A knife knumpty gets his hands on a Kippington

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juice

Doesn't even buy knives
Reaction score
8TdPRwA.jpg

Yes, I am a komplete knife knumpty, as most of you are well aware.

My knife of choice for the past six years or so has been a Shun 200mm Elite Gyuto SG2-clad VG10 (I presume) so it's not a terrible knife, but not flash, either. I struggled to afford it when I bought it (on a decent special, and it was the best knife I could afford at the time), and so haven't been able to replace it with anything better since. (Did you know the job market is screwed for journalists/photographers/people with ADHD and depression and various anxieties and neck injuries and chronic headaches? Well, hard as it is to believe, now you know 🙃

Anyway, now we've set the historical scene, let us move on. A couple of weeks ago, a very generous member of the forum here in Australia (@benhendy) sent me a DM and asked if I'd like to borrow his correct-handed @Kippington . Yep, really. I was somewhat overwhelmed by the offer, and kinda terrified of accepting (I tend to catastrophise everything, and the offer of a knife of this calibre makes that super easy to do), but Ben talked me off the ledge and sent it down here. Arrived yesterday, despite our COVID-related delays in the post.

You can see it HERE

It's quite a bit bigger and heavier than the Shun that has been my main knife for six years (41cm v 33cm, 289g v 209g, 57mm v 45mm heel height, both balance at the heel), and when I first got it out of the box I was pretty intimidated by it, TBH.

It's gorgeous. I love the handle with the dual spacers and the dark teatree wood, and the mirror finish and the grind are sophistication personified. Its beauty is in its lack of ornamentation - it's not pretty (looking at you, Damascus), rather it's beautiful. It's Sophia Loren/Audrey Hepburn, where the beauty lasts well into the senior years as opposed to the latest pretty Hollywood bimbo who will be off the scene before they're 40 despite all the plastic surgery. It's just classy (possibly unlike my previous analogy).

I did some prep for my wife this morning which was mostly dicing up some onions for some savoury mince for us to put in the freezer. I'm getting better at onions, but I'm still not great (with anything, really, I can't concentrate hard/long enough to learn properly, bloody ADHD), so I figured this beast of a knife was going to be pretty hard to use, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Despite the increased size, I was immediately more accurate with it in all the cuts, and my wife, who had said she wanted a "fine dice" immediately directed that the second onion be cut into far larger pieces. It really was that easy - from the first onion, I was already cutting better when I had completely expected to make a mess of it. But despite the extra size and weight it was just easier to use than the Shun, and MUCH easier to use a pinch grip with, which obviously helps with the size. I still think I will be better off in the long run with a smaller knife, but I'm far less convinced of that now than I was 12 hours ago after using this one for a bit.

OK, I'd better post this now or I won't get it out tonight, but I'll be using for more stuff in the coming days and I'll report on how it works for a knumpty in those situations as well.

TL;DR - even a relatively unskilled knife user is immediately improved when using a super-knife like this.

Last edited:
OK, update from yesterday:

more onions, half a cabbage, and a zucchini.

I made my wrong-handed wife use it to chop the zucchini, just to see how correct-handed it was. "Very nice, very sharp. But you're still not allowed to buy it." (She's a cautious woman (despite being married to me), given I've explained to her it's on loan, not on trial. I think she thinks I'm introducing it to the house under the cover of a loan.)

I'm still amazed at how well I can cut onions with it.

And the cabbage, well - my wife asked for a fine shred and it delivered in spades. Ridiculously impressive.

And we're getting some patina, which surprised me somewhat as I've been PARANOID about wiping it down straight after using it. It doesn't look bad, of course, I'm just surprised at how quickly it showed up. (Remember, I'm a numpty.)

TL;DR - still loving it.

XH1A4663.jpg

Great looking knife! Nice review too 👍 (can't see a like button, presumably I have limited privileges in this forum)

OK, our eating has been somewhat disrupted by my wife's work, so we've only eaten dinner for the last couple of days (low-carb FTW, again, makes that not too difficult) so I've been desperately trying to drum up knife work. Today was just an onion and some mushrooms, but it did remind of the only negative I've come across so far with this beauty - the heel.

It's SHARP, and it has ripped up a couple of microfibre cloths I've been using to wipe it down. My Shun has just the SLIGHTEST rounding on the heel, a TINY radius, and in six years I've never had this issue.

So there we go, it's not PERFECT 🙃

Must be a post count thing I don’t have a ‘Like’ button for this forum either. So I’ll have to write out my like of this Kip review.

It's Sophia Loren/Audrey Hepburn, where the beauty lasts well into the senior years as opposed to the latest pretty Hollywood bimbo who will be off the scene before they're 40 despite all the plastic surgery. It's just classy (possibly unlike my previous analogy).

:p

SG2 Clad means SG2 is the core steel with stainless cladding, there shouldn't be any VG10 in your SHUN.

There you go. You got her to take the bait. Now you just need to carefully reel her in.

Nah mate jump in and get one - though I do suggest you pick up a solid chef's knife for yourself first!

But then @nakiriknaifuwaifu will get upset at me for driving the prices up. Not that they want another one, no sir.
Go ahead and get one. Pick up some kind of powered device to remove metal. You might not fancy Nakiri's, but, totally dig Gyuto's. Might want to scrub the kanji off though. I hear some countries are strict about that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the review! What a treat to jump straight into trying out a knife like this.

Nah mate jump in and get one - though I do suggest you pick up a solid chef's knife for yourself first!
I've technically got a couple 🙃
XH1A4387.jpg
XH1A4392.jpg

They appear to be pretty terrible, and I've never used them due to them not really being usable, but still... #NakiriPower!

That top one has a kinda #Beige handle, too...

Go ahead and get one. Pick up some kind of powered device to remove metal. You might not fancy Nakiri's, but, totally dig Gyuto's. Might want to scrub the kanji off though. I hear some countries are strict about that kind of stuff.
Look, we're a land of criminals. @ma_sha1 would be right at home down here. We can do anything!

Thanks for the review! What a treat to jump straight into trying out a knife like this.
I think you're being a bit generous with "review," but yes, very generous of Ben to lend it to me, for sure. I do love it a lot, although I still wonder if a 240 is more knife than I need...

I think you're being a bit generous with "review," but yes, very generous of Ben to lend it to me, for sure. I do love it a lot, although I still wonder if a 240 is more knife than I need...
Nonsense! Just prep a big soup, and cut all the carrots at the same time. Then you'll be thinking, "man, maybe I need a 270." 🤠

OK, so this has been an extended play with the magic knife (as it was named by my wife, only partially ironically), and @benhendy's generosity has allowed me to learn a couple of things.

1) I still think 240 is too much knife for me. Even a gorgeous, easy-to-hold, beautifully-balanced knife like this one.

2) I don't need a knife this good. It's a mismatch in terms of quality and skill - even a run-of-the-mill Mazaki would be plenty for me 🙃 I also don't use it enough - we generally eat two meals a day, one of which is a standard breakfast, so it just doesn't get used enough. I've been scrambling for opportunities to make the most of it while I have it.

2a) which is not to say that I don't WANT a knife this good, but realistically, it's wasted on me.

All up, a really fun time with it, and a great learning experience, but I think it's time to send it back before I get too attached to it, 240 or not ;)

Back