A Good Finish For A Pizza Cutter.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
So I never use the pizza cutter at my house, but others in my house love frozen pizza.

What I'm wondering is what kind of edge do you think will hold up best for a pizza cutter. It is completely rounded, and chipped now, but that's an easy fix. Idk, what do you guys think?

So I never use the pizza cutter at my house, but others in my house love frozen pizza.

What I'm wondering is what kind of edge do you think will hold up best for a pizza cutter. It is completely rounded, and chipped now, but that's an easy fix. Idk, what do you guys think?

About 60 degrees inclusive. Sharpen it with a steel file or a coarse stone. Work your way around the wheel raising a small burr on one side then the other. Deburr edge trailing on cardboard. I used to have to do these things a lot at hotels. We would do pizzas for the late night/ after party snack for weddings, banquets and conferences. You don't want it thin because it will take too much damage. But you do want a nice clean edge so it will get through the crust completely or whoever has to plate the smoking hot slices onto serving platters will kill you if they have to tear the pieces apart manual.

I have a softer knife I use more or less exclusively for this task (teenagers, sheesh) and I just sharpen it on a shapton glass 500 and yeah the angle is uh... not shallow.

About 60 degrees inclusive. Sharpen it with a steel file or a coarse stone. Work your way around the wheel raising a small burr on one side then the other. Deburr edge trailing on cardboard. I used to have to do these things a lot at hotels. We would do pizzas for the late night/ after party snack for weddings, banquets and conferences. You don't want it thin because it will take too much damage. But you do want a nice clean edge so it will get through the crust completely or whoever has to plate the smoking hot slices onto serving platters will kill you if they have to tear the pieces apart manual.
Got it. I will definitely be keeping it nice and thicc.

I like the file idea. The steel will surely be soft enough for it.

I have a softer knife I use more or less exclusively for this task (teenagers, sheesh) and I just sharpen it on a shapton glass 500 and yeah the angle is uh... not shallow.
Yeah I use a cuisinart that's in the knife block for the other people I live with (I keep my knives in a roll in my room). They like the pizza cutter for some reason. So I decided to do them a favor, and get it sharp.

Yeah I use a cuisinart that's in the knife block for the other people I live with (I keep my knives in a roll in my room). They like the pizza cutter for some reason. So I decided to do them a favor, and get it sharp.

oh I see you mean a literal pizza cutter. ok, sorry I took that figuratively lol.

in that case I would personally either take it apart or jam the thing rigid, and yeah Im not even sure it really needs to be sharp as much as apexed. I kind of like the file suggestion, but a 500 grit stone should also be plenty powerful enough to chew through the soft stainless. then, frankly, I would do some light passes against the edge to dull it ever so slightly.

oh I see you mean a literal pizza cutter. ok, sorry I took that figuratively lol.

in that case I would personally either take it apart or jam the thing rigid, and yeah Im not even sure it really needs to be sharp as much as apexed. I kind of like the file suggestion, but a 500 grit stone should also be plenty powerful enough to chew through the soft stainless. then, frankly, I would do some light passes against the edge to dull it ever so slightly.
Yeah I'm just, more or less repairing chips, and apexing it.

Put an eraser on the corner of a cutting-board. Place one face of your pizza-cutter blade on the eraser to gain a bit of elevation and to keep the wheel from rotating. Using a flat-face single-cut axe file, shave downward and going away from center. A drop or two of any oil wouldn't hurt. Call me when the pizza's done, and don't forget the anchovies.:flippingpan:

Back