SOLD 245mm AEB-L+Scorched Oak Gyuto (Reduced to $110-18/07/22)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
This knife has a two part handle consisting of scorched oak and ebony. The method of construction is a burned in dowel fit, and oiling+ waxing. The end has been sealed with CA glue, and the tang is epoxied into the handle.
  • Blade: 245mmx57mm AEB-L (63hrc) 600 grit hand finish
  • Neck: 19mmx21mm
  • Handle: 137mm, tapering from 23.5mmx22.0 to 21.6mmx18.7mm, scorched oak+ ebony, oiled and waxed
  • POB: 60mm from handle
  • Spine: 2.30mm at the neck, 1.70mm at 13cm, 1.05mm 1cm from the tip
  • Grind: flat to convex
  • Weight: 172 grams
  • Relieved choil and spine
  • Edge: .1mm to near zero at halfway continuing to the tip
Asking $190 $110 U.S, + shipping-insurance optional.

18/07/22-Looking this knife over I've found a few flaws which were not especially apparent to me at the time I finished it. The surface finish is inconsistent on the right hand face of the blade, and there are some very fine scratches from what I assume was the 8k stone on the same side from a slip which are very difficult to see in incandescent light. On top of that I've discovered a minor amount of overgrind just an inch forward from the heel, it all but disappears when you set the edge on a board, but it's still faintly visible, aaaand the damn blade points out about 5mm to the right at the tip.

How I let all of this go unnoticed when I made the knife several months ago....? I'm not sure. Crappy lighting and fatigue at the time, lack of control on the stones, perhaps some shifting during glue up. Whatever the case, I could tear it down and refinish the whole thing, but it will still make a good working knife as it is. The grind is somewhat banal compared to the ones I've been using these past 2-3 months or so, and there's almost no bias to the blade, it has a good 8-8.5cm of flat towards the heel and it's more of a workhorse grind than a laser.

This wouldn't make a bad beater, or practice knife for sharpening, not a pageant queen by any means, but the steel and HT are solid, and the handle-in spite of it's misalignment with the blade is fit well.
20220322_144621.jpg

20220322_144608.jpg

20220322_151519.jpg

20220322_144637.jpg

Last edited:
Back