A 30/70 right hand 70/30 left hand edge bevel.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also a bigger deal if you are trying to cut fat slices. I have a highly assymetric nakiri. It is much better at julienne sweet potatoes than cutting sweet potato french fries
Do you adjust the sharpening angle to negate steering issues?

It's also a bigger deal if you are trying to cut fat slices. I have a highly assymetric nakiri. It is much better at julienne sweet potatoes than cutting sweet potato french fries
How are these two different? Size of product? In my home-cook
cone of ignorance, I think
of fabbing fries as a scaled-up (coarser) julienne.

Do you adjust the sharpening angle to negate steering issues?

I don't use it for problematic stuff.

How are these two different? Size of product? In my home-cook
cone of ignorance, I think
of fabbing fries as a scaled-up (coarser) julienne.

Think about the difference between cutting a fat carrot in half and cutting a thin slice off of a fat carrot. The first will amplify issues with steering and wedging. The latter it won't matter as much.

Once you're used to a strongly asymmetric double-bevelled blade, you compensate for steering by very slightly turning your wrist clockwise. It will add friction to the left side, and reduce to the right one.
It is funny you really notice steering when slicing SPAM. My best SPAM knife I have is a really cheap Yanagiba I purchased years ago when I thought I knew more about Japanese knives than I actually did. It is also up until just recently my go to tomato slicer. It is a right handed single bevel grind. When I slice SPAM with it I have to slice back to the left to get straight thin slices. I use one of my Petty knives now on tomatoes..

I have to say that I really like my single bevel knives, they are so easy to put an awesome edge on.

Last edited:
It is funny you really notice steering when slicing SPAM. My best SPAM knife I have is a really cheap Yanagiba I purchased years ago when I thought I knew more about Japanese knives than I actually did. It is also up until just recently my go to tomato slicer. It is a right handed single bevel grind. When I slice SPAM with it I have to slice back to the left to get straight thin slices. I use one of my Petty knives now on tomatoes..

I have to say that I really like my single bevel knives, they are so easy to put an awesome edge on.
I picked up one of those thin cheap mono-stainless 210 yanagi off the Zon at the outset of my courtship of waterstones. Like $14, branded “Sekizo” and the Zon swears they’re made in Japan.

Of course, this is the outfit that blithely sells Kamikoto, Huusk Japan (!), and $35 knockoffs (in damascus!) of that grotesque Tom Brown tracker.

https://www.amazon.com/REG-L-1331-C...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

However, I learned the basics of single-bevel sharpening on that blade, and to this day it is in rotation because nothing else does as good of a job at bisecting medium-boiled eggs for making deviled ones.

Back