2nd knife...Petty to go with my R2 210 Koutetsu (mid budget)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourmations

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at a petty for fathers day (EU)
Im looking at 150€ max posted

the only proper knife i have is a Shibata Koutetsu R2 210 Gyuto
(which is amazing but it was always going to be compared to my damned Globals)

I was going to go for the Shiro Kamo 135mm AS stainless clad to try my first carbon knife but am open to suggestion
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/allknivar/petty_aogami-super-detail
The only thing here is that (as i suspected) i been leave known to leave the shibata dirty on the board while messing about with other things in the kitchen,
so while i want to try a carbon knife it may be more practical going stainless again,
Has anyone tried the Kazoko knives from MeesterSlijpers, an SLD petty for cheap, although the pattern is bugging me a bit
https://www.meesterslijpers.nl/en/kazoku-kaji-petty-13-5-cm

the problem researching pettys is that they seem more personal than others, I did a silly amount of research on the shibata gyuto but that was an easier decision as
it gets so much love and comes highly recommended, that was a big purchase and was a 50th present, it seems a lot of you guys have loads of pettys
but i dont have the funds to buy a loads of models and see what i like, there seems to be little or no resale on that sort of knife at that budget, they are never on BST

Im open to suggestions if anyone has advice or wants to name a few knives worth looking at

Many thanks

HI
If the intended use is for home, I recommend purchasing the one with AS stainless clad. For starting a professional career, I still recommend the one made with SLD material. Of course, they are all excellent knives and good choices.

Hi all

Looking at a petty for fathers day (EU)
Im looking at 150€ max posted

the only proper knife i have is a Shibata Koutetsu R2 210 Gyuto
(which is amazing but it was always going to be compared to my damned Globals)

I was going to go for the Shiro Kamo 135mm AS stainless clad to try my first carbon knife but am open to suggestion
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/allknivar/petty_aogami-super-detail
The only thing here is that (as i suspected) i been leave known to leave the shibata dirty on the board while messing about with other things in the kitchen,
so while i want to try a carbon knife it may be more practical going stainless again,
Has anyone tried the Kazoko knives from MeesterSlijpers, an SLD petty for cheap, although the pattern is bugging me a bit
https://www.meesterslijpers.nl/en/kazoku-kaji-petty-13-5-cm

the problem researching pettys is that they seem more personal than others, I did a silly amount of research on the shibata gyuto but that was an easier decision as
it gets so much love and comes highly recommended, that was a big purchase and was a 50th present, it seems a lot of you guys have loads of pettys
but i dont have the funds to buy a loads of models and see what i like, there seems to be little or no resale on that sort of knife at that budget, they are never on BST

Im open to suggestions if anyone has advice or wants to name a few knives worth looking at

Many thanks
If you don’t want to experiment too much with different knives, this is a reliable safe choice for a petty: https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knife...2/allkniv2015-04-21-15-11-23-1966-1967-detail

cheers, heard great things about them but really dont like the handle unfortunately
Fair enough. I sold mine largely because of the red handle. 😂 Are you looking specifically for a wa handle, not western handle?

Fair enough. I sold mine largely because of the red handle. 😂 Are you looking specifically for a wa handle, not western handle?
Hi

yeah, i much prefer wa handles, all part of the package for me, love the look and feel good to me in hand, all part of the package for me,

cheers

It helps to figure out what you want to use it for, whether you want more or less blade height, carbon or stainless.
Personally I always found anything sub 150 awkward at best and prefer even longer (unless its a sub 100 paring knife).

I've always gravitated towards 180 ginga but admittedly I'm not the biggest petty user in the first place.

Hitohira is the name of a Japanese store that they're linked to so it's essentially their 'house brand'. So in that sense it's hard to make general statements because the lineup has knives from all kinds of different makers in different styles and pricepoints.

Kazoku knives from meesterslijpers are similar; it's their housebrand lineup that has a lot of variety in it.

Also, at some point it's not so much about whether a knife or brand is good or bad, bit about whether their product happens to coincide with your preferences.

Hitohira is the name of a Japanese store that they're linked to so it's essentially their 'house brand'. So in that sense it's hard to make general statements because the lineup has knives from all kinds of different makers in different styles and pricepoints.

Kazoku knives from meesterslijpers are similar; it's their housebrand lineup that has a lot of variety in it.

Also, at some point it's not so much about whether a knife or brand is good or bad, bit about whether their product happens to coincide with your preferences.

thanks, i just realised that when looking further into it,

I understand what you say about preferences but i have no opportunity to see any J knives in person in ireland
so i have to make decisions based on what i think will work for me and what i like to look of and what others recommend,
Also there is always the feeling that "its not the materials its the smith that makes the knife good or bad"
so thats why i'm always thinking about brands

cheers

If you like thin knives like the Shibata Koutetsu, you could get a thin petty from Takamura.
Highly regarded and all within budget (from Cleancut sweden, in VG10 or SG2 steel).

The bigger question with pettys is always what you use them for and if you like them at all. (I don´t and rather have a 180mm gyuto plus pairing knife instead).
The use case kinda dictates if you want a wider or more narrow blade, which length etc.
If you don´t use the petty for lots of board work the steel isn´t really that important. (imho and other than being stainless for example)

If you want to try a Tojiro DP petty (120-130mm I believe), you could have mine for very cheap.

Yea... Even on this forum you see a pretty large spread of what people like in a petty (or whether they even care for them at all).
For meat trimming less height and more length is better. Same tends to work well for stuff like citrus supremes...and the tendency of petties to get pushed into citrus and fruit roles is for me a reason to gravitate towards stainless petties.

But you'll find plenty of people here preferring tall carbon petties. Of course those people are wrong, but it's still their preference... ;)

Back