3D Printed Sink Bridge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcc

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Since I'm fairly new to quality kitchen knives and acquiring a chinese cleaver (and probably adding some more knives in the future) I decided to invest in sharpening equipment/accessories.

With the recommendation of this great forum I purchased a King KDS 1000/6000 stone. But couldn't decide whether to get a holder for the stone and a sink bridge or one or the other. The Naniwa and Suehiro were the two sink bridges I was considering. Yet the price of the item and possible shipping was a little to pricey. So I thought why not make one (I have a 3d printer)...and I did :)

I designed it after the Sha-Pu sink bridge. Everything was 3d printed, even the screws, washers, and wing nuts (since no hardware stores were open at the time).
The 3d print bed is small so I had to print an extension piece to make it the required length. One piece as you can see is two colours..lol..the print was almost finished but I had run out of silver filament. So I subbed in white :) The bridge works quite well with a rubber shelf liner to hold the stone in place.

All in all I found this pretty satisfying to make.

Now I'm thinking of printing a storage container for the stone :)

IMG_20200508_225207.jpgIMG_20200508_225228.jpgIMG_20200508_225250.jpgIMG_20200508_225318.jpgIMG_20200508_225331.jpgIMG_20200508_225410.jpgIMG_20200509_000735.jpgIMG_20200509_000836.jpg

Well that’s freaking awesome. I almost want to go out and buy a printer now!

Are you able to share that file (if you don’t mind)? Wonder how much those online printing services would charge to print one.

I always wondered how strong these printers were, Now I’ve got all these other things I’d want to print... organizers for draws and closers.

what 3D printer do you use? And what’s the cost of printing one of these? Was it hard to learn the software to design this?

Great work!
Good questions from muru, would like to know the answers too.
How strong this thing is?

They say necessity is the mother of invention... great work...far above my skill set...

Take care

Jeff

Reactions: tcc
Very nice, I may have to try this. I have considered making one out of wood or aluminum.

Reactions: tcc
Thanks everyonne :)

Are you able to share that file (if you don’t mind)? Wonder how much those online printing services would charge to print one.
It's on an SD card in my printer, so I'll try and upload it here when I can ;)
I always wondered how strong these printers were, Now I’ve got all these other things I’d want to print... organizers for draws and closers.
For the actual part it all depends on how much you infill it. I think I had it like 45% cuz I wanted it to be rock solid. In terms of a "strong" printer it's all in the setup and your imagination :)
what 3D printer do you use? And what’s the cost of printing one of these? Was it hard to learn the software to design this?
I have the Creality Ender 3. I think I got it for like $300CAD. Not sure how much it cost to print. I just print and have fun :) Although it did take almost 2 days to print the whole project o_O I used an online program called Tinkercad. It's fairly easy to learn and pretty basic.

How strong this thing is?
The only weak point there might be is in the connection between the extension and the main part. That's why I added those two pieces in the middle of the board so that it would line up properly and add some strength. I also used super glue to bond them together.

But to be honest I think it's pretty strong. When it's stacked when in normal use it's pretty rigid.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not getting replying sooner. Been working crazy hours because of this pandemic *ugh*

Anyways, unfortunately I cannot upload the files of the sink bridge :(. When I was transferring the files over to my laptop from the SD card my dog jumped on me and disconnected the USB cable and corrupted the whole card. So I lost everything (even stuff I had saved from Thingiverse). But then on Tinkercad where I designed it I thought I had a backup but for some strange reason it did not save my whole design, it only has partials and not completed parts :mad: Basically if I want to make this again I would have to start from scratch. Not a good weekend 🤬😭

It's not that hard to make, it just takes a few minutes once you get used to Tinkercad or some other software you use.

Decide on the length of the bridge which is determined by your particular sink. Then the width to hold whatever size stones you have. And then the channels that hold the two pieces together have to be made according to the size of the bolt head and/or washer.

Fun! Here's my take on it :) View attachment 81265

A32101FD-CB95-4183-B0AF-7D014E245799.jpeg

But really though...ever considered producing and selling these? I’m looking for a more solid setup that will last instead of wood scraps screwed together, and if I can support a person’s time and efforts, I’d rather they have my dollars instead of a company.

ps if there was already a thread on this, sorry I missed it.:)

Those all look amazing.. anyone looking for an inexpensive option, a 2x4 and shelf liner works amazingly. I have scope tape wrapped around the ends to help with slippage. The towel hanging over the sides is the key to getting the excess water to run down the sides and not off the ends (before one drill holes and weakens the setup ;)).

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_165343.jpg
    IMG_20200603_165343.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back