8+ years without sharpening or care

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom's trusty, well used Mac knives; my late aunts whetstone. Whenever I visit me parents, and commandeer mom's kitchen, I keep the whetstone out on the counter when I cook—for nostalgia, inspiration, my aunt was a great cook! The knives are probably circa 1950/60s.

View attachment 116282

I've sharpened plenty of these old Macs. They sold them in Longs Drugstores the 1960's in Hawaii.

I've sharpened plenty of these old Macs. They sold them in Longs Drugstores the 1960's in Hawaii.
Yes! I’m assuming that the large Japanese population in Hawaii a reason why Mac gained an early foothold in the islands—just conjecture—Mac are the ‘high-end’ knives sold at Don Quijote market. Think Long’s is now owned by CVS, now Kai Pure Komanchi a popular $10 chef’s knife there.

Yes CVS Longs had lots of things like those cheap woven mats they used to sell. Everybody had them.

The Sakai knives with white plastic handles they sold too. Had a good grind on them. Macs & Sakai were my first knives at Nick's Fish Market early 1970's one of the waiters there got
me steady side job airbrushing shaped foam surfboards. After the artwork they were glassed.

I had some contact with the owner of Mac knives some years ago. He started by importing a nice Japanese hunting knife in a very heavy duty scabbard. It came in two blade length with the larger being the most common. I still have both. Selling hunting knives is a very competitive field and he was much more successful with kitchen cutlery. For the record, his hunting knives were better designs than most of stuff available in those days.

Back