D. Martell 210mm Damasteel Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Three months ago I put the call out looking for a willing patron to fund a Damasteel project knife and Bruce answered the call. :thumbsup:

He asked for something a bit different then I normally do but that was OK as it fit (dimensional wise) the limited sizing that this steel can be found in flat stock form. He requested a "rocking santoku" patterned (exactly) from a Miyabi, just expanded in all dimensions. He opted to go with Damasteel's Rose pattern steel, specified the heel height, thickness, and length of the blade as well as asking for a green western handle.

I wanted to get the best quality nicest looking green wood I could find and I sure got lucky when I came across this stabilized block of maple. It was the costliest maple I've ever purchased but the results are nothing short of spectacular - best stuff I've ever had.

I paired the wood up with a stacked nickel silver bolster, something new to me. The handle is western style like I normally make yet I added a bit of different styling to it, just to jazz it up a bit.

As for the steel, this is a stainless powdered damascus, not your everyday stuff. The heat treat was taken to Rc62-63 with cryo. IMO, it ground pretty easy compared to CPM154 (also a powdered stainless) yet wasn't as easy to finish to a high shine as CPM154 is.

This steel requires a different etching procedure than is normally used. The recommendation is to first soak in warm hydrochloric acid (very nasty stuff!) to bring out some color and then dunked in a mix of ferric chloride acid and vinegar for the texture. I'm not so sure that I couldn't have just used ferric chloride here and skipped the HCI but I did what I was supposed to and the results seem nice. It did require a re-edging and some fine sandpaper work post etch to make it look nice and restore the etched away edge. I chose to also buff the blade lightly to make for a slipperier surface.

Would I use Damasteel again? Mmmm....yes....but for more $$$
:wink: Yes I charged a lot for this job, actually this is the most expensive knife I've made, but this steel requires a lot of extra work and it's very expensive as well, so the cost of the product has to bear the expenses. It was fun to try out though.

To Bruce, thank you VERY much for the opportunity to work with this steel, the chance to do something different, and to show off what I'm capable of of doing on the high end. :doublethumbsup:

Now here's the knife, please let me know what you think.....

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010030.JPG

P1010031.JPG

P1010032.JPG

Three months ago I put the call out looking for a willing patron to fund a Damasteel project knife and Bruce answered the call. :thumbsup:

He asked for something a bit different then I normally do but that was OK as it fit (dimensional wise) the limited sizing that this steel can be found in flat stock form. He requested a "rocking santoku" patterned (exactly) from a Miyabi, just expanded in all dimensions. He opted to go with Damasteel's Rose pattern steel, specified the heel height, thickness, and length of the blade as well as asking for a green western handle.

I wanted to get the best quality nicest looking green wood I could find and I sure got lucky when I came across this stabilized block of maple. It was the costliest maple I've ever purchased but the results are nothing short of spectacular - best stuff I've ever had.

I paired the wood up with a stacked nickel silver bolster, something new to me. The handle is western style like I normally make yet I added a bit of different styling to it, just to jazz it up a bit.

As for the steel, this is a stainless powdered damascus, not your everyday stuff. The heat treat was taken to Rc62-63 with cryo. IMO, it ground pretty easy compared to CPM154 (also a powdered stainless) yet wasn't as easy to finish to a high shine as CPM154 is.

This steel requires a different etching procedure than is normally used. The recommendation is to first soak in warm hydrochloric acid (very nasty stuff!) to bring out some color and then dunked in a mix of ferric chloride acid and vinegar for the texture. I'm not so sure that I couldn't have just used ferric chloride here and skipped the HCI but I did what I was supposed to and the results seem nice. It did require a re-edging and some fine sandpaper work post etch to make it look nice and restore the etched away edge. I chose to also buff the blade lightly to make for a slipperier surface.

Would I use Damasteel again? Mmmm....yes....but for more $$$
:wink: Yes I charged a lot for this job, actually this is the most expensive knife I've made, but this steel requires a lot of extra work and it's very expensive as well, so the cost of the product has to bear the expenses. It was fun to try out though.

To Bruce, thank you VERY much for the opportunity to work with this steel, the chance to do something different, and to show off what I'm capable of of doing on the high end. :doublethumbsup:

Now here's the knife, please let me know what you think.....

Looks like someone has evolved

That is seriously cool Dave. I am sure you made this one just to keep pushing up the bar for the rest of us [emoji39]

God damn that’s nice. Remember how to do that nickel bolster for my knives.

:jawdrop:

Nice touch with the chamfered edges on the bevel, too.

I’m speechless. :bigeek:

Thanks Dave

:jawdrop:

Nice touch with the chamfered edges on the bevel, too.

Dave never ceases to amaze with his knives. That handle is breathtaking!!!

Dave, is this a new (less rounded) butt shape?

Thanks Manuel. And yes that's something a little different on the butt shape. It's a combo of what I used to do years ago with what I've been doing since then. It's always interesting to me how the little details change the overall look. Maybe you want this on your soon to be made knife? We should talk. ;)

Great looking knife Dave! The nickel looks great against the green. How was working with the damasteel compare with the 52100?

Thanks Bill. I can't yet talk about the 52100 and how it works.

Thanks Manuel. And yes that's something a little different on the butt shape. It's a combo of what I used to do years ago with what I've been doing since then. It's always interesting to me how the little details change the overall look. Maybe you want this on your soon to be made knife?
YES !!!

It's beautiful, great work. I already said it on your Instagram, but this is a nice change up from your classic western handle shape but it really suits the blade profile and damascus pattern! :doublethumbsup:

You should charge a bunch for Damasteel knives as it's beautiful but crazy expensive. I don't think there's any source of stainless damascus for forging or stock removal that's "affordable".

It's beautiful, great work. I already said it on your Instagram, but this is a nice change up from your classic western handle shape but it really suits the blade profile and damascus pattern! :doublethumbsup:

You should charge a bunch for Damasteel knives as it's beautiful but crazy expensive. I don't think there's any source of stainless damascus for forging or stock removal that's "affordable".

Thanks MB

Back