A great use for a DeBuyer pan! And not stinking up my home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I love cooking fish. I HATE how my house smells like fish afterwards. Hell, I hate that meat smell as well. And my hood vent isn’t anemic. It’s a bit small; could/should cover my stove better.

Anyways. I preheat my outdoor propane Weber grill, once it’s hot I simply put my pan in there. It’s the perfect heft; it gets hot fast!

Then I had better have my food ready. In goes cooking fat. Quick swirl. In goes the fish. I then close the lid. I might open to do that oil baste or flip, but that’s pretty much it. Tonight I did add capers. Play it right and you get perfect cooked fish. Not overdone. The carbon pan cools some when the cool raw fish goes in; it rebounds slower I think. I tried with cast once but I evercooked the delicate fish. I had that over cooked edge for sure.

I wish this forum would allow us to post pics directly.

Oh the downside. My pan handle is looking ugly. Burned splatter and that silicone Bee is about to die :)

I hear ya about cooking stuff like that indoors. I use my Debuyer and CI outside on a portable butane stove (I have a smaller Weber "Q" grill with no side burner). Might have to try directly on the grill sometimes, but I don't really like how the Q works with the lid open :/

I hear ya about cooking stuff like that indoors. I use my Debuyer and CI outside on a portable butane stove (I have a smaller Weber "Q" grill with no side burner). Might have to try directly on the grill sometimes, but I don't really like how the Q works with the lid open :/

i kick myself weekly for not ponying up the $50 for the side burner..argh..that simple side burner can do so much.

Do the exact same here, hate the fish smell in the house. the bee on mine has already died and been cremated:laugh:, and yup noticed the same from CI, guess its cause it stores much more heat. The handle on mine had that epoxy coating and well most of it has melted away during a seasoning experiment anyways so i don't care much for it anymore, once spring sets in im planning on sanding it down to bare metal anyways!

Back