76.6 HCR knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I raise an eyebrow when someone will not give details that I can reproduce. I am all for trust but verify.

He knows what he’s doing with HT and knife making so I wouldn’t right it off as being junk

Guys, we are taking about Roman of KKnives_Switzerland here. He got a piece this material from an undisclosed company to test / play with. He knows very well what he is doing. He has a very scientific approach and does some crazy high end HT - just look at the edge retention tests of some of his blades made by outpost 76 on YouTube.

My understanding is that it is a major PITA 😀 as only some specific diamond based abrasives work. I did not follow up with Roman on this as I did not get the impression that this was more than an experiment. I don’t know whether he will have access to this material in the future.

Yeah, what Matus said, Roman knows what he is doing and then some. Diamonds are your friend. Will be interesting to see what the final result will be.

There were a few ideas of making knives out of liquid metal and flexible ceramics before, but so far steel ended up being better for many reasons.

Most here would not like these knives anyway, no patina, need diamonds, thinning will probably be impossible by hand, no heat treat magic to argue over, etc it is no White 2:LOL:

Would be less of an issue if it holds it's edge for a really long time. Even if home sharpening was impossible, it wouldn't be too much of a problem, if it only needed sharpening annually or something.
I'm guessing anybody with the budget for a knife made of this stuff won't mind getting the $200 diamond stones to sharpen it with.

I'm guessing anybody with the budget for a knife made of this stuff won't mind getting the $200 diamond stones to sharpen it with.
It may not be expensive. Obviously it would be at first, but it may be able to be produced and manufactured at reasonable costs, in which case, if enough people start producing knives using this material, it could be cost efficient and there be enough supply to create competition. Let's hope not, because that wouldn't be good for the current bladesmiths.

Let's hope not, because that wouldn't be good for the current bladesmiths.
I feel that, but at the same time, real innovation is good. (By "real" I just mean honest and not all hype.)

Everyone needs to make a living, but a good bladesmith will certainly recognize the benefit if a genuinely superior product is created. It's not the same as being cheated by impostors.

Because PM steels capable of higher hardness and edge retention have massively displaced all other non Pm steels and killed off all the makers not equipped to use them.........
Or maybe not

Because PM steels capable of higher hardness and edge retention have massively displaced all other non Pm steels and killed off all the makers not equipped to use them.........
Or maybe not
I was basing the possibility of it potentially harming existing makers on it being produced easily and cheaply. Either way, it was hypothetical.

Or maybe not
All of them are recognized as "better in some ways but not in others". Some day, there may come a new material that turns out to be "better in every way, no question". But probably not for a LONG time.

Hasn't anyone here tested a ceramic knife before? They're quite cheap and hit about 75 HRC. I bought one for testing and didn't like it myself, but it was mostly messing around to see what I thought of it rather than setting out to make any definitive conclusions.
It felt like something you should knap rather than sharpen on an abrasive stone...

Hasn't anyone here tested a ceramic knife before? They're quite cheap and hit about 75 HRC. I bought one for testing and didn't like it myself, but it was mostly messing around to see what I thought of it rather than setting out to make any definitive conclusions.
It felt like something you should knap rather than sharpen on an abrasive stone...
I've used a poor quality (or good but old and wearing out?) ceramic knife. Not a great experience. Like I said, it might have been good when it was new. But clearly, nobody here has tried a flexible ceramic knife, and clearly it's not just the same thing.

Back