225 gyutos, who makes em?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So more and more I’m realizing that 225 may be my perfect sweet spot. I don’t work down in the kitchen as much as I’d like to at work anymore, much less time spent chopping away. That being said there’s more time spent at home cooking. 210’s just don’t jive with me for some reason, and 240 feels overkill at home. Anyways who all makes 225’s?

So more and more I’m realizing that 225 may be my perfect sweet spot. I don’t work down in the kitchen as much as I’d like to at work anymore, much less time spent chopping away. That being said there’s more time spent at home cooking. 210’s just don’t jive with me for some reason, and 240 feels overkill at home. Anyways who all makes 225’s?

225 is definitely a sweet spot for me. I've never jived with 210s, they feel a tad short, my 270 only comes out infrequently. I do have a handful of 240s which I dig and use often, but 225 is where it's at for how I cook—nimble with enough blade for nearly anything. Here're my 225s: Tsourkan Workhorse, 52100; Kippington, lefty grind, 52100; Raquin, 145sc, iron clad; KeMaDi, bulat, wrought clad.

IMAGE 2020-06-02 13:23:35.jpg

Some good ones already mentioned. Wat recently offered a small batch of 225s
HSC III will make any size you want. I think Tony LaSeur will, too. A few years ago Shihan was open to it.
I have a Takeda “210” that is 223.
Catcheside sometimes makes 225-230.
Y Tanaka “240” is around 230, like a number of Sakai knives, including some Konosuke.
Del Ealy

I guess you could say I like this size, too!

Some good ones already mentioned. Wat recently offered a small batch of 225s
HSC III will make any size you want. I think Tony LaSeur will, too. A few years ago Shihan was open to it.
I have a Takeda “210” that is 223.
Catcheside sometimes makes 225-230.
Y Tanaka “240” is around 230, like a number of Sakai knives, including some Konosuke.
Del Ealy

I guess you could say I like this size, too!
Watanabe will do a 225 upon request, I got an estimate from him a while ago. Haven’t pulled the trigger, but still high on list of ‘need.’ IMO Watanabe one of the best cutters.

I have a "210" Heiji that actually measures 223mm. Great size for a gyuto. You can ask for a long one - he is pretty accommodating

They are not so much undersized, they just measure handle to tip, so their 240 are really 220-230mm edge. older konosuke hd2 or ginga or Yoshikazu Tanaka and a bunch of others. Some others, from other areas can be oversized heiji 210 is often 220, there are others.

doesn't this mess with HT at the tip? not to mention any distal taper too

ht not really. it goes too fast to heat up any bulk material. and then i'm grinding off like 5mm extra cold. so no i'd say no pretty much.
i already flattened the blade so the taper is good from before. and its a high bevel blade to begin with. its much better now. santokified.

i have Takada Gyuto the one that is forged by Nakagawa from Shiraki Hamono. the spine is thick for Sakai stuff, a bit low on the heel, but it performs very nice despite low on the heel (maybe the weight helps).
NI8l95y.jpg

cRNkTrf.jpg
Nice! Low heel height is one of the things that attracted me to it, since most of my gyutos are on the taller side.

Back