250mm as favorite length?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
I've seen people debate 225mm over 240mm as their favorite gyuto/chef's knife length (225 is indeed a very comfortable length), but does anyone consciously favor 250mm over 240mm? Curious to hear from 250 fans.

I used 10" german steel for years in the industry. Great for processing large amounts of product (essential, really). As I've stepped down and mostly cook at home now, I've grown more fond of more compact blades. That's not to say my 360mm Misono Dragon isn't used at least once a week, but for the most part I've been favoring a 210 denka or one of a few 240's.

For pro's, in my opinion, hell yeah! Especially when prepping in a high volume place. At home, depends on the user and space available.

I used 10" german steel for years in the industry. Great for processing large amounts of product (essential, really). As I've stepped down and mostly cook at home now, I've grown more fond of more compact blades. That's not to say my 360mm Misono Dragon isn't used at least once a week, but for the most part I've been favoring a 210 denka or one of a few 240's.

Where and for what did you use the 360mm [gyuto?]?

Like others above, I like 250 for making lots of big stuff into small stuff. At home I'm preferring 225 and even have a couple 210's that I like.

At work right now 90% of the knife work I do is dicing red potatoes. About 100 pounds per week. 240 is actually perfect for that job because I do tip draws. 270 would be a little long and I would have to have my elbow up more, less comfortable.

At home my drawer rotates depending on my mood. Right now I have a 250 Shi.han, 250 Old Hickory, and a 300 Clyde.

PXL_20210928_224027791.jpg

Wow, I’ve found 240 with some heft more than enough for watermelons and papayas, but maybe I need to try a 360.

just as a thought exercise, has anyone here consciously gone for a 250 over a 240 of the same knife for non-pro use if they had a choice? I didn’t think this is typical. A few European makers like Kamon say 250 is their preferred knife but I thought this is a minority and home users would almost always get a 240 (unless they know they want 225 or shorter) for their main knives.

Wow, I’ve found 240 with some heft more than enough for watermelons and papayas, but maybe I need to try a 360.

just as a thought exercise, has anyone here consciously gone for a 250 over a 240 of the same knife for non-pro use if they had a choice? I didn’t think this is typical. A few European makers like Kamon say 250 is their preferred knife but I thought this is a minority and home users would almost always get a 240 (unless they know they want 225 or shorter) for their main knives.

I've chosen a 270 over a 240 as a home user more times than I'd like to admit.

@IsoJ got me on this train but I eventually told myself I can enjoy 270s but it can be a lot of knife. But one of my favorite knives is a 260 sambar horn Itou R2 so go figure.
It's not the size but how you use it 😊. I do prefer 250 over 240 if there is to choose from the same knife or maker. Only thing that limits for me is the cutting space or board and not the amount of products I am cutting.

I'm a 240 kinda guy but I'm sure Id enjoy a 250 just as much if I had one. 270s are nice for bulk prep but which I don't do much currently. Ive really been itching for a 180 mm for the line and light home use. 210 is kinda meh to me. Also dont think Ive tried a 225 which a lot of users seem to like so kinda curious how that feels.

Last edited:
Getting used to another goes very fast if you're prepared to adapt your grip. Son @sachem allison asked my to clean up a Trompette from the 1890's and I asked him if I could use it in my home kitchen for a few days before deciding what to do. It was a 290mm, originally probably 300mm, and I never had used any longer than 240. It took me very little time to get used to it. Only afterwards I noticed that my claw grip had gone forward with some 2"..
Since, I love large ones as well. So I use chef's between 180 and 270. With short ones, the available width is far more important than the length. I prefer a wide 180 over a narrow 210.

Getting used to another goes very fast if you're prepared to adapt your grip. Son @sachem allison asked my to clean up a Trompette from the 1890's and I asked him if I could use it in my home kitchen for a few days before deciding what to do. It was a 290mm, originally probably 300mm, and I never had used any longer than 240. It took me very little time to get used to it. Only afterwards I noticed that my claw grip had gone forward with some 2"..
Since, I love large ones as well. So I use chef's between 180 and 270. With short ones, the available width is far more important than the length. I prefer a wide 180 over a narrow 210.

I agree. Changing up my grip depending on the knife seems relatively intuitive, to me. I mean, I have my preferences but they more or less depend on the task at hand, rather than a general comfortability.

Back