Japanese Knives A different kind of diamond stone... feeler

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the 300a diamond stone you have on your site one of these stones?

They are finally up here on the website... this is the product description:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...nes/products/800-grit-vitrified-diamond-stone

The Gesshin 800 grit vitrified Diamond stone is the most used stone in my personal collection. Since starting to use these a few years ago, they quickly became my favorite. I believe that most professional sharpeners are always on a quest for the best coarse stone they can find, but its always hard to find the perfect coarse stone. This one comes as close as any I have tried. While its not as fast as our Gesshin 220, it is as fast cutting as many 320-400 grit stones. However, being 800 grit, it fits within the medium grit range (naka toishi). The scratches it leaves are not as deep as those from the coarser stones I would normally start with. This allows me to jump directly from this stone to my finishing stones, cutting my sharpening time drastically. For example, a common 2 stone setup in our workshop might include this 800 grit stone and any one of our 3000-8000 grit stones (most often, it ends up being on of our 6000 grit stones).

Unlike other diamond stones found commonly in the market, this stone acts more like the traditional soaking stones many are used to. It is porous and actually soaks in water, while providing a more traditional whetstone feel. Because it is extremely thin, it soaks rather quickly (in just a few seconds), so despite not being technically splash-and-go, it is probably the closest one can get.

As you can see in the picture, the stone is mounted on a glass plate. The stone itself is only about 3mm thick. However, the stone is extremely slow wearing, and does not need flattening often. In fact, the stone is so wear resistant that I haven't been able to find an effective means for flattening the stone, which means that one must be good enough at sharpening to use the stone surface evenly while sharpening, as that is the most effective way of keeping the stone flat. Also, this stone is particularly aggressive on soft stainless cladding, and may leave deeper scratches when cutting on soft stainless cladding.

All in all, this is probably my favorite stone of all of the ones i own.

If you are willing to tell: What/whom are they made for/marketed to originally - professional tool and die makers?

If you are willing to tell: What/whom are they made for/marketed to originally - professional tool and die makers?

they dont normally make sharpening stones like what we have... rather they make larger grinding wheels for large scale manufacturing (i.e. automotive, aerospace, etc.)

I am just wondering loud here - I guess a large grinding wheel made of the same/similar material would cost a fortune, but would it be more cost effective than a 2x72" belt grinder for sharpening or stock removal?

So you had them made by an abrasive maker for the express purpose of knife/tool sharpening... I suspected they were a common (albeit costly) product from some industrial sector that is new only to the knife enthusiast community...

I am just wondering loud here - I guess a large grinding wheel made of the same/similar material would cost a fortune, but would it be more cost effective than a 2x72" belt grinder for sharpening or stock removal?

Probably not more functional to be honest

yeah... i have them on order... would never even imagine living without these, so i will always have some in or on order

I have one and it is everything Jon says. I find it invaluable for setting a new bevel in a couple of passes. I find I can effectively jump to a polisher like a suita or kilta without an intermediary stone. I haven't found a steel it can't easily handle including the high hardness PM steels.

I don't' sharpen more that a couple of knives at a time, so it's a luxury for me, but if you have a lot of blades to sharpen, I'd say it's almost a necessity.

Hmm... Maybe I need one of these, too... Or two so I can use one to flatten the other, lol...

@JBroida do you remember the 500 grit diamond plate I picked up from you shortly before y'all moved to Beverly Hills? Can you offer a comparison of their relative cutting and wear rates? Thanks!

@JBroida do you remember the 500 grit diamond plate I picked up from you shortly before y'all moved to Beverly Hills? Can you offer a comparison of their relative cutting and wear rates? Thanks!

Very different stones... come up one day and check them out side by side if you want

The 800 cuts faster, is slower wearing, and more grippy, but there are cases where the 500 works better

Mine arrived a couple days ago, the first couple of sessions were an eye opener. It’s gonna get used, a lot!

How does this compare to the diamond/resin 1k/6k stones you sell?

It’s a very different stone... more like a regular ceramic stone, but faster and slower dishing... not perfect for everything, but for the things is is good for, it’s amazing... by far my most used stone

Interesting. I have the 1k & 6k and for the very rare opportunities I have to sharpen I enjoy them.
Is this vitrified stone finished both sides? If one were to secure it to a plate so that it could be removed and flipped when it eventually dishes...……….

Left it in the cart overnight. Thank you *whom ever* for saving my wallet.

now illyria will have your stone nomo. how do you feel about that?

Sometimes exercising self restraint is quite nom nom nom

The stone is absolutely spectacular.

The tactile feedback is great and it cuts quick, even on my 63-64hrc blades.

Can immediately jump straight to my synthetic natural.

we're working on mounting a few more as soon as we can make some time... its been quite busy lately

Back