D. Martell 4 Martell Wa Petties For Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have available 4 Martell wa petties for sale, 2 of them are complete, the other 2 are 50%. :wink:

Stats:

Model - Petty

Blade Length - 160mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless steel)

Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)

Height (at heel) - 32-33mm

Handle - Wa (see each knife for specifics)

#1 - Dyed (light blue) bird's eye maple with African blackwood ferrule
Shape - round top & bottom w/flat sides
This bird's eye maple is from Herr Keller's stash. It's really nice, very iridescent, lots of eyes, with chatoyance.

Dimensions - 15/19mm x 18/23mm

#2 - English sycamore with African blackwood ferrule
Shape - Octagonal (very straight, sort of a boxey style)
The sycamore has a lot of movement in the figuring, simple, very classy looking.

Dimensions - 15/20mm x 17/21mm

#3 - Dyed (brown) maple burl with African blackwood ferrule
Shape - Octagonal (tapered - yet slightly boxey)
The maple has a lot burl character, I think it's a nice example.

Dimensions - 15/18mm x 17/22mm

#4 - Dyed (green) buckeye burl with African blackwood ferrule
Shape - Octagonal (tapered - very traditional look/feel)
I almost NEVER use buckeye burl anymore because it sucks for use on western handles but I thought I'd give it a go (I had this block sitting here for years) and see if I was correct in that softer woods can work OK with the octagonals and it turned out it does.
The buckeye is a nice green that's neither gaudy or loud yet it's bold enough to be different. :)

Dimensions - 16/19mm x 20/23mm

So why all the different shapes?

Well, these knives didn't start out as knives, they were handle experiments that would become knives if all went well. I wanted to try some different working techniques and finish shapes so I glued up them up and had success (in all but one - 1 out of 5 isn't a bad loss when learning). I decided to leave them as I did them and offer something a little different. What do you think?

On the two handles without blades...obviously the brown maple burl and green buckeye burl have no blades currently, however, the blades have been profiled and are ready to grind. If all goes as planned, and sometimes it does, I'll have these both ready for delivery by the beginning of next week (at the latest). I will sell them now if anyone is interested in claiming them. :)

On the pictures....please excuse the very poor quality. It's overcast today and this is the best I can get for now. I can assure you that all knives/handles shown appear much nicer in person. The handles in particular look so much better than shown here.

Price - $325 (each)
*Note - I will not drop the pricing on these knives. I have already discounted them by $50 OFF

Shipping - Included in USA/International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dave

P1010010.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010029.JPG

Fantastic Dave. Love the blue handle.

I like the blue one a lot myself (for the wood/look/form) but my favorite is the green (for the shape/feel).

I found it interesting how the slightest changes (a mm here or there / rounding) really changed the look/feel quite a bit. I mean the handles are all almost the same size but yet so different. This isn't something that I've seen in westerns, where such small changes make a difference.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

SOLD - #1 - Dyed (light blue) bird's eye maple with African blackwood ferrule

Thanks Kevin!

Glad to see the blue one sold. I was making me uncomfortable :)

Dave, I completely agree how 1 mm difference in size or shape can be felt on a WA handles.

#3 - Dyed (brown) maple burl with African blackwood ferrule

Still available!
:groucho:

The green one is beautiful. You do amazing work, I bet it will be even better looking in person.

Pesky

Looking good, Dave! Why did I give you that blue maple again? Must have been in a weak moment ;)

Stefan

Shape - Octagonal (very straight, sort of a boxey style)
The sycamore has a lot of movement in the figuring, simple, very classy looking.

Dimensions - 15/20mm x 17/21mm

attachment.php

I suppose that this handle is a little too unconventional in it's shape? Maybe you could like it better if it had a better price attached? Shoot me a PM and make me an offer. :D

Back