victor Wolansky from Artisan Knife Services. All of these people have already responded that they should be able to attend again this year. Plus it looks like District Cutlery (Derek) will be able to attend. And it looks like the Philly crew will be back, as well as some people from NJ, Nashville and Richmond. And the king of all knife accumulators Marc4pt0.

The event is at my house in Alexandria (northern Virginia).

The event is indoor, so no problems with weather. Gas and charcoal grills outside, and ovens/ stove inside for those who want to cook or reheat food here.

We encourage attendees to bring some food to share.

We are spouse-friendly, so feel free to bring yours out. My wife and son will be out of town this year.

I have contact info for most past attendees. If you have not been here before and would like to attend please PM me your name and an email address and I will send you out additional information prior to the event (including the address).

And if there is interest we can pull together a dinner the night before. We had a group at Zaytinya a few times in the past, and one year a few of us went to a local Ethiopian restaurant.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I'm getting an earlier start on the announcement this year. Hopefully that will increase the chances of some restaurant people being able to get the day off, and to avoid vacation conflicts.

For those new to KKF, this is an annual gathering of old and new KKF friends/ acquaintances, and there are lots of sharp implements to ogle and caress. Group effort on food and drinks, so we all eat and drink well.

Last year we had a nice group of knife maker in attendance. Butch Harner, Henry Hyde, Jovian Forge (Andrew), Tony Laseur, Ben Zimmerman and Britton Steele. And local sharpener, restorer, engraver and all-around madman -- Victor Wolansky from Artisan Knife Services. All of these people have already responded that they should be able to attend again this year. Plus it looks like District Cutlery (Derek) will be able to attend. And it looks like the Philly crew will be back, as well as some people from NJ, Nashville and Richmond. And the king of all knife accumulators Marc4pt0.

The event is at my house in Alexandria (northern Virginia).

The event is indoor, so no problems with weather. Gas and charcoal grills outside, and ovens/ stove inside for those who want to cook or reheat food here.

We encourage attendees to bring some food to share.

We are spouse-friendly, so feel free to bring yours out. My wife and son will be out of town this year.

I have contact info for most past attendees. If you have not been here before and would like to attend please PM me your name and an email address and I will send you out additional information prior to the event (including the address).

And if there is interest we can pull together a dinner the night before. We had a group at Zaytinya a few times in the past, and one year a few of us went to a local Ethiopian restaurant.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

This is crazy, my bro lives in Alexandria VA and I need to visit him

That's great! There are some KKFers who may be able to advise on the easiest/ best ways to travel back and forth to the DC area if you are looking to make it a quick trip.

I'm looking for some feedback. District Cutlery will be here this year. In the past when Ryan or Derek attended we have kept it entirely social. But now that we have a lot more makers attending, plus quite a few people we looking to buy things last year, I am encouraging them to show attendees who they are and what they can do. To that effect the following are on the table:

1. Bring some interesting knives to sell, like some Carters and TFs
2. Allow customers to drop-off and pick-up knives for/ from their sharpening service
3. For attendees interested in selling some of their collection, bring a camera setup and take photos for their consignment sales (and they would offer reduced fees for their consignment service)
4. Bring an ex-chef who know makes custom sayas for them. He can bring some wood samples and even trace knives for those who may want to order at the ECG
5. Bring their mobile van and offer some sharpening and/ or knife repair on-site

Now #5 seems like something that may make the event not much fun for them, but if there is enough interest I will not discourage them. But it would be helpful to know a little ahead of time how many people would want to have some sharpening/ repairs done.

But is there interest in the consignment sales offer? And in possibly ordering sayas?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm looking for some feedback. District Cutlery will be here this year. In the past when Ryan or Derek attended we have kept it entirely social. But now that we have a lot more makers attending, plus quite a few people we looking to buy things last year, I am encouraging them to show attendees who they are and what they can do. To that effect the following are on the table:

1. Bring some interesting knives to sell, like some Carters and TFs
2. Allow customers to drop-off and pick-up knives for/ from their sharpening service
3. For attendees interested in selling some of their collection, bring a camera setup and take photos for their consignment sales (and they would offer reduced fees for their consignment service)
4. Bring an ex-chef who know makes custom sayas for them. He can bring some wood samples and even trace knives for those who may want to order at the ECG
5. Bring their mobile van and offer some sharpening and/ or knife repair on-site

Now #5 seems like something that may make the event not much fun for them, but if there is enough interest I will not discourage them. But it would be helpful to know a little ahead of time how many people would want to have some sharpening/ repairs done.

But is there interest in the consignment sales offer? And in possibly ordering sayas?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am highly likely to purchase at least one knife if there are knives for sale.

I am not interested in selling any knives or getting knives sharpened or sayas.

Put this on my calendar, hope I can make it.

I would be interested in re-handling some knives. I've got one that's crooked and one that is meh. I could learn to do it myself, but why not learn under the guidance of a professional?

What’s the date? (Sorry, saw it I. The title after posting)
Shoot me a DM if you have any questions.

Only 7 weeks away!

Knife Makers: Butch Harner - Henry Hyde - Jovian Forge - Ben Zimmerman - Britton Steele - Tony Laseur - Eleven Knives - Cur Custom (tentative yes)

Sharpeners, Rehandlers and Enablers Extraordinaire: District Cutlery

Sharpener, Restorer, Engraver, Generally just a fascinating guy: Artisan Knife Services

Sayas: Kevin Grenzig

I'm hoping to book a table for dinner on Saturday, July 15, at Zaytinya. Will shoot for 7:30 or 8:00 pm. Please let me know if you are interested, and how many people.

https://www.zaytinya.com/location/washington-dc/
The other times we went we did Chef's Experience. That is $72/ pp prior to tax (10%) and service charge/ tip (20%). So figure a little under $100/ pp plus the cost of drinks.

Please let me know if you are interested, and how many people. I need to book pretty soon.

ECG is just four weeks from today!

So far the there are 37 people who have indicated they are coming, and another dozen are 'Maybe'. These #s do not include spouses/ SOs.

For dinner on July 15 it was already too late when I tried to book Zaytinya, so I went with China Chilcano instead. It is Jose Andres' Peruvian restaurant; we've eaten there a handful of times and it's always been good. It is only 2 blocks from Zaytinya, so still near the Chinatown area of DC. There are 7 people going at this point, but we will happily add more to the group. if you want to attend shoot me a DM. Reservation is for 7:30 pm.

Am once again planning to attend this terrific event. Just wanted to mention that I expect to drive there -- from Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill/West Mount Airy section) just for the day, and would be glad to provide transportation for others who can meet me at my house (where they may park their own vehicles in my driveway). Should be plenty of room (in my Subaru Forester); so far, only likely passenger is birdsfan, if his schedule permits.

Back