225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eamon has been working on the saya for it. It's done now, and he is shipping it, but I have not laid hands on it yet.....

I like this knife a lot. The fit and finish are very nice. The profile is spot on, and it cuts really well. It took to the suehira rika 5000 stone nicely, leaving a sharp edge with some bite...... starting the pass around now. It shipped to Pensacola today. Would the guys in this pass around please PM me your address. Thanks. Matt

Great to read that it's living up to your expectations. Am I in on this one? I can't remember if Canadians were ok'd or not....
Either way, it's still a freakin' beautiful knife!

Yes, you're in, although your last, I think. Just means you can keep it longer :doublethumbsup:

Yes!!!
That freakin' knife is freakin' haunting me (and I'm sure many others)! I really wish I jumped on it, so I'm glad I'll at least get a chance with it. :D

Here are some of my impressions after using this knife for several days. The day I got it, I used it to make chicken ponzu, as posted in this thread:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-good-Show-us!?p=128986&viewfull=1#post128986

Mike has done his homework with this knife - the grind is very good. It went through the celery, bell peppers and carrots as well as any knife I've used lately, including a Kochi, a Rodrigue and a Shigefusa. Here's a pic:

c558d534.jpg

The knife had formed a light patina when I got it, and I didn't note any reactivity issues with the W2 it is made from. I didn't feel I should alter the edge, so I just stropped it on a Gesshin 6k, which was sufficient.

In daily use the edge held up well. Of course, I wan't going through cases of vegetables, just doing normal home prep work. No noticeable wedging in potatoes, carrots or onions. I used it to split a watermelon, and other than the fact that it could have been a few inches longer, it did just fine.

I did get out in the sunlight to take some pics of the handle.

1073e066.jpg

717bb9da.jpg

To sum up my feelings, shared by a few others on this thread, this was the "one that got away". Nice work, Mike!

Thanks again to Bulldogbacchus for doing this passaround.

Rick,

You're not helping my "non-buyer's remorse". I REALLY wish I pulled the trigger on this one. Sheesh!

Your Friend,
Lefty

I was lucky enough to use the knife over the last week before sending it off yesterday. Initial impressions besides holy cr@p, that's a good looking knife, was that maybe the handle was a bit large for my tastes. Though after using it to cut up everything from potatoes to onions to basil, I can tell you I didn't even notice it. The knife arrived sharp, and with moderate use, I felt no need to touch it up before sending it on it's way. It was a sad day when I finally had to package it up and say goodbye. Great work on this one Mike, and you are a lucky SOB Bulldogbacchus! Thanks for the opportunity to play with your new toy, will definitely be something I'll be adding to my collection someday.

I received this beauty today in great condition. am looking forward to giving this a great :dance4:workout.

This one started life a year ago as a 240. I have been sitting on it for a while, and have since learned about better profiles. This one was pretty flat, so i reshaped it and decided to finish it up. It is 225 on the edge, 242 from the bolster/ferrule. It is pretty thin, sitting at 2.16 coming out of the handle. it stays at 2mm until half way to the tip then has a distal taper to a fine tip. Handle is some of Mark's special koa with golden ironwood ferrule and buttcap, hippo ivory and black spacers.

I had just bought a Mizuno Tanrenjo 270mm just before this showed up. I love the grind on the Mizuno, it is a new way for me to look at knives. When I received this knife it has a similar grind that I was very happy to see, very similar, and perfect for the blade. I have not needed to give it a sharpening with 2 weeks of use, in restaurant and home. Will take some pics just before I get it off tomorrow to Johnychai.

The workmanship on this knife is such beauty that one can just sit and look for hours. Had my boss comment on the handle and how the pattern moves in the light. Another person liked the ivory. Next time I let my boss use it to slice tomatoes he was checking out the "colors in the steel". The patina looks great when you get looking below the surface, which just took on a haze effect. I will try to get some pics of this (attempt is the more suitable word) before I send it off.

The saya that Bulldog got for the knife fits with everything else about the blade. From the handle it matches the colors in the Iron wood and the Koa. The fit on the blade is very nice, not to tight to mar the steel, but tight enough there is no need for the pin. From what I have seen of your work Mike 400$ was a steal for this knife. Bulldog Ty very much for allowing me to try this knife out, if I hadn't bought a Mizuno a few weeks before this knife would have been a new game changer for me.

Ill post pics later.

lol cclin this knife is already bought by Bulldogbacchus and is in a passaroud atm.

I'm last, and I fully plan on switching it out for a piece of tin with a branch jammed on the back and sharpee marker for a ferrule and butt cap....

I'm last, and I fully plan on switching it out for a piece of tin with a branch jammed on the back and sharpee marker for a ferrule and butt cap....

Hmmmm...... Something about sending a pass around to a guy that sells knives......

LOL!!!! Glad you guys are liking this knife, i had a hard time selling it...i originally made it for me...

LOL!!!! Glad you guys are liking this knife, i had a hard time selling it...i originally made it for me...
Looks like my knife with a different handle.
I use mine more than all my other knives combined.

Great news for me, the knife arrived (with a huge duty, but oh well...)...anyways. It is every bit as impressive off the bat as I had expected. The handle is incredible, and the grind looks right. I won't be able to give it a workout until Saturday, or more likely, Monday, because of work, but at least it's here and safe.

Matt, I'll be sure to package this knife up and get it right back to you. Did I mention how thin it is? Nice! Here are some pics of your knife, that you so lovingly let us try out. Thanks again!

A5F58116-6E08-4DF0-8BE0-3DB9A5869B53-7600-00000AE2072D14C4.jpg

619F780D-EC30-4EC7-8BF3-06FE064D9050-7600-00000AE22749A275.jpg

Yup, this one will get back to you right after I've had a good run with it. :D

That made me LOL Lefty, thanks...it's been a crap day at work.

I'll see what I can do about the huge burr, but it still cuts great, even with it. It must be how thin it is, behind the edge. I don't see this as being overly reactive, which is always a plus.

Zwiefel, what's so funny?...

lol thanks Lefty, long day, you just topped it off, reminds me of the time Niloc took a pic of somebody's knife with a steel wool 'burr'.

lol thanks Lefty, long day, you just topped it off, reminds me of the time Niloc took a pic of somebody's knife with a steel wool 'burr'.

I'm not gonna call anyone out on this since I don't want to start drama, but I will say that I pulled this off a professionally sharpened knife:

edge.jpg

Puts "wire edge" into perspective. Lulz.

I'm not gonna call anyone out on this since I don't want to start drama, but I will say that I pulled this off a professionally sharpened knife...Puts "wire edge" into perspective. Lulz.
What do you mean by "professional?" Nevermind. I probably don't want to know.

Back