2k ish synth for polish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KO88

Reaction score
Hi, I know that there was review thread about synth mid stones but cant find it...

Im looking for stone for polish after 1200 King (or 1k Chosera) because the jump from 1k to 3k chosera doesnt work for me and also 3k Chosera is not that great polisher at general (at least under my hands). 3k chosera is very nice razor stone though...

I ve only all carbon knives.
After this stone I want to go straight to naturals (like Natsuya or Ueno) so 2k seems like spot on...
Im situated in EU

TY

If you plan to use a full natural progression there isn't much point in going to 3k, then back down to coarser nakato like natsuya/ueno.

The chosera 3k usually polishes pretty well - it develops a good amount of mud which makes it pretty easy to get an even polish off it.

If you want to use nakato/ueno you should be able to go straight to those from your 1k

If you plan to use a full natural progression there isn't much point in going to 3k, then back down to coarser nakato like natsuya/ueno.

The chosera 3k usually polishes pretty well - it develops a good amount of mud which makes it pretty easy to get an even polish off it.

If you want to use nakato/ueno you should be able to go straight to those from your 1k
I didn't want to take off many scratches so some 2k stone might still make sense...

the naniwa pro 2k is very good. best medium grit kasumi stone i've tried. no silver scratches.
very good finisher too, for the edge.
i got mine from fine-tools in germany.
OK. Sounds promising. Silver scratches is what the Chosera 3k do as I said at least under my hands...

Was thinking about synth red aoto from JNS - it might work after 1k stone...

Also what about Imanishi 2000? Does anyone use it?

Would be great to use Jons Synth natural from JKI but it doesnt make much sence sending it to EU...

I like my JNS synthetic red Aoto in my polishing progression after a 1k stone.

Yes.

If you plan on going up then coming down, which works really nice when you want a very clean starting point post coarse synthetics, then the streaking from the 3k becomes insignificant. The goal is to remove 1k scratches, which the 3k does well so you have a blank slate, so to speak, for your natural progression.

I get lots of streaking from the 3k if I’m just using it to prep a polish, but it’s not absolutely necessary as most natsuya will reintroduce scratches/texture/contrast to be cleaned up later.

I second the Chosera 2K, not a fan of the Cho 3K either, it does brighten up the core more than the 2K, tho.

with the caveat that I actually do cho 1k cho > 3k > mid grit natural, I also have had pretty good luck with the shapton 2k.

it's dirt cheap too, at least in comparisons to the choseras.

Latest posts

Back