76.6 HCR knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good pick. Some of the few knife reviewers on YT who actually use the knife they review. I am lookng forward what their experience will be.
I don't think we would benefit from a table top review in this case.

That's why I am looking forward to the independent testing of this knife. I could tell you all day how great it is, but I let others to decide. My hopes are up, but no matter the outcome I like to dare walking paths nobody walked before. Because in the end, it will turn heads and bring me business for my main income, which is making custom knives from steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
How difficult is it to sharpen compared to VG10,R2?
Very difficult - your technique must be flawless. Stropping with 6micron or 3 micron diamond compound works very well and easily however. Odd, I know.

Last edited:
You should. As I just also wrote in a different reply, I also was very critical initially and I will soon send samples of these knives out to Youtubers. I / we need independent verification. Every innovator is biased towards their own product and I am no exception. These tests will tell us a lot. I don't think it will replace steel anytime soon - it's after all also the first material of its kind - but it could certainly give 120 Euro/150USD "retail store knives" a hard run for their money. The ordinary knife that Jon Doe picks up at Walmart for his BBQ next Friday is outcut by this flexible ceramic based on what I found out in testing. High end PM grade steels have higher edge stability and toughness, no doubt about it. That's why I am mainly using these steels and still will be doing so for most likely many years alongside with this material. The edge retention however, well, I think this could break any former record. But again, let's wait for the test results of independent (Youtube) testers like Cedric&Ada and see. In any case I think we are witnessing the start of something that will change many things in our daily lives such as prostetics, implants and wear resistant machine parts. Especially those.
That would be great to see an actual certified HRC test using a certified lab and calibrated equipment. This testing using 60 year old Russian hardness testers from flea markets that haven’t been serviced or calibrated in decades has me a bit skeptical. 😂😂😂😂

That's why I am looking forward to the independent testing of this knife. I could tell you all day how great it is, but I let others to decide. My hopes are up, but no matter the outcome I like to dare walking paths nobody walked before. Because in the end, it will turn heads and bring me business for my main income, which is making custom knives from steel.
I appreciate that you're doing some sort of social media strategy where you reply to everyone and try to force your talking points into the conversation. But I was laugh-reacting at the newbie member telling Kippington of all people that his insistence on material utility will prevent him from creating anything new.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great to see an actual certified HRC test using a certified lab and calibrated equipment. This testing using 60 year old Russian hardness testers from flea markets that haven’t been serviced or calibrated in decades has me a bit skeptical. 😂😂😂😂
That's why I don't use such a tester - you are absolutely corrcet that one has to be sceptical about flea market testers:

Last edited:
I appreciate that you're doing some sort of social media strategy where you reply to everyone and try to force your talking points into the conversation. But I was laugh-reacting at the newbie member telling Kippington of all people that his insistence on material utility will prevent him from creating anything new.
Oh I see. English isn't my first language, so I sometimes don't catch these fine nuances. That being said, I don't want to force anything (!) or want to do some obscure social media corporate thingy - I just want to be transparent. I have high hopes for this material, yet want to be clear of its limitations, too.

In my experience, this is not correct.

I could maintain the majority of my knives with almost any stone. Granted, some stones may struggle with highly alloyed steels and the stones that we tend to favour here have nice feedback compared to other stones but... almost any stone will actually grind the steel.

Also, plain old sandpaper would easily deal with any of my knives.
As a 600 (then 1200) grit AlO3 or SiC sandpaper deal with ceramic knives.

Update: Just shipped a test blade to Cedric&Ada (Youtube channel you may know) for the cut testing. Will probably take 1-2 weeks to arrive on the other side of the world in Australia. I will post a link to the review here once it's out.

Finally. The test by Cedric and Ada is done. And YES, you can sharpen it! I will soon make a video on how to do it. ( Also since the next question probably will be what these knives cost - admins remove this part if not okay - price for a similar knife like in the video (with tip) is 70 - 100USD.

Congratulations! That's pretty impressive edge retention. Definitely time for a KKF passaround. If you want knife-spoiled people who do not necessarily represent the any real "market" for this product criticizing your work, there is definitely no better place then here and no better people then us!

Congratulations! That's pretty impressive edge retention. Definitely time for a KKF passaround. If you want knife-spoiled people who do not necessarily represent the any real "market" for this product criticizing your work, there is definitely no better place then here and no better people then us!
Excellent, and since he lives in Switzerland and I also live in Sweden, I can grab it for a first try. 👍🏻😂

Based on a video looks like the grind is either FFG with big secondary bevel or no grind at all and just a secondary bevel.
Can this material support more complex grinds?

I’d be curious I try a passaround... But how will maintenance work as the passaround drags on? I don’t imagine too many people would necessarily be able to sharpen it and/or fix any microchips.

Also, Roman, I’ve sent you 3 messages (via PM here and your website’s webform) over the last 2-3 months or so. I know your reply time is about a month, but just thought I’d see if my messages got through.

Based on a video looks like the grind is either FFG with big secondary bevel or no grind at all and just a secondary bevel.
Can this material support more complex grinds?
It is full flat grind with secondary, just not visible in the video. Can can support all grinds out there.

I’d be curious I try a passaround... But how will maintenance work as the passaround drags on? I don’t imagine too many people would necessarily be able to sharpen it and/or fix any microchips.

Also, Roman, I’ve sent you 3 messages (via PM here and your website’s webform) over the last 2-3 months or so. I know your reply time is about a month, but just thought I’d see if my messages got through.

I will make a sharpening video soon, that being said I think multiple knafs might be the answer. Let me think about it for a while.

I got about a hundred messages to Check right now; I don't know if yours is among them, but I see no reason why not.

I will make a sharpening video soon, that being said I think multiple knafs might be the answer. Let me think about it for a while.

I got about a hundred messages to Check right now; I don't know if yours is among them, but I see no reason why not.

Thanks!

I shall keep an eye out.

So, I found this really interesting. There is this knife that, for practical intents and purposes, does not dull. By the looks of things, that thing will not need sharpening before I die, even if I use it every day.

This sort of closes a chapter, doesn't it? No more sharpening. No more obsessing about stones. No more debates about ceramic vs steel honing rods.

If this knife handles and feels even acceptably well, I'll buy one. Because I use knives to prepare meals, not to sharpen them.

Last edited:
So, I found this really interesting. There is this knife that, for practical intents and purposes, does not dull. By the looks of things, that thing will not need sharpening before I die, even if I use it every day.

This sort of closes a chapter, doesn't it? No more sharpening. No more obsessing about stones. No more debates about ceramic vs steel honing rods.

If this knife handles and feels even acceptably well, I'l buy one. Because I use knives to prepare meals, not to sharpen them.

It won't actually last that long, is the thing. It will last a really long while, but one really important thing to about any ceramic knife, even magic flexi ceramic, is that you are going to get chipping. That chipping "early" on is going to help in certain tasks, like cutting rope or paper, as the tiny chips form teeth. Long term, the chip edges soften, become larger and the edge becomes dull. The same is true of super hard brittle "super" steels that we use on knives.

Numbers like the Cedric... video showed are impressive as hell, but also are around 5x well-made AEB-L. If you use it a fair amount, it will start dulling. You can then sharpen it easily and quickly on any stones and restore maximum performance in 5 or 10 minutes. This knife? It will last a lot longer before dulling, but sharpening is going to be massively more painful. And if you are like me at all, since I really expanded my position in knives and stones, I don't tolerate even a tiny bit of dull. I want every knife on my strip to glide through everything at all times. Celery, cabbage, carrots, butternuts, sweet potatoes, soft juicy tomatoes, fresh hard peppers - everything has to be completely smooth or the knife hits stone. That means maintaining edges that would be ridiculous to 99% of consumers, for the 2 to 3 meals I cook a day at home.

All of that said, the market isn't here to cater to me. It's here for soccer moms and mid manager dads and doctor ladies and garbage men. Most of that group, even the good cooks, are probably used to knives that I wouldn't touch, and this knife would be literal magic to them. Cooking a few meals a week, without going silly on what you are cutting and without trying to set speed and smoothness records when doing so? This knife will likely never get down to the levels of the Vic they bought 8 years ago and have only used a 9 dollar pull through on once every year since.

"It Slices, It Dices, It Even Cuts This Tin Can And Still Remains Razor Sharp!"

I've ordered one because I'm intrigued enough to want to try it. Worst case, I'll give it to some family with a drawer full of dull knives.

Don't get me wrong. I think products like these are great for various reasons. But my issue is why do they always use the types of tests you would use for a folder or utility knife on a kitchen knife? None of this shows me how this will perform in any kitchen be it home or professional. I would prefer that they prepare a meal or chop and slice a bunch of food. Maybe a video showing several days of prep? Who knows.

These tests would be great if I was looking for a ceramic folder.

Yes. How well the knife actually works depends in large part on the feel and handling and balance. But these things are quite difficult to show in a video anyway.

I expect something thin, super-sharp, and very light. I have no doubt that it will work well for general-purpose veggie prep and the like. It'll probably also do really well for slicing salami, medium-hard cheeses, and similar. I doubt that it would work well for hard things, such as pumpkin, or for skinning a pineapple.

My wife will probably like it because it'll be sharp, won't need sharpening all the time, and is light. We'll see in a few weeks…

Last edited:
Hey it is @Chef Doom!!

I expect something thin, super-sharp, and very light.

Seems that way. I suspect it will be handle heavy/biased. Right now I prefer balance at the heel or slightly forward. Perhaps it doesnt matter if the knife is so light? Still... I imagine some weight in the blade is generally an asset (to a degree).

I can see this being potentially appealing to people who want to take their knives for granted (the overwhelming majority of home cooks). Knife nerds might be intrigued by its material properties. As a tool it shouldn't matter... but dare I say it... it seems to lack soul.... It may not have much appeal to those who enjoy the craftsmanship of handmade knives...

@Roman... since it is a food preparation tool, in press/videos, I would recommend using a food grade lubricant for sharpening. Either that or be very, very clear about cleaning WD40 completely off the blade. Trace amounts wont kill a person... but it is not good stuff to ingest!

Hey there @Luftmensch

I know the "soul" argument quite well. My thing is, you don't see the folding or hunting knife community testing there blades in the kitchen. So I never understood why there was an obsession with testing kitchen knives as if you are going to use it for wood carving.

The knife sounds great. Hardness, flexibility, long lasting, all things a woman wants in the bedroom. But if I hate using it on a cutting board then all of those things are meaningless.

Now if they show a video where they are chopping onions an tomatoes, then they use that same knife to kill some random ninja assassins, then go back to chopping onions and tomatoes, I will make a pre-order TODAY!

Back