• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD 270 mm Heiji Swedish Carbon Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myguidingmoonlight

Reaction score
A very tall and heavy Heiji gyuto for sale. You don't often see Heiji's in this size and height.

Specs: 264 mm x 57 mm
Spine: 4.9 mm (@handle), 4 mm (@heel), 3 mm (mid), 1.1 mm (10 mm from tip)
Weight: 298 g

Bought from Heiji for ¥56,510 ($404), selling for $275 [CONUS] through Paypal's G&S. $15 shipping covered in asking price.

Sweet steel, takes an aggressive edge quickly. The length and mass makes it an awesome prep knife. Good food release but has wedging issues.

This one has a lot of grind issues that I ran out of patience (and sanity) dealing with, hence selling it this price. I covered thinning scratches with a rough sanding, many low spots still present. This is a hell of a project knife, expect many low spots and rough F&F.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is a small chip at the heel and previous history of warping. Before an entire section of the edge couldn't touch the stone, sent to a shop to correct it, edge now touch the stone in its entirety but many low spots and high spot present.

20230603_212827.jpg

20230603_212903.jpg

Attachments

• 20230603_212841.jpg
    20230603_212841.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
wow, very rare to see a Heiji anywhere near this height. sounds like a project with tons of potential.

I planned to own this Heiji for longer than this. Super cool knife at this size, however, I learned quickly that may be Heiji doesn't make his knives at this height for a reason. I cry every time I take this one to the stones 😅

I planned to own this Heiji for longer than this. Super cool knife at this size, however, I learned quickly that may be Heiji doesn't make his knives at this height for a reason. I cry every time I take this one to the stones 😅
well, on the bright side: there is enough metal there that you can do a full regrind and still be left with a workhorse.

given the size, I’d probably send it to someone with a horizontal wheel. should be well worth the sale price here + pro service fees

Obligatory thank you dark souls.
Do the low spots affect the performance of the knife or is it more aesthetic?
Performance is worse than a Gesshin Heiji that I used to own, which had very clean bevels and eased shoulders. Neither are lasers or really nimble, both felt very workhorsey. Definitely in the "carrot exploder" range with this one.

Low spots affect thinning considerably and to an extent sharpening, so I'd expect quite some work for it to cut better than right now.

Edit: I've added a more detailed description of the problems this knife has in the top post.

Last edited:
Back