210 petty/suji/slicer for raw protein

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viggetorr

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Long petty, sujihiki or slicer. I want a low profile to minimize drag, somehwere aroud 35mm at the handle

Right handed.

Prefer japanese handle, but not a deal breaker.

Length: 210mm, give or take.

Prefer carbon, especially white steel.

Max budget: ca 300 USD

KNIFE USE
For home use.

Main tasks: cutting chicken/fish/tofu in uniform pieces, horizontal slices for chicken cutlets. Basically processing smaller boneless protein. On rare occasions carving cooked meat.

Replacing: a 200 Wusthof Classic chef's knife.

Pinch grip.

Cutting motions: Slicing, push cut, pull cut.

Improvements: carbon steel, sharper, japanese handle, better aesthetics, easier to sharpen

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Wood/soft plastic boards.

I sharpen my own knives.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'd like a pronounced curve/belly towards the tip that allows med to angle the handle above the tip without risking that the tip digs into the board (if that makes sense) See for example (no need for the profile to be as flat as it is up to the tip though):
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3c95be56a86764276cd39f9fbe6a1cba&oe=5AF82C7A

I'd also like the knife not to be super light. Preferably 120g or more. Ordering from the states works, but given the high shipping I'd prefer somewhere in Europe.

To summarize: 210 petty/suji in carbon steel with some weight to it and a curved profile.

I'd maybe look at watanabe and ask him to do a 190 suji

edit: if you want a a scimitar type curved profile, maybe something else.

I have a Gesshin Ginga 210 carbon wa-gyuto that I absolutely love, I can't imagine the 210 petty being any less great.

I have a Gesshin Ginga 210 carbon wa-gyuto that I absolutely love, I can't imagine the 210 petty being any less great.

The Ginga is really light, yes? How do you think this performs performance for protein?

Latest posts

Back