A Misono “Review”...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dragon got here, and as I unboxed it, I couldn’t help but think…

0rigins.jpg

“Meh…”

A Misono cherry blossom was my first real J-knife, and it seems that 9 months is a loooong time ago. I was so pleased when I unboxed the first – obviously. But a LOT of water went under that bridge…

Still, buying the Dragon is buying a project knife. Knew that, and had a mind of my own about how I would treat this very knife. It sure needed to be “reviewed”. That poor beast needed to be freed at last.

Presenting you…

Misono Kasumi – Phase 1

1Full.jpg

We have somewhat of a two-step progression here: one concerns thinning, the other one a polishing progression. For thinning, I used Sigma 240 for the heavy lifting, and Naniwa Pro 400 to refine Sigma’s scratch pattern a bit.

2MirrorB.jpg

Thinning here is the progressive result of about 5 compound angles. Out of Sigma, the cutting side edge bevel was nearly twice as thick as the final result: the upper part of that bevel was eventually compounded into convexing. As well, I used two additional angles to thin further up the edge with the Sigma. We can still see about twice the edge bevel width, over it, that is paler and somewhat scratchier. Compounding is concentrated there. Pics will show the convexity well, the paler area where bevels were compounded is pretty subtle but also shows in some pics like the one above.

3DAFinish.jpg

When I was done with the NP400, the actual face where lies the dragon was still untouched by stone. That's when I went for some easing of the spine and smoothing the right side of the choil just a bit.

Kasumi progress was done with Cerax #700 – SP1500 – Suehiro Ouka – Suehiro Rika. Edge bevel final mirror polish and sharpening was SP5K. I wanted to avoid really coarse stones for the polishing of the whole blade, that it would mostly polish but not thin further, because work out of the coarse stones had seen to that, and I wasn’t ready to thin further without trying the knife in a prep first. Always assess work before going for the real thin behind the edge. I can already tell that I won’t thin the knife further – it already wants to just stick into end-grain cutting boards, which can be dangerous if flexing occurs while cutting. Still it’s tough enough, thick as it is.

4Choil.jpg
5Grind.jpg

Last thing to know is that I didn’t finish the left side yet – this will be Phase 2.

6Phase2.jpg

Not beautiful yet, but I do like how this shot still underlines that neat convexing of the right side...

Reason being that I mostly worked that blade like you’d do a single bevel. I didn’t go the extreme of making the left side flat for real – and don’t think I will. But I worked on it some completely flat in between every phase of polishing the right side – sort of cleaning it and making the edge bevel there real obvious in the choil shot. The thick edge bevel on the cutting side is no relief bevel but zero grind of itself – it does meet the edge. On the left side I didn’t sharpen, only deburr recreating the company angle there.

I won’t make the left side real flat because we’re on the fine line before important steering occurs as is. I’ll just work with the current equilibrium when sharpening.

For an edge that I never truly apexed from the left side, nor polished the bevel much there, it’s pretty awesome. A couple spots would catch in paper – no surprise. But with food? Superb performance already, my grind is working awesomely, edge feels sharp as hell, no resistance with food.

7Food.jpg

As a test: cutting carrots, cucumber (for lunchs not in the menu above), dicing a shallot and an onion, smashing some garlic removing the root prior, slicing potatoes for the fondant, and slicing the pork roast to serve. Pardon the dark roasted fondant, but this was TV comfort food and I love them a bit overdone. Even better than good French fries and I'm a sucker for them, so that's saying something.

Next session will be a progression of Kasumi on the left side too, and cleaning/polishing the edge bevel there on fine stones to apex. I intend to try NP3000 I just received. It will take place of Suehiro Ouka in the progression, and be the first to clean and apex the left side bevel. Should give me a pretty good idea of the NP polishing prowess and cutting speed. At the same time I will of course use it on the right side edge bevel too, and a bit of cutting paper before going Rika should tell me some about what kind of an edge it leaves.

8Dragon.jpg

Dragon looks really neat on a kasumi background – finally free and looking alive. To the extent of expressing its satisfaction blowing some pent-up fire out.

That behaved patina of Misono Swedish… 😍 Missed it a lot.

To be continued…

9Full.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work and thanks for sharing your detailed process, I certainly appreciate it!

Nice to see.

Eventually I have to start thinning some knives without an obvious wide bevel (either flat or convex) too :eek:
Setting up those new multiple angles to start convexing the shoudler and working the bevel back up seems looks kind of hard to me. Tested this on crappy SS knife (since they all have the same looks: one flat face side and one big uneven cutting bevel)

Any tips on how to approach? Ofcoarse I would use a sharpie, but the thing with sharpie is you only find out that youve missed the angle is by watching...afterwards :rolleyes:

how deep is the dragon etching? is it like an engraving or only skin deep?

Nice to see.

Eventually I have to start thinning some knives without an obvious wide bevel (either flat or convex) too :eek:
Setting up those new multiple angles to start convexing the shoudler and working the bevel back up seems looks kind of hard to me. Tested this on crappy SS knife (since they all have the same looks: one flat face side and one big uneven cutting bevel)

Any tips on how to approach? Ofcoarse I would use a sharpie, but the thing with sharpie is you only find out that youve missed the angle is by watching...afterwards :rolleyes:

Anything you do on the stone you can only look afterwards. The goal with the sharpie is to just use the weight of the blade for a stroke. You'll barely touch enough to remove sharpie. Correct angle and try again. You can also feel without seeing. Some things become more and more obvious as you do it often.

Compounding bevels is the only way to achieve convexity on a flat medium. You can either Murray Carter it, either work angle by angle. I sort of do both.

Takes practice. It's not my fourth nor my tenth... well it could be my tenth for J-Knives strictly speaking, about twenty counting practice knives, Victorinox, Diplome, etc. Thing is between first time and fourth time and sixth time and tenth time I just got the hang of it. I've done different types. I find it rather easy and I feel really good when I'm done with it. To me adapting geometry is a skill as fun to master than sharpening the edge itself. But sharpening is rather boring compared. Find your angle and sharpen. Thinning is a project, studying the blade and working with it and deciding what it takes, how to approach.

You'll get scratches where you don't want them. To this date going kasumi on the whole blade was the easiest process to that regard.

how deep is the dragon etching? is it like an engraving or only skin deep?

Deep enough - engraved, and nothing too shallow. I was worried going kasumi would remove the black print but did not at all.

That being, former Misono Cherry had the blossom fading just washing it. This one seems very resistant. I guess it may vary unit to unit.

Anything you do on the stone you can only look afterwards. The goal with the sharpie is to just use the weight of the blade for a stroke. You'll barely touch enough to remove sharpie. Correct angle and try again. You can also feel without seeing. Some things become more and more obvious as you do it often.

Compounding bevels is the only way to achieve convexity on a flat medium. You can either Murray Carter it, either work angle by angle. I sort of do both.

Takes practice. It's not my fourth nor my tenth... well it could be my tenth for J-Knives strictly speaking, about twenty counting practice knives, Victorinox, Diplome, etc. Thing is between first time and fourth time and sixth time and tenth time I just got the hang of it. I've done different types. I find it rather easy and I feel really good when I'm done with it. To me adapting geometry is a skill as fun to master than sharpening the edge itself. But sharpening is rather boring compared. Find your angle and sharpen. Thinning is a project, studying the blade and working with it and deciding what it takes, how to approach.

You'll get scratches where you don't want them. To this date going kasumi on the whole blade was the easiest process to that regard.
For the final kasumi on the whole blade did you use a stone, sand paper, finger stones, wa powder..?

Sandpaper. I own nothing related to nats finishing process. I'm just a bit too functional for that. Various experiences with refinishing taught me that I don't give a crap anymore much. Look for an easy finishing way out and live with it. This was fun though, perfect blade for that, and heed to Misono that it presented with about 0 overgrinds to mess up the kasumi process.

Seriously though I find the uchimugori powder an interesting option to try someday.

Also @Barmoley trick (not saying he owns the copyright but I learned it from one of his post) of using a cork with the stone mud sometimes help hiding a bit of things.

Is there something in particular you're aiming to shed light on?

Sandpaper. I own nothing related to nats finishing process. I'm just a bit too functional for that. Various experiences with refinishing taught me that I don't give a crap anymore much. Look for an easy finishing way out and live with it. This was fun though, perfect blade for that, and heed to Misono that it presented with about 0 overgrinds to mess up the kasumi process.

Seriously though I find the uchimugori powder an interesting option to try someday.

Also @Barmoley trick (not saying he owns the copyright but I learned it from one of his post) of using a cork with the stone mud sometimes help hiding a bit of things.

Is there something in particular you're aiming to shed light on?
Thanks,
Just interested in how to make the knife look nice after thinning.
I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube lately and they finish up the thinning sessions with wa powder or stone slurry.
https://youtube.com/user/SharpnerTOGITOGI https://youtube.com/channel/UCOZ-pJGqoUjR2-ZrDxPBkag

In other words I used nothing that you couldn't grab yourself somewhere in your home environment.

I don't impart this on some talent or extras though, this particular stone progression and nice even grind yielded results above my usual results. Cerax #700 is no smooth scratches but very even and excellent coverage capacities. Following stones worked just well to cover it. Soaked a bit of mineral oil in the #3000 sandpad before smoothing out. Then NP5K only to mirror the edge bevel and "sharpen".

i got this result on a stainless mono with the imanishi 10k just now. its really easy to get a consistent finish with this one. always a fine haze.
this is from the spine side of the knife. just a few minutes to test it on this steel. will probably go for the 12k ss instead.

mac10k1.JPG

mac10k2.JPG

now when i have it quite flat i can do several. any more you want to see?
i have the 6k gray glass, 8k pro, 12k pro, 12k ss, coticule, uchigumori, 8k cerax etc.
i think those would be the most interesting for a mono finish.

ok another shot of the 10k imanishi. this stone is very easy to work with unlike almost all my other high grits.
mac10k3.JPG

then my "big" coti. needed to work up a slurry with the coti nagura, the suction is high otherwise. this stone basically does what the imanishi does but better, the pattern is finer and its ultra consistent. very easy to work with. but its very hard. much harder than the imanishi.

maccoti1.JPG

this picture is 100% sharp. you can even see the small rust pits left lower center.
maccoti2.JPG

maccoti3.JPG

cerax 8k. i really like this stone on clad ss and clad carbon, its seems to be better with those.
with this ss mono it feels very hard and hard to use. very hard to get any type of consistent finish. its all very fine but scratchy.
i spent a long time on this one comparatively and this is as good as it gets unfortunately. now this is quite nice overall, but not compared to the other ones.

maccerax1.JPG

maccerax2.JPG

maccerax3.JPG

I feel like I need to get a misono dragon now just for that firebreathing patina

Not a bad thing I took a picture 24 hours after, because all that nicely located patina is gone now...

Dragon.jpg

Back to clean Kasumi again. In thinning the left side, some mud overflowed the Dragon side, and when I was through all stones, patina was gone.

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

Not as clean as the right side. For one thing, left side is flatter, and it just wants to suck to the stones. It did also carry a little more slight overgrinds. For another thing, I didn't take to the NP3000 so much for polishing. Possibly didn't use it to exploit its potential correctly.

IMG_8342.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

Spine beautifully chamfered and smooth now

IMG_8343.jpg

Had to give another ride on the Rika for the right side - overflowing mud had left it with buffed patches not looking so neat.

IMG_8345.jpg

Even the choil was smoothed some, just making it more welcoming.

IMG_8348.jpg

Clear as I could take it.

IMG_8326.jpg

Sharpening angle - right side - spine about 6mm up the stone.

IMG_8328.jpg

Left side ange, spine about 10mm up the stone.

Left it with a NP3000 edge for test - I love that stone for sharpening. Love the fine, aggressive edge it leaves. However, I still prefer a finer edge still - this knife was awesome with a SP5K edge. For certain knives however I'm betting the NP3000 will become my second favorite finishing stone. Possibly, bringing a NP3K edge to the SP5K will be amazing.

I'll probably just hit the left side again with the same progression the right side had: SP1500, Ouka, Rika. Ouka is an easier polisher than NP3000 for sure. I'll have to investigate the NP3K further though, problem was behavior, not so much the finish it leaves, which was quite nice where it was consistent. Then touch up the edge thoroughly with SP5K.

Steam is already blowing off though. I like the Misono Dragon, and the knife is a downright performer now, but I don't see myself holding on to it. Not jiving with me, when in need of a long french profile I just reach for my Victorinox more readily.

It was just a great project knife. If ever a Misono is to stay in my collection, I can see only one now that might, and I'm not in a hurry to get to it.

Ah yes, obviously...

MAKER
Misono
TYPE & LENGTH
Gyuto 240mm
FINISH & STEEL
Dragon Engraved Monosteel Swedish Carbon
WEIGHT / BALANCE
241g / 0
HANDLE MATERIAL
Pakka Wood / Full Tang / Brass Rivets
TOTAL LENGTH​
376​
BLADE LENGTH​
252​
EDGE LENGTH​
HEIGHT AT HEEL​
HEIGHT AT MID BLADE​
42​
HEIGHT 35mm TO TIP​
24​
SPINE
THICKNESS
HEEL​
MID BLADE​
1.7​
35mm TO TIP​
1.3​
10mm TO TIP​
THICKNESS OVER THE EDGE
@ 10/5/1mm (Choil=True*)
HEEL + 10mm​
1 / 0.7 / 0.3​
MID BLADE​
0.8 / 0.6 / 0.3​
35mm TO TIP​
0.8 / 0.6 / 0.3​
TIP**​
0.9 / 0.6 / 0.2​
... after thinning
(Actual) ...
Length / Height​
248 / 50​
Weight / Balance​
240 g / 0​
Spine thickness @ Tip - 10mm​
THICKNESS OVER THE EDGE
@ 10/5/1mm (Choil=True*)
HEEL + 10mm​
0.9 / 0.6 / 0.1
MID BLADE​
0.8 / 0.6 / 0.1
35mm TO TIP​
0.8 / 0.5 / 0.1
TIP**​
0.8 / 0.6 / 0.1

you will probably keep it!

i also have a hammered one. it one of my best knives. the steel responds very well to high grit stones. feels nice on the stones. keeps an edge long. burrs are no problem.

i have tried polishing the hammered parts (and you probably want to do this or it will rust), and then tried etching it with oxalic acid (turns black/dark gray then). very good project knife imo.

i pimped mine out. this was 2018.
corian1.JPG

Left side ange
It was clear from the start that you had some kind of "little extra something" in the way you handled this knife... Now the secret is out - it sounds like you even have one for each side. :)

Back