6/14 New Pieces being added to my web store

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
These are some of the new pieces I am in the process of adding to my webstore.

I figured I would start with the lower priced blocks and work my way up.

Everything in the webstore comes with:
No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee
Free Priority Mail Shipping Worldwide
Free Cutting if you need a block cut into scales.

With the sale going on right now (ends 6/16), that makes the starting price of these blocks only $27 each. As I post the higher grade pieces the prices will rise accordingly.

To go to the section of my web store where these are being listed use this link.

Mark, judging by the weight of the block in the other thread, it looks like this stuff is dense enough not to need stabilization, is that right? I also couldn't help but notice that while these two-toned or "harner style" blocks look like they're great for western scales, they wont work for wa handles. Is there any chance in the future of seeing some cut 1 1/4- 1 1/2" square? Thanks for following the rules of the forum :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am going to need for you guys to teach me what sort of pieces are needed. With fighters, hunters, daggers and such I know what is needed. With Kitchen Knives, it's all Greek (I mean Japanese) to me.
Right now I am finishing up photographing these smaller blocks. After that I will get to work on the big blocks that are 1&1/2" thick.

I have never heard of anyone stabilizing the ringed gidgee.
It is super hard and oily wood.
Best finish to use is tung or danish oil (an oil finish that builds up), followed by paste wax and hand buff.

....they're great for western scales, they wont work for wa handles. Is there any chance in the future of seeing some cut 1 1/4- 1 1/2" square? Thanks for following the rules of the forum :thumbsup:

Why would that be? It's a bit thin, but otherwise it should work. For me, the perfect size for octagonal wa handle blanks is 1 1/8 x 1 3/8 x 5 - that leaves me all options. I can work with smaller pieces, I have a few 1x1" squares, but that limit's it to slimmer or smaller handles. For D-shaped handles, 1 3/8 square x 5 is perfect, I like to start these with a larger blank: I don't have a lathe and do all the shaping by hand, so starting with a slightly thicker piece gives me a bit more wiggle room. Of course, stabilised 1 1/4 rounds would be even easier for that... For all I know, for Western knives they should be a bit wider than 1 3/8".

Stefan

Stefan I was refering to his sub 1" pieces of the new ringed gidgee two-toned stuff in particular. You're right though, he does have a bunch of pieces in sizes that look great for wa handles. Sorry I wasn't more clear

Very nice. Is there a drooling smiley? Insert here....
-M

How about this one.:shocked3: Drooling into an electrical outlet.

OK, It's late, I am a little tired, or was that delerious.
I'm going home. See you guys tomorrow.
When I get back I will do the drawing to see who wins the piece of Ringed Gidgee.
Might as well do it early since I let the cat out of the bag.

There will be a short delay with the Ringed Gidgee.
The wood was supposed to have been kiln dried and gave the appearance of being dry.
But....... Before sending out I wanted to double check everything.
I took some of the larger pieces and cut them up to double check the moisture level on the inside.
They were close, but not quite ready.
I will be putting them in my kiln to finish getting them ready so they will be Just Right before any is sent out.
I normally make sure about this sort of thing at the very first but this batch looked so darned good I got ahead of myself.
Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused.
Mark

How's the kiln drying coming along, Mark?

There will be a short delay with the Ringed Gidgee.
The wood was supposed to have been kiln dried and gave the appearance of being dry.
But....... Before sending out I wanted to double check everything.
I took some of the larger pieces and cut them up to double check the moisture level on the inside.
They were close, but not quite ready.
I will be putting them in my kiln to finish getting them ready so they will be Just Right before any is sent out.
I normally make sure about this sort of thing at the very first but this batch looked so darned good I got ahead of myself.
Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused.
Mark

Back