D. Martell 5 Martell Gyutos headed to DistrictCutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just finished these 5 gyutos up and will ship them off to DistrictCutlery on Monday morning.

P1010001.JPG

4 from CPM154 steel
240mm - Figured Maple Burl (green dyed w/ chatoyance)
240mm - Figured Maple Burl (blue dyed w/ massive chatoyance)
225mm - Figured Koa (changes color tones big time when moved in the light)
225mm - Spalted Koa (each side is completely different)

1 from 52100 steel
240mm - Afzelia Burl (two toned)

These blades are all tall, very tall versions for 225mm for sure. They are all convex ground yet thin.

All have African Blackwood ferrules shaped to a new & improved version of my western handle that I've been doing for years. This newer style is a tad plumper in the mid-section/front, slightly taller, and longer to allow for those folks who insist on hammer gripping a knife....LOL. Basically it's just a more hand filling, comfortable handle, with added flexibility of use.

Just a reminder, these are the last of the old priced knives that will come to market and they may be the last Martell stainless gyutos that will be offered as I'm seriously considering going 100% carbon from now on. Stainless is great for the customer but hell on the knife maker, at least it is for this guy anyway. ;)

P1010004.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010017.JPG

I will stop by this week during a longer than normal lunch want to see in person one of the new handle shapes.

Let me know what you think of them Bill. BTW, you were part of the inspiration to make the changes.

I confess, I put dibs on the figured koa CPM 225mm before it even hit the DC website. It's been in rotation for a week. Dave's new handle really transforms the knife. It feels beefier and more controlled. Interestingly, while the handle is certainly larger, it has become my wife's favorite as well.

The figured koa never even made it to the website. Solved my conundrum so I bought the afzelia 52100. :cool:

Thank you! :cool:

I confess, I put dibs on the figured koa CPM 225mm before it even hit the DC website. It's been in rotation for a week. Dave's new handle really transforms the knife. It feels beefier and more controlled. Interestingly, while the handle is certainly larger, it has become my wife's favorite as well.

This is EXACTLY what I had hoped to hear! 👍 :cool: 👍

Dave, just got the chance to use the afzelia 52100 and it’s a winner! Made a salad which required cutting chicken, bacon :eek:, tomatoes, carrot, avocado, cuke, and radishes. So gamut from hard to soft. Obviously it can cut it all, but the way it cuts is sublime. Almost laser in the cut but with such a balanced, not heft..presence? It feels solid and stable, but not heavy. And of course it has the Dave edge so that’s nice too. Thanks Dave!!!

Dave, just got the chance to use the afzelia 52100 and it’s a winner! Made a salad which required cutting chicken, bacon :eek:, tomatoes, carrot, avocado, cuke, and radishes. So gamut from hard to soft. Obviously it can cut it all, but the way it cuts is sublime. Almost laser in the cut but with such a balanced, not heft..presence? It feels solid and stable, but not heavy. And of course it has the Dave edge so that’s nice too. Thanks Dave!!!

That's great to hear, thanks for your support! 👍

If the owner of the blue handle knife is following this thread, please let me know if you’d consider selling.

Back