225mm stainless damascus gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Nidle

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Nice knife that really I'm only selling because of a mix-up in my Damascus order from VegasForge. I ordered fireball and got raindrop. Anyway, specs:
  • 225mm length
  • 49mm height
  • 230grams
  • VegasForge Damascus, stainless (AEB-L and 302, same as used by Devin Thomas in his stainless damascus)
  • Workhorse grind
  • Spine thickness - 3.2mm above the heel, 2.3mm midway, 1mm at 1cm from the tip.
  • Handle - Ebony, 2 nickel silver spacers sandwiching more ebony, artificial ivory
  • HRC - Around 60-61. I don't have a tester, but the pieces I've sent out for testing have all come back between 60-61HRC. This hasn't been tested but has been heat treated the same way.
Feel free to shoot any questions my way! Looking for $725 + shipping (ships from UK).

I guess some people might be cautious of buying from a new maker, so you get 2 weeks to try it out at home. If you don't like it, I'll take it back, full refund including shipping. I've been using it at home to see how it performs and the edge holding is good, even though it's a fairly chunky workhorse grind there's no wedging or other issues with cutting.

I'd also be open to offering a trial to an established member who would be willing to post their thoughts on it.

raindrop1.JPG
raindrop2.JPG
raindrop4.JPG
raindrop5.JPG
raindrop6.JPG

Last edited:
Curious, is there anything in particular that's putting people off this?

EDIT: Had some feedback via PM and have updated the first post with some extra info.

Last edited:
It is a beautiful knife with a great looking profile, but....that is a lot of money for a "unknown commodity". In a way it is too nice a knife to start out with. I have a limit of around 400 for a knife from a maker whose reputation has not been established and with your material costs I am sure that is way to low;). I would recommend loaning out a knife to someone on the forum (maybe a chef) who could appraise it and post a review.
The length is not helping either, I love the 225 length but am in the minority here.

Thanks for your thoughts Bill. This wasn't really a knife that I had intended to sell, it was supposed to be for myself only I was sent the wrong pattern by mistake, so I get the idea that really it's too nice to start out with. I hadn't really meant for it to be the first knife I offered for sale here!

I'm with you on 225 length, it's all I need at home. The one I'm working on now (with the correct pattern for sure) is also a 225.

Knife looks great! - we need to have some knives and stuff to chop next time we meet up! (john @massey btw :) )

So I think it is an amazing knife. It just becomes too pretty to ever use. So that's kinda why it is off putting for me.
Thanks man. I've been using it at home for a while and it's nice. I guess that's a common thing with damascus, it doesn't really being anything extra to the table in terms of performance, it just looks pretty.

Not to mention us knife nuts know just about exactly the work and process it takes to make those. So that just adds to the reverence paid to the person that made it even though their intent is for us to cut stuff with it and pass it on to our children grandchildren etc.

bump for a good looking blade. If she isn't a Wedger, you did your homework. Personally I like a little heft like this in a Gyuto. Reminds me a bit of the older Watanabes.
The problem for the sale is that you have too much invested in the billet. Simple as that.
Make another one with a simpler steel, hell, even 1095 as a monosteel, and you will be good to go. Then you only have your time to recoup in $$.
Damn fine handle as well. Very tasteful accents.
Cheers and good luck.

Curious what counts as artificial ivory? Plastic or some synthetic resin like bakelite?

Nice knife that really I'm only selling because of a mix-up in my Damascus order from VegasForge. I ordered fireball and got raindrop. Anyway, specs:
  • 225mm length
  • 49mm height
  • 230grams
  • VegasForge Damascus, stainless (AEB-L and 302, same as used by Devin Thomas in his stainless damascus)
  • Workhorse grind
  • Spine thickness - 3.2mm above the heel, 2.3mm midway, 1mm at 1cm from the tip.
  • Handle - Ebony, 2 nickel silver spacers sandwiching more ebony, artificial ivory
  • HRC - Around 60-61. I don't have a tester, but the pieces I've sent out for testing have all come back between 60-61HRC. This hasn't been tested but has been heat treated the same way.
Feel free to shoot any questions my way! Looking for $725 + shipping (ships from UK).

I guess some people might be cautious of buying from a new maker, so you get 2 weeks to try it out at home. If you don't like it, I'll take it back, full refund including shipping. I've been using it at home to see how it performs and the edge holding is good, even though it's a fairly chunky workhorse grind there's no wedging or other issues with cutting.

I'd also be open to offering a trial to an established member who would be willing to post their thoughts on it.

View attachment 59396
View attachment 59397
View attachment 59398
View attachment 59399
View attachment 59400
This is very beautiful!

Should add, the OP is too old to edit but the knife has been withdrawn from sale, I've decided to keep it.

Back