• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

232mm Carter Muteki Funi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Up for your consideration is a 232mm Carter Muteki funi, stainless jacketed with white 1 core (if I recall correctly) and ironwood handle. I do not have a proper measure but with a tape it comes out to about 2 1/4 inches at the heel. I'd guess the spine at close to 3mm.
When I bought this knife a little over a year back, it arrived with a less than optimal grind. Wedge monster wouldn't be an inconsiderate label. Spent many hours re-grinding it by hand, and cuts pretty damn well now if I do say so. Panda took it for a spin when we were hanging out last summer and gave it good marks. I'm not one for aesthetics regarding finish and as such I never bothered to remove the deeper scratches. But if you've ever owned a Carter(Muteki or otherwise), you probably know that finish isn't necessarily his strong suit in most respects so I'd say this goes in line with his overall approach. It's pretty thin BTE now, and the tip is deadly. Nice flat profile. Spine could use a little easing.
I have a couple customs coming in from Marko next week, and as I'm a shameless Toyama whore at this point, something has to be set free. Original retail was 385, asking 300 shipped CONUS for quick sale, outside of 'Merica you'll have to cover shipping. Not looking for trades.
Comes with original box, custom cardboard/ gorilla tape saya, and a sense of accomplishment.

PICS!

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491591927.445154.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491591979.889605.jpg

The tip

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592165.748016.jpg

Couple choil shots

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592210.430636.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592242.754512.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592454.461098.jpg

Love marks

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592477.072326.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592510.873369.jpg

Spine

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491592555.544706.jpg

I didn't want to chime in until after the sale. I bought #9 172 Muteki when they first came out. Very undervalued knife. Its a little scrappy workhorse and by far my most used knife, cause you don't have to baby it in any way. Now it needed maybe five or six thinning sessions before it started to shine, in fact, I've sanded all the KU off mine. I've moved the cladding about two mm higher than Craig's knife.

The White steel is super tough, the other day I smashed the edge against a porcelain plate, the edge just deformed, no chipping. Its a good one.

Good to hear Mucho. I plan on beating the hell out of this... ^_^

Back