• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 2x <$200 210 Wa gyuto/kiritsuke/bunka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sododgy

Reaction score
So I picked up a 240mm Shibata AS gyuto to be ready for a prep heavy catering season, and then covid hit. Fortunately the chef/owner transitioned and is maintaining the guests who could hold their schedule, but also opened a deli/butcher shop where I now work. I adore the Shibata, but it isn't the knife for this job. I'm looking for a 210 to fill in here. I love the way the laser cuts, but should round out my roll with a midweight or WH (especially because it's left out and others grab it). That said, I'm not at all opposed to another laser if it fits...I should probably get a stainless to worry even less when others grab it, but I'll care for it at the end of every day if I need to, (and i prefer carbon) so whatever. I almost always push/pull, but will rock when it fits for herbs and such. For me, the flatter profile the better, but I can handle some belly if I need to (I came up in US kitchens with rentals).

My birthday is today (hooray me!), but my partner's is a week and half away, and that's the main focus. I'd much rather spend more on them than myself. They have one custom that I'm getting restored, but don't really own any other nice knives, and my Shibata was their intro to j-knives. They love my Shibata, but are scared to touch it no matter how much I tell them they won't destroy it. Also, they've been cooking professionally longer than me and have solid technique (with a heavy rock preference, but slowly switching to push/pull after watching me).

So here we are. I'd like to ideally stay under $200 per knife, but I'm also a grown child with zero impulse control. If you've got something to catch my eye, I'm about it. I was trying to look at <$150 knives when I got the Shibata if that tells you anything about how serious the price cap is...Definite bonus points if we can get both knives from one source (way bummed I was late on the @SolidSnake03 post...), but not requiring one source.

I'd really love to break into White for myself, but am open to any carbon or powdered steel. I'd like to get my parter a nice carbon j-knife, but they have no real steel preference. I could rattle off makers I'd like to try but I'm pretty open.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd happily say goodbye to a Wa Takayuki VG-10 Kengata Gyuto 200mm that I never get much time to use anyhow until I feel guilty about it and bring it out. With a good edge it's a good knife, and I didn't see much difficulty getting a burr, and removing it. With thinning behind the edge it would be infinitely better. I didn't get around to that yet, and sharpened only once, plus one refresh, so still time to take it out my hands before I decide I need a project and end up messing up the finish. :p

what did you end up getting them?

My fault, I totally forgot to update!

I had some great, and super helpful offers from people (thanks again!), but I drug my feet and panicked. Wound up going new.

I got a Hammered Kurouchi Wakui from K&S, and a Kasumi Mazaki from a spot out west without a web store.

My Partner chose the Wakui, which is a decision I'm pretty stoked on

Last edited:
Back