Quantcast

8" Banno Bunka from Doghouse Forge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Matt Jacobs

Reaction score
Received a new knife today 8" AEB-L stock removal "Banno Bunka". The fit and finish is exceptional, the handle is really comfortable. Balance point is just ahead of the logo and there is 10,000 year old mammoth tusk in the handle.
I wanted to try something in AEB-L and get a bunka a little bigger than the standard 165mm so this fit the bill. I havent had a chance to use it yet so I will post some results and comparisons later. I was a little bit surprised to see the tip was rounded on a bunka but it is sharpened up around the corner and very thin with a full flat grind. Last pic next to a couple of Mazaki's and a nakiri.

Attachments

Matt Jacobs

Reaction score
I got a chance to use this yesterday on a large amount of overly rip tomatoes, some onion and basil.
The knife might be the most comfortable and well balanced that I have used. I think it may be the mono-steel but I feel very confident using this knife.
The factory edge is very well done and it slid through the tomato skin with zero hesitation.
The heal of the knife is great, it has a good flat spot and handled the basil perfectly.
On the not so great side, the tip of the knife is too thick and I would prefer a point over a sharpened curve.
It just didnt go through the vertical slices of the onion like I am used to with my Kurosoki Bunka or Mazaki gyuoto/petty.
I hope to remedy this with either thinning or eventually getting a pointy tip back with sharpening.
The edge held up fantastic and I didnt notice any degradation of the factory edge. I look forward to sharpening soon and will follow up then.
As much as I love carbon steel I must admit it was nice cutting onion and tomato and not having to worry about rust or patina. I will use this as my daily driver for a little bit and do a follow up review.

Latest posts