A lifetime pursuit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roastveg

Reaction score
My first kitchen job was 40yrs ago. When I could afford it I bought myself a set of Henckels 4 Star and added over the years. I've been front and back of the house, management etc. I want to buy a fantastic hand made Japanese knife that I can refine my sharpening skills on and start an endless growth curve toward perfection. I want to fall in love and get married. Blue#2/Aogami Super sort of thing. Looks are not important, just quality. The steel, the way it is worked and the balance of the knife. I use a claw grip. I would like to start with a 210 Gyuto or a Bunka. Takeshi Saji and Yu Kurosaki have caught my eye. Value for the money is important to me. I will also need to purchase stones and some stopps.

I would love to hear suggestions from purists who sharpen their own knives but also kick out a **** TON of food.

Thank you so very much for your thoughtful considerastops.

RV

From what I've read i think about $400.00 should do it. I would stretch to $700.00 if it was soimproved upon,

For some reason that reply got messed up. What I wanted to say was that I think 400 should do it and I would stretch to 700 if it was something that was so highly recommended I would have to have it. I am also very practical though and, maybe I should be looking at or 2 or some of the powdered metals because I really do put knives through their paces.

Welcome to KKF.
My first recommendation would be a Gesshin Gengetsu Gyuto from Japanese Knife Imports. This also seems like a situation that the Watanabe pro line is well suited for. You are hitting the sweet spot of the market at your price point. There are many great choices for you to explore.

The last time I walked a pro chef down this road at the 210 edge length I offered them the Gengetsu and Sukenari to try. They went with the Sukenari. YMMV.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...roducts/sukenari-r2-sg2-damascus-gyuto-210-mm

Thank you for your time!
To conclude:
Is your reccomendation the Watanabe Pro or Geshin over the Sukenari? R2 over Aogami?

In that price range, I'm also a big fan of the Gengetsu. You'll have to be on your sharpening game to maintain the "magic" on the edge.

A couple that I like as well are the Amekiri from Knives and Stones and Kashima from Clean cut - both made by Yoshikane. Carbon Knife Co. also has a Yoshi that is on my (very) short list.

If you've been swinging a Henks 4Star the 240 length will be ideal for you. (I bought my first 4Star in 1984 and made the same transition to Japanese knives a few years ago)

Thank you so much Dave!
May I ask what you transitioned to? Carbon or stainless? Brand?

In that price range, I'm also a big fan of the Gengetsu. You'll have to be on your sharpening game to maintain the "magic" on the edge.

A couple that I like as well are the Amekiri from Knives and Stones and Kashima from Clean cut - both made by Yoshikane. Carbon Knife Co. also has a Yoshi that is on my (very) short list.

If you've been swinging a Henks 4Star the 240 length will be ideal for you. (I bought my first 4Star in 1984 and made the same transition to Japanese knives a few years ago)

May I ask, what is your favorite all around work horse today?

Gengetsu may be at the top of the list, I've both the stainless / stainless and the stainless / white and have a slight preference for the s/s. The chestnut handle is part of the attraction. A Devin ITK and Tillman/Leder are both up there as well - and they're both stainless. I like quality stainless. Slightly less favorite is the Amekiri from JNS but it's a slim margin indeed.

A relatively new knife to me is a Zwear gyuto from HSC and a Marko WH that recently came in. I'm liking both a lot. A Haburn and a Martell also get very high marks.

"Liking" a knife is pretty subjective but these all share some characteristics that I value. A nice amount of heft, well balanced, decent to good food release, good edge retention, readily sharpen. These are all knives I take to work and can go all day and do any task.

I've got a couple lasers and one of two "beasts" (iron clad Wat comes to mind) that I like using but would not be all day, do anything knives for me. I tend to enjoy these knives at home.

No problem! The forum founder and all around great knife maker, sharpener, and fella is Dave Martell, about an hour north of Philly! I live in Chester County...not too far away.

Jason

That's really cool. I think i knew a Dave Martell from my old hood in Drexel Hill. I'm in Media. I was just out for a hike at the Stroud Preserve and a beer at 4 Dogs yesterday!

Story continued:
Way too many variables to nail down in order to pick a "bride" of a knife for a lifelong marriage. Steel type, knife type, knife size, and blades might etc. So, i decided to begin buying inexpensive used/damaged Japanese knives and working the different steels to begin to "feel" what I prefer and also hone, (sorry) my skills at sharpening. My first purchase was a "Forgecraft 9.75" inch Hi Carbon chef's knife in 1095 with a hickory handle. It looks in wonderful shape. I love the tall hollow grind with a microbevel at the edge. I bet the food will release well. I've attached a pic. My question;

Could someone please reccomend 2 or 3 wetstones that are top quality and not over priced that will suffice to keep a wonderful edge on this knife? That would also work for AS and HAP 40 or ZDP189 or R2/SG2? Hopefully this answer is easier to navigate and these stones are simpler to identify.

As always, I am grateful for anyone's time and energy. I know there is more for all of you to do than help me with my learning curve!

Respectfully

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201103-183100_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-183100_eBay.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20201103-183106_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-183106_eBay.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20201103-183110_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-183110_eBay.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 16
That is a great knife. There is a good chance that no matter what you end up with for knives that this forgecraft could end up being your favorite.

I am sure there are people that will chime in that are more up to speed on stones than I am. I think that the suehiro 5k has been a forum favorite for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Suehiro-5000-DN-Without-Finishing-Whetstone/dp/B07JLP4635
My favorite synthetic stone is the gesshin 2k from Japanese Knife imports.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-2000-grit-stone

That is a great knife. There is a good chance that no matter what you end up with for knives that this forgecraft could end up being your favorite.

I am sure there are people that will chime in that are more up to speed on stones than I am. I think that the suehiro 5k has been a forum favorite for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Suehiro-5000-DN-Without-Finishing-Whetstone/dp/B07JLP4635
My favorite synthetic stone is the gesshin 2k from Japanese Knife imports.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-2000-grit-stone

Thanks Chuckles!
I'm excited about the knife. Don't have it yet but seemed like a GREAT entry into high carbon world for 85 bucks. It's reassuring to hear that you like it!

Thanks for the rec's on stones. Then comes the whole stopping, honing, ceramic rod , sharpening steel for daily touch up. May I ask if you strop or use a steel or a ceramic rod?

Thanks Chuckles!
I'm excited about the knife. Don't have it yet but seemed like a GREAT entry into high carbon world for 85 bucks. It's reassuring to hear that you like it!

Thanks for the rec's on stones. Then comes the whole stopping, honing, ceramic rod , sharpening steel for daily touch up. May I ask if you strop or use a steel or a ceramic rod?
Mac Black ceramic rods or loaded/ bare leather are popular choices here. A few passes pre-shift on whatever stone you finished with won't take much time either and will last the day outside of acidic heavy loads on simple carbon. Forgies are great, but some of them are really reactive. Something to keep in mind if you bring it to work.

Back