225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Lefty, you forgot to polish out the hamon!! Awesome

Wow, you can really see those hammer marks. Excellent work Mike, I love a good tsuchime finish.

On a more serious note, I have a Davis proto that I've tuned a bit here and there. It's not nearly as nice as some of his more recent stuff but it works rather well and the steel is sound. I've found myself using it quite a bit, lately. :)

I knew this was a bad idea.:nunchucks: See, you really have to watch anyone named Lefty. I think Willie Nelson wrote a song about a Lefty one time.

Looks like I may have to make a trip up north...

LOL

On a more serious note, I have a Davis proto that I've tuned a bit here and there. It's not nearly as nice as some of his more recent stuff but it works rather well and the steel is sound. I've found myself using it quite a bit, lately. :)

TK,
Is this the one that was at the WCG?
If It's the one I'm thinking of that was a very nice knife.
So yea, lemme get that knife :)

I knew this was a bad idea.:nunchucks: See, you really have to watch anyone named Lefty. I think Willie Nelson wrote a song about a Lefty one time.

Looks like I may have to make a trip up north...

LOL
my dad's favorite song. "Poncho & Lefty", with Chris Christofferson.

I'm loving this knife! I'm like a kid with a new toy. Congrats on making such a great knife, Mike!

Nice patina taking, might I add:

2930C8A4-36BC-4076-9B98-60C196C453A4-10126-00000DFA2388A3DE.jpg

That's it. I fold. What is it we say around here??? Oh yeah -

PM SENT!

I'm not even kidding. This is my favourite gyuto I've used. Sorry everyone else. I'm more than impressed. There's just something about it!

I think it is slightly ground for a lefty, too, so that plays into it. Man I love W2.

You aren't making this any easier. Wait...you read that bulldog? This knife is made for lefties. Might as well sell it, I guess.

Ya I was sad to see this go too. It was a pleasure to have tried this out. Thanks again Bulldog.

I figure it's time for a little review, before it's too late.

My first impression of this knife was very, very positive! It's a knife that just felt right, right away. I honestly tried not to let me initial feelings dictate my overall "review"...I think I was pretty successful in doing so, too, so I feel safe giving you my thoughts.

Looks: I love the look of this knife. Both the handle and blade go together beautifully, and I don't think it's any coincidence that it perfectly matches my cutting board. :) The lines on the handle are clean and very nicely done, even though it is possible to tell that it was not machine made. By this I mean, it's not perfect, but it's not flawed either. I think Mike did a great job with the hamon. It's cloud-like, and just peeks through the solid patina that is on the blade.

Fit and Finish: This goes along with the last category, and overall, I'm really impressed. There is evidence of the knife being handmade (bevels on the handle, epoxy at the joint), but these are so virtually microscopic, they are non-factors. I fact, I like a properly handmade item better than anything else, and this one is exactly that - a skillfully handmade item.

The choil and spine are nicely eased/rounded and the rounding was done evenly. By this, I mean there are no waves evident when looking spine up, towards the tip. This it VERY IMPORTANT, and is a good way of determining the skill and care taken to make a knife. In other words, if this small feature cannot be carried out properly, you ca almost guarantee that the grind will be wavy as well. However, the opposite isn't always true, either.

Cutting Ability: This knife is a very, very good cutter and is just a hair below being a great cutter. It is in between laser and workhorse, and as a result, doesn't fall through items quite as effortlessly as say a Carter at 1.6mm thick. With this being said, it doesn't get stuck in the middle of cuts, and it does outperform all but 4 knives I've ever used (and I've used more than my fair share). HOWEVER, this knife cuts for you, with a slight draw and is one of those "fast chopping machines". While cutting, momentum gets built up and paperthin pieces just fly!

I like to use a French style of cutting, at times and this knife is unbelievably good while using this technique. I should add that it also chops and push cuts with the best of them.

The tip does what it is designed to, and that is fine tip work, without seeming delicate. In fact, the whole profile does this. There is not a single flat spot on the edge, and when done properly, like this one, that is a very good thing.

Steel: I can't accurately judge this, because quite honestly, the knife came to me beaten to all hell. It had a broken tip and about five chips along the edge. I sharpened them out, in no time, and haven't had enough time with my edge to be confident in giving it a grade here. I will say, it sharpens very nicely and takes a beautiful patina. I have had zero transference issues with foods like onions, apples and garlic, which are often trouble for carbon steel. It gives off that wonderful mild carbon steel smell while being washed, but that is all. I really like W2, based on this knife!

Overall Feeling: I fell very hard for this knife. Is it the absolute best cutter in the world? Likely not, but it is more than impressive. Is it flawless? No, but it is beautifully executed. Is it the prettiest knife I've ever seen? In the sense that it's beautiful, but I'm not afraid to beat on it and use it as a tool (which it is), it's up there.

There aren't too many knives out there that I would rather use than this one. It has an awesome, versatile profile, very nice steel (it seems), a gorgeous handle and most importantly, it feels right to me. I look forward to using it, and in fact, I suspect I will be using it for years to come. I jokingly told Matt he wasn't going to get his knife back, and lucky for me, he didn't outright tell me to "sod off". Sometimes you can't explain why you like/love something, but you just know you do. Well, this is one of those things.

Not that I wear a hat, but my hat's off to you on this one, Mike. It's a perfect example of how the sum of all parts can be greater than the sum of all scores...if that makes sense.

I hope Matt doesn't miss his gyuto too much...

Overall score: A

Score for me: I could use this and only this gyuto, along with a good parer and petty and be more than happy. What I guess I mean is that even a gyuto addict like me could stop here and be happy for quite some time. So, it gets an A+!

I just used it to make a quick dinner, and realized two things. Another part of this knife's appeal, for me, is the length; 225mm is the perfect in between size for me. It's kind of like a half shoe size that makes all the difference. The other thing is that I have only used three knives that are better "pure cutters", and none of them are gyutos.

I love this thing!

lol talk about putting yourself in a corner. Might want to quit posting lefty.

Lets put an end to all the fighting about which country it belongs too and send it here. I will keep it safe while you guys continue your 3 year mediation.

Seriously, I want it!

Muahahahahaha!

What I meant to write is that it...Ummmm...sucks...yeah, sucks(?).

I can't keep this facade up. I heart this knife!

I wouldn't mind letting him have it, if I just had something to replace it with....:cool2:

Dude, you already bought the suji and won a FREE BURKE! hahaha

Back